StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So embarrassingly enough I just dropped my vee for the second time today, it fell away from me while putting it on the center stand... and for the second time I broke the peg mount bracket.

Obviously the root cause is me dropping the it, however it seems that it keeps breaking in the same place because the lowering links aren't allowing the peg to fold up properly(as designed).

I will be removing the links so it doesn't break again ($100 with shipping) since me not ever dropping it again is wishful thinking.

Curious if anyone else has had this part break with or without lowering links.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
Whoa...I have not seen that here yet....but I am kinda new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also new here

I have broken lots of stuff and from the pictures it seems like a material quality issue. You might try a different manufacture.

The pegs should not break when the bike falls over.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The peg should fold up whether is stock position or lowered.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hard to pinpoint that failure on anything since you dropped the bike from an upright position to the ground, WHAM. Not like an entire frame fractured, just a bracket. I've dropped bikes from an upright position on pavement and the carnage list was wayyyyyy lengthier and expensive, four digits just for parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The OEM's are cast and would be more prone to break than a machined billet piece. I know Richland Rick makes machined lowered ones, not sure if he makes stock height ones? Do a little search to find his website here. IIRC he is a paying sponsor here or on VSRI site.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Do you have engine guards or frame sliders? Not sure where the contact points would be.

I'm wondering what caused it to fall putting it on the stand...apparently the stand wasn't fully down and locked? Maybe the pivot point for the stand just needs cleaning and lubrication? If it was going into soft ground, try a bolt-on kickstand foot like the one from Adventure Tech. That will also keep it slightly more vertical. Or you could just put a small piece of thin plywood under it.

A couple of times I nearly lost mine when I would move it slightly forward while the stand was down and then lean it back over, not realizing I had dragged the stand and it moved back slightly. I just try to remember to check it every time now - give it a little kick forward with my foot.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yes , we broke one on a stock set up. Had large bags and crash bars and still got the peg mount. If the lowering kit works for you , leave it. Based on my experience , it's neither here nor there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes , we broke one on a stock set up. Had large bags and crash bars and still got the peg mount. If the lowering kit works for you , leave it. Based on my experience , it's neither here nor there.
Same here I had all my luggage on and crash bars up front. Thankfully I didn't break the pannier.

Add far what made me drop it, I was backed too close to the curb so it wasn't fully on the center stand, I stood next to it rather than sitting on it when I rocked it forward and was on uneven pavement....this is where the moron factor comes in, it wasn't a mechanical malfunction with the stand I just dropped it...

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I just noticed something. Your broken peg mounting bracket is Aluminium...it should be steel...at least mine on my '07 Wee is steel. I don't think you have OEM peg brackets.

Good observation and you are correct. :thumbup: I just checked mine with a magnet and it is steel. Only the peg is aluminum.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I am an impatient kind of fella....can any Glee owner here go stick a magnetic to their peg bracket? I find it hard to believe that Suzuki would try and save weight at the peg brackets, but I guess it's possible.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I am an impatient kind of fella....can any Glee owner here go stick a magnetic to their peg bracket?
Mine are steel.

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
hmmmm....I wonder how Bob ended up with aluminium peg brackets on his bike....odd ain't it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I just looked it up and the 650 brackets are a completely different part number and look different in the breakdown compared to the same year 1000. It appears they went steel on the 650 and aluminum on the 1000, possibly just to save weight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts