StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 DL100. Newer battery which seems to hold a charge well. I have a volt meter on the bike. When I start riding the voltage output is 14-14.9 volts but as things get hot as in 80 degree weather/stop and go traffic, the voltage rapidly drops off 13...13.5...12.0....11.8... eventually to a dead battery. After things cool and the bike is started (pushed or battery jump) volt output is back up to 14-15 volts??? I'm thinking voltage regulator.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'm thinking voltage regulator.
That was my first thought too but it's just a hunch. More and more older Vees have been showing up with loose rotor magnets.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,549 Posts
We have been seeing quite a few rotors with loose magnets. Quite a few stator problems also and heat could be a factor with those. I have NOT seen any regulator/rectifier issues for a while, although some owners like to replace them with the MOSFET style.

Might be a good time to test the leads from the stator one at a time for a short. With an ohm meter check each of the three leads to ground. Any reading at all ( even .6 ohms or less ) is a sign of a problem. You can also check between each of the three leads with engine running. Set meter on A/C and between leads at 5000 rpm you should see about 80 volts and all leads should test VERY close. Beyond that, take the magneto cover off and inspect the rotor magnets.

·
Registered
22,391 Posts
that's exactly the symptoms my SV650 has when the RR failed, it was tough to diagnose, every time I dropped it at dealer, they had cold RR to test, wasn't until one day I happened to be riding by and it was hot that we finally figgered it out

on my Vee, it was stator, but symptoms were not the same, it was not charging cold or hot

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
doesn't seem to be that its loose magnets if it comes back when cool
It would not be likely. It's just that R/R reports are so rare though that fits the symptoms perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts