StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bought a new 650 2011 bike and wish to lower it an inch or so. I am short in legs. i bid on a set of Kouba Link V-Strom 650/1000 Lowering Link Set V2 on ebay for 40$ but the seller advises that they do not come with bushings or washers. Is that a problem as i would like to install them myself with the help of a frieind who has done this before.
thanks for any advice
Jim

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
:) Not to worry. The Kouba links do not come with bearings or washers even when you buy them new from Kouba. You do not need them.

Simply remove your existing dog bone links and install the Kouba Links on your bike exactly as the OEM came off,

If you don't get installation instructions with the ones you bought, Email me directly at [email protected] and include a Fax Number.

I will be happy to Fax you a copy of the instructions,

If anyone else out there needs a set of Kouba Links, I have One Set here that I ended up getting for a friend that did not need them.

Let us know how your install goes,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
146 Posts
Don't forget to raise the front forks the same amount in the triple trees to drop the front end the same amount as the rear to keep your steering stock.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is the link to the links & installation instructions. Kouba Link

However you might find that your kickstand is a bit long & you may need to shorten it, at best be careful using when using the kickstand it will be much more vertical now. :yikes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
The Kouba 2 will lower your Wee 1 & 1/8 inches. You won't be able to raise the fork tubes this much due to interference with the ABS block.

Earl

·
Registered
267 Posts
I lowered my VEE & I didn't do it again to either one of my WEE'S. It compromised the handling of it especially when loaded up for a trip I would just flat run out of clearance and suspension on the rear riding aggressively. Once on a trip in Mexico riding with a buddy on a R1100GS I had to just give up trying to keep up with him in the corners & it was not for the lack of power or talent on my part it was because of the lowering of the VEE. Personally it is not worth it too me but as they say "your mileage may vary " :argue:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Assuming you had sidecases & top case full of stuff-how much did you personally weigh(PM me if it's a sensitive issue-):yesnod: at the time of the bottoming issue?

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have bought a new 650 2011 bike and wish to lower it an inch or so. I am short in legs. i bid on a set of Kouba Link V-Strom 650/1000 Lowering Link Set V2 on ebay for 40$ but the seller advises that they do not come with bushings or washers. Is that a problem as i would like to install them myself with the help of a frieind who has done this before.
thanks for any advice
Jim
I'm "inseam challenged" myslelf (28.5 inches), and lowered mine 7/8,raised the front forks as much as possible (as to not interfere w/ABS), removed the rubber pads in the seat, and cranked up the preload 6-7 cliks. All of this made the difference for me - before lowering, I could only get one foot one the ground, and backing into parking spots was very "exciting" .I use mine primarily for commuting (slab) with a top box (laptop/lunchbox), and I weigh about 190lbs - the lowering works fine for me (i do ride twisties, but probably not like alot of the hotshots on this forum do ). So far, so good - no funny handling, no tankslappers, etc. I've even jumped it a couple of times (not very high of course) and it's never bottomed out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm going to see if I can learn to deal with only getting the balls of my feet on the ground before modifying anything. Good to hear some people are comfy with mods though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm going to see if I can learn to deal with only getting the balls of my feet on the ground before modifying anything. Good to hear some people are comfy with mods though.
I think the consensus would be that trying it without the lowering is best. I should have added that I dropped mine twice before lowering it - my other bike is a KLX250s, which hold 1.9gals of fuel and is<300lbs. The Wee, with a 5.9 gal tank, is (relatively) top heavy and took some getting used to.

I'd also suggest crash bars, BTW ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Assuming you had sidecases & top case full of stuff-how much did you personally weigh(PM me if it's a sensitive issue-):yesnod: at the time of the bottoming issue?
Just a little north of 200lb. Maybe 210lb

·
Vendor
5,011 Posts
:) Hi, With bags and at load it is quite possible to bottom out a stock DL650 Shock, Check to see if you are leaking anything from the shock,

If it is good try swapping out the spring for one matched to your weight, For about $150 for the Quality Spring, Adapter Brackets and shipping you could do it yourself in an evening or Saturday morning.

The other end of the scale is go all in and order the Premier Elka for our bikes and I am sure your bottoming out issues will be a thing of the past,

With the right weight Spring on your OEM Shock, it will not be perfect and give you all the control and ride of an Elka but it will make the bottom out part much less likely and your sense of control on the bike at speed will definitely be enhanced,

If I can help you out either way or in any way for that matter, Email me directly at [email protected] and I will get you looked after right away,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think the consensus would be that trying it without the lowering is best. I should have added that I dropped mine twice before lowering it - my other bike is a KLX250s, which hold 1.9gals of fuel and is<300lbs. The Wee, with a 5.9 gal tank, is (relatively) top heavy and took some getting used to.

I'd also suggest crash bars, BTW ;)
Dropped it twice!? Yikes!

I do plan on getting crash bars ASAP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm short with short inseam. When I picked up the bike at the dealer I could only tip-toe it. In result, tipped it over at a stoplight 500 yards from the dealer. :thumbdown: I was extra careful for about next 200 miles until I got the seat shaved about half of an inch which made slight improvement at stops. After another 200 miles I replaced the dog bones (1 inch lowered) and raise the forks (3/4 inch). Now I'm very comfortable with both of my balls of feet on the ground and I can walk the bike on saddle as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Im 5'9" and 160 pounds. Lowered my wee. I use a bestem trunk, no side cases, and love the confidence of being able to place both feet firmly on the ground while commuting in stop and go traffic. Maybe there is a trade-off in performance, but I could care less. I dont race the thing. Lower it. Be comfortable and confident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2009 wee. I lowered mine 3/4" in the rear and about 10mm in front. Scooted forward I can just barely flat foot. I notched the front part of the stand so it swings a little forward increasing the lean angle. Mine fell over twice on me but the SWmotec crash bars saved the day. Both drops were operator error at a stand still. My inseam is 30" and I weigh 209. I'll be going to Big Bend NP next weekend and we will see how I am able to handle class II and class III roads. I ride 2 miles every day on my commute to and from work on a Class II road and when it rains it is a very slick class III. I think I'm ready. If any of the other inmates plan to be in the park feb 23-24-25 you will recognize us, me on a silver grey Wee and my lawyer (Crawford on a black GS 1050. :hurray:

Jerry

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's worth saying that just getting on a bike and riding, parking lot to parking lot, is one thing and stopping where there are large variations in surface height are entirely another. Many bikes have been bought by short riders,esp. women & sold quickly due to unsafe stops. I can "ride" them all, just cannot land them all.:thumbup:

Thread Request: When you contribute comments subsequent to lowering your bike, please include info as to your inseam ,etc., to allow others to relate to your changes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
minor thread hijack-cutting seat rubbers

I raised the forks 3/4" and put on adjustable dog bones. Feels much better.

Read about cutting rubber support pegs under stock seat 1/2" or so, wondering if anyone's done that on a Corbin.

TIA Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
94 Posts
From all the above, this is what I see as the lowest a 2012 Wee will go:

32.9" starting seat height
-20mm low seat option
-1.125" Kouba dogbone
-1/2" shaved seat rubber cushions

Equals=30.48" lowest possible (rear only ) lowering unless you alter the seat more. FWIW, my BMW R1150R with low seat option is @ 30.7" and what with my weight of 220#'s may squat some too. Now, the only math left is- I have to sell my wife on a new bike vs. hearing aids...:headbang:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts