StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
experienced rider of 40 years. just did first oil & filter change on this bike. added a hair over 3quarts in ‘14 dl650a. calls for 2400ml. ran it. sat for 5 minutes, 10 min... oil level doesn’t even register low in window when bike level. must lean way past level to see full. no, it’s not leaking. WTF???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I measured based on what came out of new 5qt jug window so, must mean from completely full new jug but still shouldn’t be that off. guess i need another 40 years experience. anyway, here’s to hoping a new dimension isn’t the coolant system worm hole.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
@skimiemo, kindly define / clarify your definition of the bike being level. To me, this could mean anything from, the tires are standing on level ground, but resting on the side stand or the bike is on level ground but upright / vertical, as though a rider is seated in the saddle, to the bike is standing on level ground but vertical on a main stand or a swingarm stand. Each of these postions would give a different oil level in the sight glass.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
219 Posts
Start it and run it a few minutes then shut it down, let it sit a few minutes and see where it's at.
My Kawasaki Concours (both if them) would show low/high/ok from one day to the next without running them. It was about like a barometer going up and down. Got so I changed it, added four are and never looked until it was change time again. Much like the ST1300 and the Wing.
Another good reason to use single at/liter containers I suppose (but usually I don't).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah; the bike needs to be level (front/back, side/side) and not on the kickstand or the centerstand. Unfortunately, this takes 2 people, as there's no real way to do this AND squat down to the level of the site glass to get an accurate look.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yeah; the bike needs to be level (front/back, side/side) and not on the kickstand or the centerstand. Unfortunately, this takes 2 people, as there's no real way to do this AND squat down to the level of the site glass to get an accurate look.
You really don't need two people for this. With the bike in first gear, push it forward to take up the slack so it can't go any further forward, then put the sidestand down. Go round to the right side, grab the front brake with your right hand and the passenger grab bar with your left and pull it towards you until its level. You don't need to squat down, the sight glass will be right in front of you when you look down. Once you get the picture, gently lower the bike down making sure that the sidestand is still fully deployed.

BTW the difference in oil level from perfectly level vs on-the-centerstand is not huge. You could always use some object under the front wheel to bring it up a little bit.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Start it and run it a few minutes then shut it down,
Good advice in general, but do keep an eye out for the oil pressure warning light. If this does not extinguish within seconds after starting, then shut the bike down immediately. This means that the oil level is so low that the oil pump doesn't pick up any oil and you're now running the bike without lubrication. That could cause severe damage within seconds.

·
Registered
507 Posts
experienced rider of 40 years. just did first oil & filter change on this bike. added a hair over 3quarts in ‘14 dl650a. calls for 2400ml. ran it. sat for 5 minutes, 10 min... oil level doesn’t even register low in window when bike level. must lean way past level to see full. no, it’s not leaking. WTF???
Isn't it 2700 ml for oil and filter? 2400 would be short 300ml kfh000. Update -- capacity with filter is 2750 mo for 2012 model.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Actually 3 quarts would be too much and more than 2400 or 2750 ml. Imperial even worse. To be honest I put in 500ml at a time and have lost count getting to 5.5. Maybe this happened to you?

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
219 Posts
Good advice in general, but do keep an eye out for the oil pressure warning light. If this does not extinguish within seconds after starting, then shut the bike down immediately. This means that the oil level is so low that the oil pump doesn't pick up any oil and you're now running the bike without lubrication. That could cause severe damage within seconds.
If you have a couple qts (or more) in there the level won't be too low to worry about lack of oil getting to the pump.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Proper way to measure oil level is to hold it upright, not on center stand.
Are you sure the oil level is not beyond the top of the sight glass? Some oil types are fairly clear when new. Can you see the top of the oil in the sight glass when leaning the bike, ie on the side stand? If so, it is slightly overfilled.
3 qts= 2.84 L
max fill with filter is 2.75L

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,590 Posts
Checking your oil doesn't have to be a circus act!
Yes, the "perfect" way is to have the bike on the tires perfectly vertical while inspecting the site glass.
Nothing else is perfect, and the oil level doesn't have to be either.
Many of us that have added center stands ........check our oil level while on the center stand.
To be "perfect", you could see where the oil level is with bike on tires and level. Then see where THAT oil level is in the site glass when on the center stand. You will be disappointed to find it is damned near the same! Ever so slightly more to the full side. Not enough to matter.

·
Administrator
14,153 Posts
Centerstand on a level surface is perfectly fine. The reading with the centerstand is slightly optimistic (ie it will look like there is slightly more oil in it than there actually is. Fill it to the top line and you are good to go.

I feel it is more consistent than trying to get the bike exactly perfectly level every time.. Over 600,000 km of doing it this way on my Stroms would suggest there is no issue with it.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,590 Posts
My guess is that it is over filled and op thinks it isnt up to the sight glass. Clean oil.
Good point!
That has happened more than once before.......

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
On my first long trip with my then 2 week old '16 DL650, (800 miles and first oil change done), the level appeared low when I checked at various gas stations, on what seemed to be a perfectly level surface next to the gas pump. When I got home, in my garage, the level was exactly where it was when I changed it a week/1500+ miles earlier.
The tiniest bit off level makes a big difference in the window. 2750 ml (with filter), always works for me.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
My guess is that it is over filled and op thinks it isnt up to the sight glass. Clean oil.
That was my first thought but he does say in his fist post he has to "lean way past level to see it full" so that tells me he is low not high.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts