StromTrooper banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,551 Posts
It seems that the OP is clinging to one piece of incorrect data.
Either he did not put in the amount of oil he thought, and the sump is underfilled, or he did put in the amount of oil he said - and the sump is over filled. I hope he works out which.

Reactions: nuke

·
Administrator
14,141 Posts
... oil level doesn’t even register low in window when bike level. must lean way past level to see full. no, it’s not leaking. WTF???
Here's a stupid question:

What way are you leaning the bike?

..Tom

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,551 Posts
3 quarts is 3.4 liters, way over the 2.4 liters required.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,551 Posts
Goddamit. Imperial quarts is not U.S. quarts. Why do you always need to have your own values?

So digging a little deeper, 3 US quarts = 2.8 Liters (still too much).
Just imagine if the rest of the world had Australian liters, French liters, and Egyptian liters? Why do you guys have to make something seemingly obvious so complex. :rolleyes:
And then there's gallons. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Goddamit. Imperial quarts is not U.S. quarts. Why do you always need to have your own values?

Just imagine if the rest of the world had Australian liters, French liters, and Egyptian liters? Why do you guys have to make something seemingly obvious so complex. :rolleyes:
That's why they put a window with a "F" and "L" line. No math.

·
Registered
367 Posts
32 ounces = 1 quart (US) = .946 liters according to smart phone.

I gave up trying to figure my mpg when I rode to Canada and fuel charged by the liter instaed of gallon. Made my head hurt.

Yes I wonder if the oil is so clear it is difficult to see. Not a problem with the Chevron Delo 15w40 I just put in the bike since store was out of my normal Rotella. That Delo is dark when new.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always fill the filter up with oil before replacing . Make sure you get plenty of oil in before you install.

·
Registered
76 Posts

I'm with you on this one. Having been raised with Imperial measure and switching to Metric in 1976, Metric is so much easier. When in grade school in the 50s we were required to learn the difference between Imperial and American measurements. Going into Junior High (long before switch over to metric) we learned Metric as most sciences used metric. I still have the conversions from one to the other stuck in my mind. Just to further confuse things, my career was in aviation; we used statute miles for visibility, nautical miles for speed and distance and feet for altitude. Back to my original statement Metric is so much easier. :D

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,551 Posts
I was raised on imperial as well.
1,760 yards in a mile (or 5,280 feet), and twelve inches in a foot.
Then there's 16 ounces in a pound, 14 pounds in a stone, and 2.240 pounds in a ton - except unless its a US ton, which is only 2,000 pounds.

This must all go back to some ancient measuring system - except of course for the US pioneers desire to change their units to confuse the English. :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think we adopted the metric system in mid-1800s but have never abandoned the other systems we use too.

Long career on the water, have to check the nav charts to be sure they're in fathoms, feet, or meters. I prefer fathoms.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
216 Posts
When we were in Puerto Rico the speed limits signs were in mph but the "mileage" markers were all in kilometers.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Riiiight...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts