StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just did a quick Google check and it looks like the difference in Volume between 15°c and 100°c is about 6.5%, at least for Fuel oil which I suspect is similar...
My only real-world experience with this was with my recently-owned BMW R1200R. When the oil was cold it would cover about 60% of the sight glass. When it was up to temp it would rise all the way to the top. Of course that bike held more oil volume. Haven't experimented with this on the V-Strom.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
My only real-world experience with this was with my recently-owned BMW R1200R. When the oil was cold it would cover about 60% of the sight glass. When it was up to temp it would rise all the way to the top. Of course that bike held more oil volume. Haven't experimented with this on the V-Strom.
If I get a chance this weekend I am going to look at oil level cold and after idling for three minutes and see how it differs (if at all.) I wonder if on BMW's horizontally opposed engine it is harder for oil to drain back and if they use an internal dry sump system.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,216 Posts
My BMW's never seemed to show less when the oil was cold.

Older BMWs needed to be allowed to rest on the side stand for a few minutes, then put on center stand. This allowed the oil cooler to drain into the sump. They are not dry sump engines. Once on the center stand, a glance at the oil window would give an accurate gauge of oil level.

Many owners would add a bit as it seemed low, but then it would be over full. This was due to not allowing the oil cooler to drain back into the sump. Once you owned the bike a while, you could go directly to the center stand and although it might be a bit below halfway on the window, you knew it was going to be spot on allowing for the oil cooler volume.

Being in the clutch basket business for V STroms, I often get asked about what brand oil to use. My response is "enough"! In my opinion, if you can see the oil in the sight glass when the bike is level, it is probably safe to ride. Over filling isn't good, as it can put more pressure on seals and force oil mist into the airbox. Not rocket science. Get it close to right and it is good to go. Just check it often.....

·
Administrator
16,616 Posts
Your not allowed to mention that brand you use?! Jeez a little strict there Tom. I don't care who uses what. I only mentioned the brand as it relates to cost of an oil change when you change 4 qts.

Meh .. its your house your rules but over moderation sucks on all boards.
Meh....you're the new guy here, and no this isn't a new rule or "over moderation".

·
Registered
468 Posts
Page 7-20. 2018 Suzuki V-Strom: Check the oil with the bike on a level surface ON THE SIDESTAND.
Run at idle for 3 minutes then let it sit for 3 minutes before checking.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "check the oil with the bike upright" stuff.
You're mistaken. Read your manual again. I posted a screen shot from the manual earlier in this thread which says to hold the bike "vertically" when checking the level.

Sounds like your bike is waaaaay overfilled. I'd quickly fix that.

All our bikes lean at different angles on their side stands due to different tire types, tire wear, suspension preload, ride height mods, etc. Because of this they wouldn't ask people to read a side stand level.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Sounds kinda dangerous checking the window hunched over while the bike is balanced level. Could get away from you. Does the centre stand get it close to accurate? I think I will make note of the position on the window at the next oil change after putting in the specified amount while on he centre stand

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Sounds kinda dangerous checking the window hunched over while the bike is balanced level. Could get away from you. Does the centre stand get it close to accurate? I think I will make note of the position on the window at the next oil change after putting in the specified amount while on he centre stand
Should be, the problem is that the centerstand is an option so they can't say - check it on the centerstand

·
Registered
468 Posts
Does the centre stand get it close to accurate?
Yes. Plenty accurate

Of you don't have a center stand you really should own a paddock stand to maintain the bike with. They're not expensive.

Sounds kinda dangerous checking the window hunched over while the bike is balanced level.
No hunching required. Not hard to hold the bike upright and look down at the site glass while standing. Or, borrow a buddy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Meh....you're the new guy here
Really .. are you five. Are we in elementary school? Is V tom your lady and you felt it necessary 5 days later to chime in in his defense.

Cute.

He seemed to state his piece quite succinctly all by himself. I dont think he needed you.

"Your the new guy"?? LOL .. Do I have to go through some type of initiation in order to be part of the cool kid crowd.

I didn't really succumb to that type of dumb ass peer nonsense when it should have mattered .. I am certainly not going to be bothered by it now.

Unless of course you guys have a secret handshake and some sort of hat

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Page 7-20. 2018 Suzuki V-Strom: Check the oil with the bike on a level surface ON THE SIDESTAND.
Run at idle for 3 minutes then let it sit for 3 minutes before checking.

I don't know where you guys are getting this "check the oil with the bike upright" stuff.
I think you are confusing checking chain slack with checking oil level.

Chain slack is given with the bike on the sidestand. Oil level with the bike vertical.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Really .. are you five. Are we in elementary school? Is V tom your lady and you felt it necessary 5 days later to chime in in his defense.

Cute.

He seemed to state his piece quite succinctly all by himself. I dont think he needed you.

"Your the new guy"?? LOL .. Do I have to go through some type of initiation in order to be part of the cool kid crowd.

I didn't really succumb to that type of dumb ass peer nonsense when it should have mattered .. I am certainly not going to be bothered by it now.

Unless of course you guys have a secret handshake and some sort of hat
I think you are playing with fire and should consider very carefully what you just said and if you want to remain a member here.

..Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think you are playing with fire and should consider very carefully what you just said and if you want to remain a member here.

..Tom
Please feel free to ban me but be sure to remove me from your active subscribers list. I don't need to help you generate Ad revenue by helping to inflate your community numbers. This is evidently not the Forum for me and all the information here can be had elsewhere.

I dont appreciate people piling on. The matter was settled several post ago.

I will not now, I have never and I will never sit idly by and be bullied. You are right .. I belong somewhere else.

·
Administrator
16,616 Posts
Please feel free to ban me but be sure to remove me from your active subscribers list. I don't need to help you generate Ad revenue by helping to inflate your community numbers. This is evidently not the Forum for me and all the information here can be had elsewhere.

I dont appreciate people piling on. The matter was settled several post ago.

I will not now, I have never and I will never sit idly by and be bullied. You are right .. I belong somewhere else.
You started/made the comment about over moderation, so where/what is the perceived bullying you speak of? Google will basically link most questions related to these bikes here to the forum, so most information you seek will indeed be found here. Just like Red roof Inn says......we'll leave the light on for ya. I piled on because I'm a MOD, and I have the backs of the other MODS.......have a wonderful day and we hope you stay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just a guess. Since a three-minute idle won't significantly heat the oil, there may be an anti-drainback check valve for the oil cooler. With age those sometimes leak oil back into the crankcase. If your bike is sitting long that may make your oil level appear higher through the site window unless you idle the motor enough to fully fill the cooler.

Idling three minutes should do it. The manual says idle on the sidestand! Maybe they don't want to tire you out holding your bike upright for three whole minutes.☺

I usually crouch down next to the right side of the bike while it's on the sidestand, grab the right grip, and pull the bike vertical for a quick look. Even if I lose my grip, it just tilts back over onto the sidestand.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Since we're big on correcting inaccuracies around here, that would be Motel 6.

:grin2:
ban him for correcting (erh bullying) mods! :grin2:

·
Registered
468 Posts
So I did a little experiment.

As you can see below, strictly following the 3 min idle + 3 min rest instructions in the manual gives a level that's actually lower than when read cold. The 3 min idle time brought the engine temp up to the second bar on the dash.

My oil level is tilted slightly wonky compared to the fill lines because my front end is lowered a little. The bike leans a little more forward on center stand as a result.

One day soon I'll add a 3rd pic showing hot oil with longer rest. This is full synth 10W40, FYI.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts