StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the Midwest area interested in trying a IBC ride? I've been wanting to try the Lower Great Lakes 1000 for some time now, around Lake Erie and Ontario in 24 hrs or less. I don't want to try it solo though. Anyone interested?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=28

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tap tap tap, is this thing on?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
Let me check this out when I get some time. I might be in to it!!

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
MZ, lets talk about this at Big B's tech day. I would like to see the route and find out about the border crossing. My passport is expired and I can't remember what it takes to go into the Great White North(and back out of).

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure! The downside of any IBC ride I think is that in order to stay within the time constraints, we probably have to stick to the slab most of the way. I really want that patch though :)

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
We should sit down with a map and figure out some way points and times. This would help me/us get a feel for the speed needed to do this. I have to agree that most will have to be on the slab.

·
Registered
334 Posts
well, like i posted in the ohio tech-day thread, i can't make May 5th due to a hockey tournament in Hamilton, Ontario that weekend.

and i can say with certainty this: you won't need anything other than a copy of your birth certificate to re-enter the USA. and you don't even need that to enter canada-simply a drivers license. let me also mention that the last time i crossed i wasn't asked for anything other than what i was doing in canada and how the tournament went. the time before that the US customs wanted to see my B-cert. but the time before THAT i was also waved through with just a driver's license. and sort of cleaned up now but that year i was working some serious O.T. and had a bit of a Ted Kaczynski look to me.

when is this ride? i'm looking forward to getting an Iron Butt out of my way (since i've had the bike three whole weeks now) and, although there's one in Michigan, i'd consider hopping down to the Ohio to get it done, depending on when it is.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heh, I'm with you BobbySands, I've only got 500 miles on mine, and I'm already thinking of 1000 miles in 24 hours!

I was thinking that the whole passport thing is only for air travel, and based on what you're saying that must be correct. Hamilton Ontairo eh? I'm an air traffic controller at Cleveland Center, and Hamilton is just outside the airspace that I work. I work airplanes in and out of Hamilton all the time. Anyway, no date set at all, in fact we've got plenty of planning yet to do before we try this. We'll keep discussing it, I've planned out a tentative route on Microsoft Streets & Trips, so that's a start.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ahhh.... i thought you were talking about a IBA sanctioned ride. the one i was referring to up here is run by them, the route is set, there is registration, verified distances, etc etc. seems to be a bit easier to get every thing verified if they sanction it.

but i wouldn't mind doing it with you fellows either. sounds like fun and a bit more interesting than criss-crossing the state of michigan back and forth. other people from this area have ridden straight down I-75 to knoxville and back (about 1012 miles) to get their's. SNOOOZE.

·
Registered
115 Posts
IBA Rides

You only have to average 41.666666666 mph to make it in 24 hrs. You don't need to stay on super slabs. When I did my SS1000 completed it in about 18.5 hrs. The difficult rides are there extreme rides. The BBG1500 (1500 miles in 24hrs) is there easiest extreme ride. You have to average 62.5 mph. Fuel stops and backed up traffic can kill ya on that one.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I did a quick route and came up with 1039 miles and 17 hours & 32 minutes. I will play around and try to make more back road less slab. We can compair notes at breakfast on Saturday then again at Big B's. This will be a cool deal!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm all about it. Although I'll probably have to pony up for the Kaoko throttle lock or something beforehand.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I'd like to do something like this and make it not a boring ride as well.

I'll chat with some of you guys at Big B's get together and we can figure out something I'm sure.

Tige

·
Registered
704 Posts
When is this happening? I might be in too. Something I've always wanted to try. The longest I've done so far was a 12 hour trip from Youngstown Ohio to Southern Indiana and back. I hope the seat on the 650 is better than the stocker on the ST1100. The last 3 hours were nothing but pure pain.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We've set no date. I'm just gathering interest. We still have more to discuss I think before we try something like this.

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
We've set no date. I'm just gathering interest. We still have more to discuss I think before we try something like this.
I think we will need several "meetings" to iron out the specifics. Just me, but I for 1 would really like to have a solid plan before starting something like this. I would even like to do a few long days to "train" for the event. Just make sure the seat is ok, windshield, tweek the suspention, you know, the little stuff that will make this really cool or a total pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't agree more. I think the key to making it a success is plan it out just right, with every stop accounted for, etc. My thoughts are if you can do 100 miles every two hours, including breaks, you'd be done in 20 hrs. Sounds like a place to start anyway. But a couple training missions are in order. Maybe like up to Niagara Falls and back would be a good start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone in the Midwest area interested in trying a IBC ride? I've been wanting to try the Lower Great Lakes 1000 for some time now, around Lake Erie and Ontario in 24 hrs or less. I don't want to try it solo though. Anyone interested?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=28
Good Luck. Completed the 1000 last September from Central WI, north through the UP, south along western part of Lake Michigan, and finished in Milwaukee. Don't expect a speedy certification as it has been six months since I submitted all the documentatioin. With nearly 70% of the trip being non-interstate travel of 35-55mph, we completed the ride in 22 hours and change.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How was it? Good time, or a literal pain in the arse?

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I've been all over the Great Lakes area because I'm a fan of Canadian and Michigan fishing.

The scenery East and North of the Georgian Bay is spectacular, as is the route around Lake Superior. It's the geology that makes it so. Parry Sound on the Georgian Bay also seems to be a hot spot for bikes in the summer.

Around the lower Great lakes it is kind of.......not as spectacular. 401 is a boring straight slab and is just about the only East-West route on Lake Ontario's North shore. Lake Ontario's fishing is spectacular, but the scenery, not as much. I can't go anyway, just sayin'................

1 - 20 of 26 Posts