StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I currently own a SV650SK5 and a SV1000SK6. I'm thinking of trading in the SV1k for a DL650 but I have a few questions please. I tried to do a search but did not find anything talking about ride quality with lowering links.

The DL650 is a little tall for me so if I install the Kouba lowering links how will this affect the ride quality? It seems to me that you still retain the full travel of the shock so will the ride be harsh with longer dogbones installed? Besides lower ground clearance are there any drawbacks to lowering links?

If this makes the ride harsh it will defeat the purpose of buying the DL650. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
As long as you raise the fork tubes to match, there is no change in the way the bike feels or handles. You just lose a little ground clearance and cornering clearance. Lowering or not lowering the front will have no effect on ride quality but the steering wll be a little slower if you don't. Rocks, ruts, and leaning in corners like you're a superbike racer can make metal to ground contact sooner is all.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That's what I needed to hear, I'm only going to drop the rear 3/4" so raising the forks to keep the bike balanced should not be a problem.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The longer links have a bit more leverage, so you will have to crank up the preload a bit. If you are a heaver rider, you might have to put a heaver spring on.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rickster said:
The longer links have a bit more leverage, so you will have to crank up the preload a bit. If you are a heaver rider, you might have to put a heaver spring on.
I'm only about 155 without gear so I don't think that should be an issue. Once I pick up the bike I will install the dogbones before I setup the sag on the suspension. I'm really hoping to pick up the bike by the weekend. I'll have a whole new toy to start buying parts for. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts