StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hestitate to post this due to my pride, but I want to save some other rookie from making the mistake I made while installing lowering links on my DL650. I do not have a center stand, so I used my Pit Bull rear spool stand instead. BIG MISTAKE!!

The bolts holding the links in place were under pressure, so I used a small floor jack to relieve it under the links. When the second pin slid out, down came the bike and fast. Not even a chance to attempt to balance the bike.

Anyway, now I need the usual OEM parts associated with a right hand drop. Brake lever, turn signal, and hand guard. The passenger rt foot peg saved my exhaust. The mfg will soon add a comment similar to this in the instructions.

DO NOT USE A PIT BULL REAR STAND OR ANY STYLE REAR STAND TO INSTALL THE LOWERING LINKS.

Ok, I'm braced for your comments. Be nice.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
DO NOT USE A PIT BULL REAR STAND OR ANY STYLE REAR STAND TO INSTALL THE LOWERING LINKS.

I won't beat you up. I'll just clarify, for those who don't know, that you really need to raise the rear in such a way that the swingarm is free to be moved up and down.

I've dropped mine in a couple stupid ways too. ;)

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
One of the reasons why these bikes shouldn't be lowered........how was that for a comment?;) Get a centerstand......just makes these bikes even more versatile.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I hestitate to post this due to my pride, but I want to save some other rookie from making the mistake I made while installing lowering links on my DL650. I do not have a center stand, so I used my Pit Bull rear spool stand instead. BIG MISTAKE!!

The bolts holding the links in place were under pressure, so I used a small floor jack to relieve it under the links. When the second pin slid out, down came the bike and fast. Not even a chance to attempt to balance the bike.

Anyway, now I need the usual OEM parts associated with a right hand drop. Brake lever, turn signal, and hand guard. The passenger rt foot peg saved my exhaust. The mfg will soon add a comment similar to this in the instructions.

Don't feel bad. You're not alone. I had to lower two bikes and used a rear jack stand. Just like you, the bike came tumbling down...on me.

I thought I understood what happened the first time, so I did something a little differently on the second. Well, it came tumbling down also.

Clearly, doing the lowering on a jackstand is a bad idea. What's the right way?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Before I had a centre stand (makes life so much easier), I would place jack stands under the passenger footpegs to hold the bike up to service the rear suspension.

Sorry to hear you pranged up your bike and your pride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Proper steering geometry?

Now I'm really glad I have my center stand installed!

I will be adding 1" lowering links to my 02 DL1000. I'm not too worried about the side stand as it works fine even with a 1" block placed under it.

My question is, how far I should raise the fork tubes in order to maintain proper steering geometry. Should I go 1" front to 1" rear? Is there a better formula?? Opinions?

I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and Corbin seat.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
A keen sense of the obvious: If you're gonna do your own maint, a center stand is essential.

·
Registered
172 Posts
From reading here and other places, don't lower your front more than 3/4". Or you may have problems with hitting the fender on fork compression. That's what I dropped mine.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Can someone explain ~why~ the bike topples over after the link is removed when the bike is on a rear jackstand? I'd like to understand the physics better.

We changed one while the bike was on the side stand. Although it didn't topple over, the process was a colossal PITA...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The swing arm is connected to the pivot and the links. Take off the links and the tire slams into the fender. It's like ripping the shocks off a dual shock bike. I don't even see how you managed it. When there is no more space for the body to go down, the energy of motion has to go somewhere. While it may go into tire deformation and just bounce a few times, it usually develops a sideways component and knocks the bike over. It's akin to locking up a front brake and having the tire go to one side and drop the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
The swing arm is connected to the pivot and the links. Take off the links and the tire slams into the fender. It's like ripping the shocks off a dual shock bike. I don't even see how you managed it. When there is no more space for the body to go down, the energy of motion has to go somewhere. While it may go into tire deformation and just bounce a few times, it usually develops a sideways component and knocks the bike over. It's akin to locking up a front brake and having the tire go to one side and drop the bike.
Now I know, thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Now I know,
I doubt it! :confused: The total lack of common sense displayed and then written about on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I am surprized someone has not gotten hurt when some of you have your get together rides.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updated directions from mfg:

I shared my mishap with the mfg and to their credit they amended their posted instructions.

1. Set the bike on the centerstand; if you don't have one, it would be best to jack up the bike and support it so that the rear wheel is off the ground. Do not use a rear wheel stand, it is possible your bike will fall over at some point during the installation if your do!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I shared my mishap with the mfg and to their credit they amended their posted instructions.

1. Set the bike on the centerstand; if you don't have one, it would be best to jack up the bike and support it so that the rear wheel is off the ground. Do not use a rear wheel stand, it is possible your bike will fall over at some point during the installation if your do!
Its amazing everytime they think they have all their bases covered with warnings and cautions someone such as yourself and Scooter prove them wrong.:mod2_stupid::mod2_stupid::mod_lol:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
And this is not the correct lift for changing the shocks on your car.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Its amazing everytime they think they have all their bases covered with warnings and cautions someone such as yourself and Scooter prove them wrong.:mod2_stupid::mod2_stupid::mod_lol:
Sorry, but we bought lowering links in bulk, 12 sets. They came with no instructions or cautions, period. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Just 24 of them neatly bundled in shrink-wrapped rubber-banded in sets of two, all in a plastic bag wrapped in bubble pack.

Additionally, the Service Manual states (I quote) "Raise the rear wheel off the ground and support the motorcycle with a jack or wooden block". That's it.

No where we could find was it ever stated to NOT use a jackstand or support the swing arm. If it had, we wouldn't have done so.

We had to figure it out ourselves.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, but we bought lowering links in bulk, 12 sets. They came with no instructions or cautions, period. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Just 24 of them neatly bundled in shrink-wrapped rubber-banded in sets of two, all in a plastic bag wrapped in bubble pack.

Additionally, the Service Manual states (I quote) "Raise the rear wheel off the ground and support the motorcycle with a jack or wooden block". That's it.

No where we could find was it ever stated to NOT use a jackstand or support the swing arm. If it had, we wouldn't have done so.

This is true. Sometimes you try new things and you get bit. I guess that is why they sub title this the "brag page good and bad." By the way, my comment about the manufacturer updating the instruction sheet was a compliment.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts

That is a short comming of some manufactures they incorrectly assume they are dealing with someone that knows what they are doing. Sorry but some people should not be working on things that are beyond their common sense and reasoning ability. Example would you disassemble your loaded gun for cleaning while looking down the business end of the barrel.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
This is true. Sometimes you try new things and you get bit.
Correction sometimes you try foolish things (stupid) and it jumps up and bites you in the A$$.:confused::confused: remember
"Life's Tough.....It's even tougher if you're stupid"

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
That is a short comming of some manufactures they incorrectly assume they are dealing with someone that knows what they are doing. Sorry but some people should not be working on things that are beyond their common sense and reasoning ability. Example would you disassemble your loaded gun for cleaning while looking down the business end of the barrel.:confused::confused:
How many 535hp V-8 motors do I have to build from scratch, or British cars do I have to restore before I "know what I am doing", Mortaine?

Your comment is flatly incorrect, at least in my case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts