StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody on the T.O. to London corridor (roughly) have a lowered Wee with a centre stand that I could try out for ease of use? I don't care what brand it is.

PM me and we'll set something up.

TIA,

Glenn

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm at the other end of the province - down around Kingston - so a little too far away for a test heave.

What I can tell you is that I have a K9 Wee that's lowered by 3/4" both front and back, and it's a royal pain to get it up onto the centre stand. Quite doable with a bit of practice, but certainly not easy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
lowered

I'm at the other end of the province - down around Kingston - so a little too far away for a test heave.

What I can tell you is that I have a K9 Wee that's lowered by 3/4" both front and back, and it's a royal pain to get it up onto the centre stand. Quite doable with a bit of practice, but certainly not easy.
Almost friggin impossible to get it on the centerstand in my case - same setup - so I took the centerstand off again

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's all about technique. I was a 64 year old retired desk jockey when I had my bike lowered 3/4" at both ends and I had no trouble even with 3 pieces of full luggage.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
And same here. I am lowered 1 1/4 inches, 60 years old and arthritic. Still no problems getting it up on the center stand. Practice, practice, practice...

It is leverage, not brute strength.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the problem seems to be that lowering the bike reduces the leverage (puts the lever in a more upright position when it first contacts the ground).

I've never had any trouble with my other bikes, but I've never lowered them either.

Thanks all.

Glenn

·
Registered
713 Posts
And same here. I am lowered 1 1/4 inches, 60 years old and arthritic. Still no problems getting it up on the center stand. Practice, practice, practice...

That's the ticket, lower your own c. of g.

It'll likely happen, as you're practicing, practicing, practicing...

Marc

·
38,103 Posts
Put all your weight on the tang. I use my right foot but left dominant people have done better with the left foot. On my old 800lb+ Yamaha full dress XS1100E, I had both feet off the ground to make sure all my weight was on the tang.

Standing on the tang with one foot and knees bent with both legs of the center stand on the ground(vital), hold the luggage rack with the right hand and the left handlebar in the left hand with right arm extended downward. Straighten your legs and pull up directly away from your foot. Don't pull to the rear and don't have any of your body weight on the unused foot. All your body extension is focused on making the luggage rack to center stand tang distance longer. You lift with your legs and body, not with your arm.

I was worried that being in my sixties when I started riding again after 16 years away would make putting the bike on the center stand difficult. I put everything I had into it and I thought the stand broke so I frantically tried to keep the bike upright. It turns out I just put the bike on the stand so easily I scared myself.

·
38,103 Posts
That bit never occured to me. I wonder how long it will take to 'unlearn' using my right foot...

Glenn
If it works, why change?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Wee was lowered 3/4" up front and 1-1/4" at back and I have had no issue rolling the bike onto the SW-Motech centre stand. However, I need to put all my 135 lbs onto the tang to make it work!

Yes, it is doable.

One trick would be to roll the back tire onto a 1/2" thick board and it should be no brainer.

EOTS

·
Registered
672 Posts
Bike lowered, I use a board in the garage and bike just pops up on center stand. A little more work on the road, but till no problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I usually don't have any problem lifting my bikes on the stand, but 30 years ago I started carrying a pine wedge about 6 inches long made fron a 2X3 it's about 1-1/2 inches thick,, it weighs almost nothing and makes using the stand just soooo easy, especially usefull when your packin a pile of luggage , and/or you have a flat, and the bike is sittin real low .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts