StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode hard today up and over Sonora Pass, a 10,000 foot elevation change, in 100 degree weather, lots of full throttle acceleration and some sustained 80 MPH 2 lane hwy, and filled up 4.6 gallons with 250 miles on the trip meter. So that means I had 1.3 gallons and could have gone another 60 miles or so. Amazing. I just rolled over 10k miles and I think the mileage is getting better.

This thing doesn't seem to vary much, I can ride it gently or really flog it, either way I get mid 50s MPG.

·
Welfare Funder
375 Posts
I rode hard today up and over Sonora Pass, a 10,000 foot elevation change, in 100 degree weather, lots of full throttle acceleration and some sustained 80 MPH 2 lane hwy, and filled up 4.6 gallons with 250 miles on the trip meter. So that means I had 1.3 gallons and could have gone another 60 miles or so. Amazing. I just rolled over 10k miles and I think the mileage is getting better.

This thing doesn't seem to vary much, I can ride it gently or really flog it, either way I get mid 50s MPG.
I think my tank is only 5.5 gallons. Is yours 5.9?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also filled up today, 255 miles on the trip meter (mixed city / hwy) and 4.65 gallons. Best mpg ever! Mileage is better with very hot temps....it's been in the high 90s / 100s here this last week. I guess it provides for a leaner mixture.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I also filled up today, 255 miles on the trip meter (mixed city / hwy) and 4.65 gallons. Best mpg ever! Mileage is better with very hot temps....it's been in the high 90s / 100s here this last week. I guess it provides for a leaner mixture.
Coming back from Montana the other day, wanted to make up for lost time due to a late start, only got 30mpg.:confused: Might have to do with winds, luggage, and 85-90 mph :thumbdown:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I HAVE actually ridden the distance to see if I could do it. 306 and 310 miles were my maximums before I couldn't stand it any longer and made myself pull over for fuel.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Less the volume of the internal fuel pump? Someone figured it out once, at 5.6___ something.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Less the volume of the internal fuel pump? Someone figured it out once, at 5.6___ something.
I ran it dry once and had to push a half mile. It took 5.6 gallons. I could prolly have fit in more but it was one of those pumps that was impossible to feather the flow rate. It was either ON or OFF.

I have done 300 miles on a tank a couple or three times, when I'm going easy with the right hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I HAVE actually ridden the distance to see if I could do it. 306 and 310 miles were my maximums before I couldn't stand it any longer and made myself pull over for fuel.
I did the same thing 2 weeks ago - 315.7 miles with 5.236 gallons, yielding 60.3 MPG. The last 20 miles I stopped 2 times, opened the fuel lid, and shook the bike to see if I could hear any fuel sloshing around. Didn't hear much the last time.

My mileage is generally around 56 - 58, but seems to be improving - 8400 total miles on a 2009. I suspect that removing the top case has made some difference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only difference I see is with luggage and windshield resistance. When I have my side cases on and my Manta windshield (winter configuration), I get around 45. When I have my stock shield and no side cases I get better than 55. In all cases I am riding on the slab at a consistent 80mph. I don't tend to measure the milage when I am being a hooligan on the twisties. I love the range of this bike!!!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Un huh

Enjoy your mileage those who buy a 2012 will get a smaller tank which makes no sense to me what so ever.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
At least the old Wee will forever retain one degree of superiority over the new version - fuel capacity. Whether the new one is more stingy with gas, remains to be seen.

Which is irrelevant, due to the whims of the right wrist......

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't get how you guys get 300+ miles to a tank, I am lucking to get 210 miles on a tank. Of course I haven't rode a full tank without my GIVI windshield and my 36L side cases so I am sure that is a big cause of it.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Enjoy your mileage those who buy a 2012 will get a smaller tank which makes no sense to me what so ever.
What if it gets better mileage, resulting in an equal or greater range?

I've gone 283 miles on 5.5 gallons.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My average is 64 MPG. I dip into the 300+ miles per tank on a regular basis. Best / longest tank so far was 337 mile and still had some gas left. Best millage so far was 67.9 when I was trying to conserve. I think the 2012 is supposed to get better millage so the reduction in volume is a wash. I'm skeptical though. I'm 175 ponds, fairly easy on my wrist and have a 15/43 sprocket setup which I think contributes to my exceptional millage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is pretty amazing for an average... Nice!

My 2009 averages about 55 mpg, and I've broken into the low 60's on a few tanks when I've been riding real nice and easy. It's a great feeling out west, where filling stations can be few and far between, to KNOW that there's a solid 250 miles of range available, and likely closer to 300 if necessary.

Personally haven't pushed mine much beyond 250 miles. That's actually a fair bit of range for a motorcycle.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree: Love that range.

I'm a new wee owner and have only put 5-6 tanks through mine. What amazes me is that I've gotten well above 250 mile mark several times and haven't pumped more than 5 gallons yet. The two stage blinky nag bit is new to me. I did not expect the gauge to warn at all with > 1 gallon (nearly 20% of the tank) remaining.

My average so far is 56MPG. I'm very, very happy with that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was feeling pretty good about my milage, 51 - 56 mpg, until I found out the odometer was about 8% off. 47 - 52 mpg just doesn't sound as good. Any one else checked theirs? Just wondering if they're all off about 8% or if it varies bike to bike. (Mine is an '09).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts