Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave the DL650 I bought off of someone its first wash today. I am pretty sure that is a fork brace in the upfront picture but just wanted to check.

Which has made me wonder if those installed links are lowered or originals.. any ideas?

Side question should I spray some degreaser on the top of that link to clean it up?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Looks like stock links to me. I use a degreaser down in that area now and then because I'm a bit of a clean freak.
The brace looks like one of Rick's. His products are top notch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just took my stock links (cushion rods) off and put on a set to drop the rear 3/4". As said earlier, those look identical to the ones I took off.

Lowered the bike because I have trouble getting my leg over the seat, one, and I prefer to have my feet spread a bit further outboard on the sides. Straight down just feels too tippy. Three quarters of an inch seemed like the best compromise to lowering with out having to change the side stand, and wearing a hole in my rear fender. Haven't ridden it yet until I get the triple clamps tightened from raising the front forks to match.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks like stock rear dogbone link.

You call that dogbone link dirty? Ha! You haven't seen mine. Mine are filthy compared to yours. Must have the combo of sticky chain lube then later I added Tutoro auto chain oiler.

I also dropped lowered my bike .75 inch and dropped the front as well. I have read that it improves the handling making it quicker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good to know what they say about the drop. If I can get my feet down, with a bit of bend left in the knees, I am thing I have gained something. A slightly lower center of gravity couldn't hurt as well. Got out my micrometer and worried the two fork tubes to within .005" of each other. I am sure, overkill, but it took just a little time.

What are the advantages of the fork brace. I had one on my Hodaka 100 for mountain trail riding, mostly because someone told me I should. Putting one on a (primarily) road bike is new to me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you search for fork brace on this site or google in general you'll see there's not exactly a consensus. Some say they don't do much, others say they noticeably sharpen cornering on the road and make the bike easier to control off pavement. I don't have one, but am considering it. Seems like a pretty cheap and easy upgrade.

The idea is that adding a third point of connection between the tubes makes for a fork better able to resist torsional forces, ie less flexy. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ordered one from richlandrick this morning, regardless. I agree that is seems like a cheap and easy upgrade. Time will tell.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ordered one from richlandrick this morning, regardless. I agree that is seems like a cheap and easy upgrade. Time will tell.
Fork brace made a noticeable difference on my k7. I can feel the improvement a little when hard breaking or cornering, but it really makes a big difference keeping the bike stable feeling on windy days, big improvement there.

·
Vendor
4,554 Posts
I can put my hand on a bible and tell you that more than 99% of any kind of feedback I get on our fork brace is that it is simply works well. I remember feedback posted here about braces where the owner could not tell a difference. They were not our braces. They were braces made by another company that someone handed to someone else and said copy this and put my name on it. See Vender Feedback forum area.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dealers-vendors-member-experiences/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts