StromTrooper banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
You're mistaken. Read your manual again. I posted a screen shot from the manual earlier in this thread which says to hold the bike "vertically" when checking the level.

Sounds like your bike is waaaaay overfilled. I'd quickly fix that.

All our bikes lean at different angles on their side stands due to different tire types, tire wear, suspension preload, ride height mods, etc. Because of this they wouldn't ask people to read a side stand level.
Yup, you're right. I screwed that post up. I'm sorry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So I did a little experiment.

As you can see below, strictly following the 3 min idle + 3 min rest instructions in the manual gives a level that's actually lower than when read cold. The 3 min idle time brought the engine temp up to the second bar on the dash.

My oil level is tilted slightly wonky compared to the fill lines because my front end is lowered a little. The bike leans a little more forward on center stand as a result.

One day soon I'll add a 3rd pic showing hot oil with longer rest. This is full synth 10W40, FYI.

From your experiment it would appear that rather than the oil expanding it's the engine that expands when warm which increases the interior volume, in effect, lowering the oil level. Am I interpreting this right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You guys make it too complicated.
I just check it stone cold and have the level near the top mark it doesn't hurt the bike and my dealer has been a wee and v owner since they were first produced and he also fills to the top mark and always has.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You guys make it too complicated.
I just check it stone cold and have the level near the top mark it doesn't hurt the bike and my dealer has been a wee and v owner since they were first produced and he also fills to the top mark and always has.
Yup, when all is said and done this is how I've filled every motorcycle that has a sight glass and not one problem. Same with any other vehicle, check it cold and fill to top line. Never a problem in 40 years.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts