StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a TL1000, with a Yosh exhuast. The deeeep, loud growl of that thing was awesome. I have a DL1000 now, with stock exhaust. I'd really love to either modify my stockers, or buy a good set of cans.

Which exhaust is the loudest / deepest?!?!?!?!?!?
(without popping, or sounding like a fart in a bathtub)

I don't care about pissing off the neighbors with the loud sound. They are A-holes anyways. I'm also a proponent of "if you hear me coming, you won't make a stupid move to run me off the road in your car"...

Are the Two Brothers exhaust the loudest?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup after riding with them for about a year a couple of budies of mine have stated "damn those are loud". Followed by "but they sure sound good". Nice thing about them is you can put the baffle back in with one set screw. Look great too! Bolt one nice and easy.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Got "2" words for ya........ Leo Vince!!!!!!! Baffles in, sounds like Yoshi...baffles out, sounds awesome!!!! :wink:

Greywolf....these engines don't sound like Harleys, and are actually quieter than MOST inline 4 exhausts! Good harmonics sounds much different than loud and obnoxious Harley and Metric twin pipes. There is NO COMPARISON!!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
greywolf,
you remind me of a blue-hair shaking their fists in the air when a motorcycle rides by. If it's too much for you, wear some earplugs. I'm not an obnoxious rider. I can tell you how many times that a car has gotten out of my way, AFTER IT ALMOST ran into me/cut me off, when they heard me coming. You can go ahead and get run off the road with your tweety bird exhaust pipes. I won't have a problem being heard, and SAFE! The exhaust note I'm looking for is deep and throaty. they aren't even as loud as a Harley, like the other guy mentioned. What are you going to do, petition the world to ban Harley's, and their loud pipes?

Get off your soapbox with me, you're wasting your time. Just read the paper in your lazyboy, and hush everybody that makes noise in your house...

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
We may be the only two, but I'm with Greywolf. It's not about that "loud pipes save lives" nonsense--even though it's been scientifically proven to be a myth, people who want to believe it will believe it and there's just not much point debating it with them. My objection is to this statement:
I don't care about pissing off the neighbors with the loud sound. They are A-holes anyways.
Great attitude, and one that endears the rest of us to the non-biking world. Glad I'm not your neighbor...
Want to be sure the cagers hear you? Get a Stebel horn and lay on it if threatened; 139 decibels move 'em out of your lane pretty quickly :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
We may be the only two, but I'm with Greywolf.
No, you're not the only two. If people feel they need obnxiously loud bikes to get through traffic safely perhaps they should think about how they are riding in traffic. I outgrew the need for loud pipes when I was about 14 or so.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Silence is Golden !!!!! Loud pipes mean you can't hear anything else on occasion and that is dangerous in itself. Noise fatigues a person and the hearing loss accumulates until it is irreversible. I hear loud bikes every day going by on the highway and they are very annoying to say the least. I have been complimented on the quiet bike that I ride. A Stebel horn is in the mail at present for when I need to be loud.

·
I rock at logic
368 Posts
Reverendbiker said:
I'll be the fourth. I don't want to be told I cannot take my motorcycle
somewhere simply because someone else came through before me
with straight pipes on their bike and pissed off the entire community.

When I have my windows and doors closed and my neighbor rides
by on his Harley with straight pipes, crap in my house actually rattles.
That's not cool, that's not "being safe", that's just damn annoying.

Make your bike sound nice, make it rumble a bit, but please don't
make it loud enough to piss off everyone around you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Its my opinion that no muffler (s), running straight pipe (s) is to loud. Also running muffler (s) with no or burned out packing is probably very close to being to loud. However most aftermarket end-cans for the Vstroms are not really all that loud. The most popular Scorpion or Staintune end-cans have life time internally wrapped baffle (s). They never need replacing and is the best way to go.
I'm running the Scorpion end-can and couldn't be more pleased. My DL650 sounds like a motorcycle now, instead of a sewing machine. Both the Scorpion and the Staintune end-cans are very neighborhood friendly.

Cheers!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Reverendbiker said:
Me too. I mean, me six.

The desire for louder pipes is for sophomoric posers, not real riders.

"Look at me, I'm loud and I'm cool! Look at me, I'm loud and I'm cool. Just look at me!"

- Tom

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
TomX said:
Reverendbiker said:
Me too. I mean, me six.

The desire for louder pipes is for sophomoric posers, not real riders.

"Look at me, I'm loud and I'm cool! Look at me, I'm loud and I'm cool. Just look at me!"

- Tom
You really should think about what you just said........cause I am no poser! :evil: Really not cool to pass that kind of judgement on fellow riders.
I am a real rider........are you? I take great offense to people bashing someone's choice for "upgrading" their exhausts. Most Harley and cruiser systems, ARE NOT EXHAUSTS!!!! They are straight pipes most the time, and the others have next to no baffles. I don't like really loud cruiser exhausts either....but the cans that we are buying AREN'T LOUD! However.....they do actually emit a tone, noise, harmonics, power pulses etc...unlike the stock systems. Most moto engines sound fine stock, except for most twin engines. They usually have a weak farty sound that ruins what a great exhaust can offer. NOBODY has complained about my exhausts, as far as I know. Matter of fact....I have had nothing but positive
feedback so far.

I want to know who the "experts" are that claim that no scientific evidence, proves that louder exhausts are safer. I have seen first hand what happens to guys with whisper quiet exhausts...they get run off the road. I think that too many people are traumatized by the sound of loud Harleys and supersports. I haven't heard too many people complain about the sound of a Ducati, Aprilia, TL1000R, SuperHawk, RC51...etc! That is the sound that I have, and MANY others that have purchased new exhausts. You drop weight, looks better, and sounds better in MOST cases.

I agree that SHMOO didn't use the best choice of words in this statment.

I don't care about pissing off the neighbors with the loud sound. They are A-holes anyways. I'm also a proponent of "if you hear me coming, you won't make a stupid move to run me off the road in your car"...
But....that is how he feels, and maybe he has had some bad experiences in his riding adventures. And....maybe his neighbors are Aholes! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Its a hopeless argument, but I'm with the guys in favor of moderation.

Searching for the loudest exhaust available is a great way to alienate a lot of people, riders and non-riders alike. We, Riders, have enough negative press, we don't need to go out and encourage it.

If you're worried about announcing yourself to the "other guy" on the road then the Stebel air horn makes sense. I'd be willing to bet its more effective than loud pipes. The benefit is that its fully obnoxious when needed, not all the time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow- you are all getting a bit riled up here.

I think I will just continue to ride as if I am invisible. An outward statement of my presence (loud pipes) is not something if feel is worth the negative attention it brings. I simply wince every time a Harley twin (hey that rhymes with Harlequin) tootles by with loud pipes oblivious to the ill will they are generating. Loud pipes piss people off and as far as people “noticing” bikes with them- why would one place themselves in a position where loud pipes are their saving grace anyway?

·
Registered
646 Posts
LucasD said:
Reverendbiker said:
I'll be the fourth. I don't want to be told I cannot take my motorcycle
somewhere simply because someone else came through before me
with straight pipes on their bike and pissed off the entire community.

When I have my windows and doors closed and my neighbor rides
by on his Harley with straight pipes, crap in my house actually rattles.
That's not cool, that's not "being safe", that's just damn annoying.

Make your bike sound nice, make it rumble a bit, but please don't
make it loud enough to piss off everyone around you.
Add me to this opinion :!: I think if you refer back to a poll of the ages of Enthusiasts that post here, you will find that there are a small percentage - "Veterans" - here who have had their fill of noise, the larger percentage - "Newer, Younger" - are looking to make a statement (with louder exhaust). Being part of the first group is not a bad thing! The color of our hair is a "Medal" we proudly wear for having made it as far as we have!! In making it to this point in life we have seen and heard a lot more changes in our motorcycling world than the younger fellas can imagine. Just consider the old saying, "Older and Wiser", and consider that some where down the road the noise you like to hear may come back to haunt you!

Respectfully,
Willie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Leo Vince SBK ... perhaps too loud

I've got a K6 DL1000 and could not wait to get my new SBK cans for the thing (I only had my bike for two weeks!). Once they were on, I left the baffles in and liked the sound. Blappy but gets low toned at speeds. Then I removed the baffles. WOW! :shock: Really loud for me. I plugged the baffles back in after a few days. An' now, the stock pipes are back on. I think I'm finding out three things:

1. A DL1000 is plenty throaty with the stock exhaust.
2. After market pipes mask the gear whine of the motor which I love.
3. I'm getting old. :wink:

Yes, the stock cans look so so compared to the looks of the after market stuff - but I'm willing to accept that for some peace an' quiet.

:p

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
I will be 35 in November, so I don't consider myself "young"! I realize that there are a "large" number of older Strom riders... and I think it is great! :wink: I however, am not trying to make any statements, impress anyone, or having a mid life crisis. I like hearing exhaust's..... whether it be going to a Nascar race, tractor pull, NHRA, owning a muscle car or a motorcycle. And yes.....I believe louder is safer on the road. I can STILL easily hear the whine of my engine, and any other noises that are around me. The sweet exhaust note of my bike, just adds to the character of an already unique machine. Ya'll with these loud obnoxious horns.....do you blow them when you are coming up on traffic, and when you are passing someone? If so...I would hate to be around when I drive my car near near any of you. Wanna talk about inducing some road rage!!!! :lol:

I will ALWAYS ride as if I am invisible, heck I drive as if I am invisible.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not going to take sides in this debate. However, I figure some Suzuki engineer was paid a lot of Yen to design a muffler that works. Maybe it's because I'm 'almost old' (60 next month!) or just frugal (cheap?), but I can't justify shelling out big bucks to try to make my bike sound like a croth-rocket. I guess it's up to the individual.

Now I'm going for a nap in my Lazyboy - and don't you young-uns be wakin' me up. :lol:

Al

1 - 20 of 53 Posts