StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always had problems with my throttle wrist getting sore after even comparatively short rides. On my old ninja i attributed this to the riding position and the weight i put on it. So i was disappointed to find it was just as bad with my glee.

Tried grip puppies (slightly better, but not much) and a Go Cruise (useless for non-highway riding, and in the way of my fingers).

My low tech solution is to zip tie an old dress sock to the grip to form a slight wrist rest. It's enough that i can relax and stretch my hand while riding, but doesn't get in the way during braking or anything else. Not pretty, but my wrist feels great!

Patent pending :p
1375392759544.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
You realize there are very inexpensive options out there don't ya, like the throttle rocker and the crampbuster?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You realize there are very inexpensive options out there don't ya, like the throttle rocker and the crampbuster?
True, but 1) they aren't free, and 2) they seem like they would prevent you from getting a good grip on the throttle during a panic stop or off roading (or at least cause you to gun the engine while you do). Granted i haven't tried them, so maybe not.

Much like a V-Strom, it may not be the most attractive but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Are you above average height?

If you still have weight on your wrists after coming from sports bikes to the more upright riding position of the Wee perhaps you need bar risers.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My low tech solution is to zip tie an old dress sock to the grip to form a slight wrist rest. It's enough that i can relax and stretch my hand while riding, but doesn't get in the way during braking or anything else. Not pretty, but my wrist feels great!

Patent pending :p
View attachment 47041

:confused: i don't get it :confused:

how does it work or help or benefit at all??

to me it looks like a sock zip-tied to a grip...but hey i guess if it works for you then rock on! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I ended my wrist pain when Coach Stroud gave a tip at the BMW gathering in Wy. a few years ago. Keep your wrists straight or bent down but never up and after applying this the pain ended.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm 6-1, so bar risers may be a good tip.

I wish i could claim it's more sophisticated, but sock & zip tie is it. It works because it provides a little bit of a flat surface on the cylindrical grip so i can just lean with my palm instead of gripping the...grip.

This may be related to my hand position (i almost always have the brake covered), so maybe some folks don't have this issue.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
zip tie an old dress sock to the grip
Note that this is this guy's 20th posting. He just posted this so he can sell his spare matching wrist support in the for-sale forum. :yesnod:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I ended my wrist pain when Coach Stroud gave a tip at the BMW gathering in Wy. a few years ago. Keep your wrists straight or bent down but never up and after applying this the pain ended.
This helped me a bit, barback/risers stopped almost completely. BTW, I am 5'-4", height doesn't really matter for the pressure, it's more torso length that will help/hurt.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I hear that a jockstrap zip tied on would work even better.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
True, but 1) they aren't free, and 2) they seem like they would prevent you from getting a good grip on the throttle during a panic stop or off roading (or at least cause you to gun the engine while you do).
Do whatever works for you, but the Throttlerocker/Crampbuster solution was designed for the problem you're trying to solve. I have them on both grips to support my wrists and keep my arms relaxed.

One problem I see with your solution is that it's not adjustable. On long, high speed highway runs, you'll probably wish it was in a different position, so you don't have to crank your wrist down so far. This is easy to do with a Crampbuster.

I've never encountered a problem with interference with controls, myself. On the contrary, fine throttle adjustments at the low end are much easier with a Crampbuster, since the Wee's throttle is crude and snatchy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you above average height?

If you still have weight on your wrists after coming from sports bikes to the more upright riding position of the Wee perhaps you need bar risers.
Risers and a Vee seat did it for me and my Wee. I'm 5'11", 180, with 35-36" arm length and 33" inseam. Getting "higher" made the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts