StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all...

The Firefighters Burn Fund is having it's 5th annual Vancouver - Whistler charity ride on Sunday, June 3rd. (Minimum donation is $25.)

More details are posted here: http://www.vrombc.com/

I'm thinking I will attend, was anybody else interested showing up?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I'm off on the 3rd. As vfxdept posted earlier, it would be nice to field a "Strom" contingent at a couple of these events.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Count me in

V-Stroms UNITE!

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, guys. It looks as though I won't make this ride. Duty calls - well, I'm on call for the weekend which means I have to be within a certain distance of work.

Drats....
So, will you show up for breakfast anyway?

Enquiring minds want to know!

- BCB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Whoops - posted this in the wrong thread. I'll go on the charity ride but can't make the ride for the 20th. Will post there as well. I was wondering where my response was....

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Splat and I are bouncing it back and forth, but we haven't settled any real details yet.

(Except the "if it rains I'm going back to sleep" part!)

- BCB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sunday Looks Good

Sunday looking good for me. Anyone else still up for it?

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More info

I received the following email yesterday, FYI.

Come by early and register, the first 150 riders will receive a Gift, sponsored by TGAA. This year you can choose between a pair of:

Sunglasses with pouch or a Polo Shirt

Registration starts at June, 7 AM, 1724 W 4th Ave @
Flying Swan Coffeehouse

If you would like to fill out your registration form in advance, you can print it out by visiting this link:

http://vrombc.com/eventfiles/reg_form.pdf

The ride will leave around 9.30 AM.
Doorprizes will be given out in Whistler, starting at 1.30 PM

All details and info about all the great doorprizes we have this year can be found (without signing in) at

http://vrombc.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=953

or

http://www.vrombc.com

Last year we managed to raise nearly $ 8000.- for the Kids. Please come out and be generous and support the Children's Burn Camp

Let’s try to hit the $ 10.000 mark this year.
Splat suggested we meet up between 9:00 and 9:15. I'm thinking the street in front will be a madhouse, so I was wondering if we should meet on one of the quieter side streets...

I'll let you know more when we decide which way is up.

- BCB

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Logistics...

... are not my strong suit.

The best thing I can come up with is :

Show up early - 8:30 - 9:00 or so, with your form pre-filled out.

Here's the link to the registration form:

http://vrombc.com/eventfiles/reg_form.pdf

Park on the street somewhere on 4th ave and register at the Flying Swan.

Splat and I will try to meet you on foot, at the corner of the lane east of Pine st. between 4th and 5th ave sometime around 9:00am... I'll be wearing a red Stromtrooper shirt.

Never having done this ride before, I don't know what to expect.

I am led to believe that this is a staged ride, but I don't know how the stages are organized.

That's about the best I can suggest.

- BCB

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
bummed

Sorry folks, not going to be able to pull it off:(

Well, I spoke too soon!!!! Plans have changed and I am now planning on attending:).(May have a buddy on a cruiser in tow). I have never ridden on one of these rides before. If it is a staged ride, does that mean we would have to registar together to ride together, or just hook up before departure and go???? Lookin' forward to it.

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, the 5th annual (my first) burn fund ride is in the bag...

At the end of the day we raised $7500 - enough to send three kids to the burn camp.

There were four of us from the site showed up - 3 650's and me on a 1000. There were three other Stroms there - but I didn't get a chance to talk to the riders.

The weather was pretty hot and muggy in Whistler. It was odd being so warm and seeing people walk by with skis and snowboards! (Sorry, no pics.)

Speaking of pics, here are a few from the ride:

The start of the ride, 4th and Burrard in Vancouver.

Prior to the ride, they asked all the female riders to pose for a "girls only" shot in front of a fire truck.

Naturally, the boys turned up to watch!

I stopped halfway up to take a shot of some of the riders in action. Unfortunatley, I didn't communicate my desire to do so to my fellow Stromtroopers, and found them all at the side of the road waiting for me. Does anyone know a hand signal for "Hey guys, continue riding, I'm just going to stop and take a few photos?"

When we got up to Whistler, we managed to snag side-by-side parking in front of an appropriately named store.

Another shot showing all our Stroms, and our group ride leader Jimmy.

As part of the ride, we got to park our bikes in the main areas of Whistler village, generally off-limits to vehicles.

I heard one tourist comment on the "bike show", he was wondering if there were any good deals on bikes... :smile:

Lee actually won one of the door prizes - a firefighters jacket. Here he is, trying on his new prize. (Nice T-Shirt!)

Fits pretty good, don't you think???

Thanks to all that showed up!

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hey BCB:

Nice pictures. A lot better than the few the I took. I'm thinking, though, that V1Vr should have removed the water bottle from between his legs before shooting the photo. Hmmm......

·
Curmudgeon wanna-be
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey BCB:

Nice pictures. A lot better than the few the I took. I'm thinking, though, that V1Vr should have removed the water bottle from between his legs before shooting the photo. Hmmm......
Like I gave him a choice!:twisted:

Actually, they turned out pretty well considering I could barely see the screen on the camera!

- BCB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts