StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was climbing some pretty huge hills (paved) yesterday and my Strom felt sluggish compared to what I'm used to. It could also be me being sluggish as I was feeling sick when I was riding (I have a slight fever now).

Now the bike is fully loaded (two 38.5 Happy Trails panniers, 46L givi top case, dry bags for camping gear, crash bars, and a steel skid plate. Not the lightest of ballerinas, this one ;p.

Specifically I noticed:
1) In one of the gears, with full throttle, the bike would not go any faster up a steep hill. I wish I would have kept track which gear that was.
2) In general, the bike's acceleration just didn't feel as punchy as I remember it.

Now I made it to my destination (Xela, Guatemala) without incident. But I'm wondering if there's something I can check that might be the culprit (spark plugs, air filter, etc).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Isn't the valley floor there about 7600' elevation?...2300-2400 meters? The engine loses about 3% of its power for every 1000' of elevation gain due the reduced oxygen in the thinner air. You're down about 23% of the engine power due to the elevation.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1) In one of the gears, with full throttle, the bike would not go any faster up a steep hill.
Downshift if you need more power and are not already near the red line.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't the valley floor there about 7600' elevation?...2300-2400 meters? The engine loses about 3% of its power for every 1000' of elevation gain due the reduced oxygen in the thinner air. You're down about 23% of the engine power due to the elevation.
I am at 7600' feet currently; and likely was even higher before when I was getting through the mountains (i'd have to consult my gps). I had no idea I would loose that amount of power just due to altitude. I was thinking the fuel injection system would make up for that; but I guess every engine is susceptible to altitude.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
I was thinking the fuel injection system would make up for that; but I guess every engine is susceptible to altitude.
fuel injection can only adjust the fuel air mixture on the fuel side of the equasion, it can't put oxygen in the air that isn't there

last week I watched some hill climbs with a new electric powered car, awesome, electricity doesn't need oxygen, pure torque from bottom to top

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I guess every engine is susceptible to altitude.
Yes for naturally aspirated engines. A turbocharger can pump in the added air the engine can use, but that's a whole 'nother complication.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fuel filter or screen. I have a buddy that had the exact same symptoms. It was a dirty/partially clogged screen. He replaced with a GSXR 600 fuel pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts