StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a while now and haven't found an exact info I need so I figure I throw the question out to the forum. I have a lowered wee strom and am in the market for a skid plate and engine guards. I like the Pat Walsh version, but the site says that it isn't recommended for lowered bikes. Anyone have this set-up with a lowered bike? Any issues with it contacting the ground while cornering?

My alternative is the SW-Motech combo. Same question - any issues with the skid plate hitting the ground while cornering on a lowered bike.

Just some info about myself:
I weigh about 155 - 160 lbs and am not that aggressive of a rider.
I do plan to ride mostly on the road, maybe a fire road here and there
Putting the stock dog bones back on is not an option - I have a short inseam

Additional info about the bike: it also has a center stand (not sure if that matters).

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I've been searching for a while now and haven't found an exact info I need so I figure I throw the question out to the forum. I have a lowered wee strom and am in the market for a skid plate and engine guards. I like the Pat Walsh version, but the site says that it isn't recommended for lowered bikes. Anyone have this set-up with a lowered bike? Any issues with it contacting the ground while cornering?

My alternative is the SW-Motech combo. Same question - any issues with the skid plate hitting the ground while cornering on a lowered bike.

Just some info about myself:
I weigh about 155 - 160 lbs and am not that aggressive of a rider.
I do plan to ride mostly on the road, maybe a fire road here and there
Putting the stock dog bones back on is not an option - I have a short inseam

Additional info about the bike: it also has a center stand (not sure if that matters).

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike
I have touched down the PW bars, but that is with the forks pulled up 12mm in the triples and at VERY elevated cornering speeds. They would probably be ok for you. However, if you ground the bars hard, the end result isn't going to be pretty.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
once upon a time, i had a lowered wee (for 3 months, before i put it back to stock ) and it grind on left turns on the rear left edge. I took an angle grinder and proceeded to grind that corner off. first time it happened scared the shit out of me.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Take a look at the Hyde racing belly pan.

It's plastic, but very tough and it's moulded to fit the bike so I doubt you can grind it. Even if I'm wrong about that, it's not going to have the same consequences as hitting a solid metal one, it'll just bend out of the way.

Pete

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Take a look at the Hyde racing belly pan.
+1
IMO it's the best looking plate anyway and if the Wee is lowered your are extremely unlikely to be doing anything other than gravel road work which the Hyde plate is perfect for.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the hyde racing plate, it follows the exhaust pretty tightly, I would say it hangs down an inch below the exhaust at the lowest point. The rest of it is formed up around the bottom of the engine. It hasn't bottomed out on turns, and I doubt it would. Works great for the gravel roads, and its light!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I have an Alt-Rider skid plate and crash bars, and I *think* I have a lowered 650... no problems so far, and the Alt-Rider provides excellent protection. I do not have a centerstand (yet).

Still a little vague on whether mine really was lowered or not... a casual remark just as I was riding off from the dealer... they said they thought the PO had lowered it, but they weren't sure... gotta measure the link when I get a minute.

But in any case, the Alt-Rider has not provided any problems so far. The caveats are that it is spendy (it came with the bike) and I am not impressed with Alt-Rider's customer service... they have not answered a couple of queries sent them.

FWIW...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! Love the suggestion, especially since I won't be touching metal to the pavement. This happens with my cruiser floorboards all the time and is a little unnerving, especially when you're not ready for the scraping sound.

Does the Hyde Racing plate fit with the OEM center stand?
I have no issues taking the time to remove the plate with oil changes, etc - any other concerns regarding maintenance?

Also, I noticed that every search I did for the Hyde plate also showed oil cooler covers in the pictures. This is obviously a primary reason for the skid plate in the first place. Suggestions on where I can get an oil cooler cover? I saw one on fleabay from some place in the UK. Are there others commercially available?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Suggestions on where I can get an oil cooler cover? I saw one on fleabay from some place in the UK. Are there others commercially available?
The one in the photo I posted is the one that comes standard on the bike. When you see the Hyde Racing plate fitted you will see that it's unlikely that a stone thrown up from the front wheel will be able to hit the oil cooler anyway.
The damage to the oil cooler myth is exactly that. I don't recall ever seeing a post on this or any forum about anybody actually damaging an oil cooler in normal riding (not crash related). It may have happened but if it has it's so rare that you probably have more chances of winning a lottery.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just ordered the Hyde Racing plate. Looking forward to installing it.
Thanks all for the suggestions and for dispelling a myth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts