StromTrooper banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
until someone bans bikes because your harley — or V-strom — is obnoxious
I saw a story about that happening already in (I think) Germany. Some scenic routes were being declared off-limits to motorcycles on all but one weekend a month, 'to give residents a break from the noise'. Interestingly, the ban applies to all bikes, regardless of the amount of noise they put out. Apparently, an even an electric motorcycle is too loud for some people. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, but this makes me think the ban is more about motorcycles than noise. The noise is just a handy excuse.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I saw a story about that happening already in (I think) Germany. Some scenic routes were being declared off-limits to motorcycles on all but one weekend a month, 'to give residents a break from the noise'. Interestingly, the ban applies to all bikes, regardless of the amount of noise they put out. Apparently, an even an electric motorcycle is too loud for some people. I'm not a fan of loud pipes, but this makes me think the ban is more about motorcycles than noise. The noise is just a handy excuse.

No they banned all bikes because they could;d not afford the manpower to keep testing bikes to find the loud ones.

They ban them every second weekend to give the locals respite

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What a heated topic this is.

Im a good neighbor up until the point of changing my life for another’s feelings. Yeah the wide open exhaust can grate on your nerves but what right do we have to tell other people how to live?

I hear you but if/when it happens the backwoods will see that change last.

Well it kinda is. God bless America.

I heard Europe then bla bla bla😜
Seriously though we Americans can enjoy our freedom while we can.

Again, I’m concerned with FREE America, not california or new york (not capitalized on purpose.
And they say Americans aren't self-centred!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Why can't we all just get along. And whatever happened to common courtesy and civility?

Oh! I believe I know....It changed to "Screw you Jack, I'm alright". Sad :cry:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am one of those enjoy hearing the bike kinda guys. Same with my cars. Sound is one of the pleasures of a happy engine and it is feedback to the rider as well. And in my case, the bike lost 9 pounds. That’s is very significant. And there can be a performance gain as well. In traffic or dense areas I tend to intentionally short shift to keep the revs and sound levels down. At the point super low sound levels or Electric Motos are mandated I will hang up my helmet.

to the OP, Delkevic makes very reasonably priced systems for the DL. Their sound levels are posted for each different muffler. Warning: some are quite loud.
Ah the sound of a good motor. I love it too. Especially real early in the morning when I'm sitting on the pouch watching the sun come up and sipping on a coffee quietly enjoying the morning and a coal rollin' bro-dozer with 10" stacks or the turbo tuner car with running 1000bs of boost (99.999375% of it going out the waste gate) use the traffic light behind my house like the Christmas tree at the drag strip. The shrill noise of the turbo spooling up to 1 million RPM's and the waste gate popping like a AK-47 is just therapeutic. Another good one is the 18 wheelers that love the sound of their jake brakes.

I also love the weight savings of a loud muffler offers. Especially on a 500+ bike with 60lbs of panniers and brackets having off of it and a 30lb tool roll the 9lbs loss makes all the difference.

·
Registered
2013 650
117 Posts
Ah the sound of a good motor. I love it too. Especially real early in the morning when I'm sitting on the pouch watching the sun come up and sipping on a coffee quietly enjoying the morning and a coal rollin' bro-dozer with 10" stacks or the turbo tuner car with running 1000bs of boost (99.999375% of it going out the waste gate) use the traffic light behind my house like the Christmas tree at the drag strip. The shrill noise of the turbo spooling up to 1 million RPM's and the waste gate popping like a AK-47 is just therapeutic. Another good one is the 18 wheelers that love the sound of their jake brakes.
HELL YEAH BROTHER!!! BRAAPPPPPPPP GLUG GLUG RRRRRRRGHAHHHHH!!
Sounds like we should swap houses, I can hear bees fart three miles away it’s so quiet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I also love the weight savings of a loud muffler offers. Especially on a 500+ bike with 60lbs of panniers and brackets having off of it and a 30lb tool roll the 9lbs loss makes all the difference.
Back in my mountain biking days, when asked why I didn't pony up for the lightest components my answer was always that if I needed a lighter bike, the best place to start shaving weight was the riders waistline. I'm pretty sure I could still trim about 20lbs from my VStrom that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are some very outspoken and, IMHO, somewhat judgmental & rude responses in this post. I happen to enjoy the sound of a happy internal combustion engine. Quite frankly every true motorhead that I am aware of enjoys the amazing sound of a race engine tuned to within an inch of its life. I like sound and It brings emotional joy to riding for me. And is feedback. I can hear engine load and any potential rear wheel slip. May be foreign to you, but it is feedback to me. While in dense areas, I respectfully keep it down. And yes, reducing my overweight Moto is important to dynamic performance and helps me enjoy the ride and also increases safety. I also took my passenger pegs off about another 10 pounds gone. Maybe you have a judgmental comment about that as well? You may have heard of a little car company known for its Engineering excellence called Lotus. Colin Chapman (of Lotus) famous engineering philosophy, "Simplify, then add lightness.' This is actually the fundamental key to improving all dynamic performance including fuel economy and safety. And, you bet luggage and rider are part of that equation. I also plan to cut a hole in the top of my air box. That will add some sound, especially when deep in the throttle. I expect you find that offensive to you as well. I think you all need something to do other than tell me and the OP how I should tune and ride my motorcycle.

The OP asked about exhaust options and you all jump on him (and me) because he would like to hear his motorcycle. That is sad. But, limiting one rights is the nature of our society these days, so it is en vougue. If you don't have helpful, nonjudgmental words to offer.....

Getting back to the subject at hand for the OP, there are multiple companies that make exhaust components for the Vstrom. Making the OE can louder is possible but difficult. And you largely miss the weight and performance benefits offered by an aftermarket system. As mentioned, Delkevic is one that happens to be relatively inexpensive and they post dyno runs and sound levels so you can choose what suits your needs. I spoke to Dale Walker the other day of Holeshot performance. Between exhaust, intake and electronic tuning, there is significant performance to be had from the humble Wee.

This post seems to have lost its purpose of assisting one another. And has become about judgement. Next! I am gonna go ride. And enjoy the wonderful sound of a happy engine.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts