StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cancelled my order for lowering links and decided to try dropping just the front first, to see if the bike would sit noticeably lower, and also to experiment with geometry (thanks Graywolf!)

First run was forks raised 15mm. It was definitely lower in the seat, but once I took it out on the road, I decided that I didn't like it too much - a little squirrelly at low speed (especially when decelerating to a stop) and required too many corrective inputs at highway speed. But it sure felt snappy.

I rode home and dropped the forks back to 10mm from flush. Immediately knew this was a sweet spot. Low speed maneuvers feel just like stock, but at speed - wow!

I am used to riding the local sweepers and twisties on a CBR125 and CBR250 - both of which are known for very quick turning and almost falling into curves. The stock glee is obviously much more stable but as a smaller rider, I found initiating and holding turns on the bigger bike took a little too much effort and energy - I missed "thinking the turn and having it happen". Almost felt like understeer after my last bikes.

Dropping the front half an inch fixed that right up. I now find it much easier to countersteer into a curve at speed without having to muscle the bike. Definitely a worthwhile mod to consider.

PS the rear wheel now has an additional 1/2" of clearance on the centerstand. Still easy to get up onto it. No sidestand problems either.

Reactions: Ameriom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The stock Glee is a little taller in back than the Wee so, despite the published rake and trail figures being the same, the new bike is actually a bit quicker steering. 15mm more would be a lot. Lowering the front a little is easy, free, and often a worthwhile experiment. Let us know if there are any differences at speed or in windy conditions. There may be none as the new bike has better aerodynamics.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find little difference in high speed or crosswind stability with the new geometry - the fork brace has much more of a noticeable effect in these situations. This leads me to believe that problems such as nose lift have been eliminated in the 2012 design.

Lowering the front up to 10mm on the new bike affects mostly how fast it starts turning, and for me feels like it corrects a little understeer. Stock or with brace it is already a very planted bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts