StromTrooper banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Perhaps the loud pipe people could have the sound piped into their helmets. Similar to the way intake sound is piped into the cabin of some performance cars. Then you could enjoy the sound of load exhaust without disturbing others.
I know it would never happen. Just being somewhat sarcastic.
I have two ideas on noise mitigation:
1) I am somewhat naive on the technology, but would large area noise cancellation be feasible or possible? Some communities have city-wide wifi; with a subscription, you are connected anywhere you are in the covered area. Many new vehicles have microphones in the cabin which pick up undesired frequencies and play play them back out of phase thru a dedicated speaker(s) for noise cancellation.
My thinking is could a mic array be set up along a noisy roadway to pick up the undesirable traffic noise all types, including Richter scale subwoofers and fairing-mounted speakers (with all of the volume and none of the fidelity), rebroadcast it out of phase through a loudspeaker system for a vault-quiet couple of blocks?
2) How about dB meters set up and linked to license plate cameras like on a toll road? You just drive by the meter with any vehicle, the dB meter reads your level. If over a certain threshold, you get a ticket in the mail. After X number of violations, a bench warrant is issued.
But wait! Special Bonus Idea 3!
Re: the too quiet electric cars that vision impaired folks may have trouble detecting.
Put a SMS-type text vibration notification device on the vehicle, and on VI impaired persons' white canes. As the vehicle approaches, the cane would vibrate like a message notification, alerting the person that a vehicle is near. There could be different vibe patterns fo different proximities- vehicle to the right, left, ahead, behind, approaching fast, etc.
With two-way transmission, the cane could also alert the vehicle of a pedestrian who may cross its path inadvertently.

Reactions: Gert and NVDucati

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have two ideas on noise mitigation:
1) I am somewhat naive on the technology, but would large area noise cancellation be feasible or possible? Some communities have city-wide wifi; with a subscription, you are connected anywhere you are in the covered area. Many new vehicles have microphones in the cabin which pick up undesired frequencies and play play them back out of phase thru a dedicated speaker(s) for noise cancellation.
My thinking is could a mic array be set up along a noisy roadway to pick up the undesirable traffic noise all types, including Richter scale subwoofers and fairing-mounted speakers (with all of the volume and none of the fidelity), rebroadcast it out of phase through a loudspeaker system for a vault-quiet couple of blocks?
2) How about dB meters set up and linked to license plate cameras like on a toll road? You just drive by the meter with any vehicle, the dB meter reads your level. If over a certain threshold, you get a ticket in the mail. After X number of violations, a bench warrant is issued.
Very interesting. Very creative.
  • Your Wide Area Cancellation (WAC) would have a few things to workout like blowing your horn, fire truck sirens and those beeper devices at crosswalks. But a WAC system for your house is actually quite feasible. It could be routed through your smoke alarms or security system as a battery alert. A whole-house WAC would be commercially successful particularly for housing along freeways and apartments. It could make librarian's jobs easier and ease office workplace stress.
  • Your vehicle DB meters could be treated much like court mandated breathalyzers for drunk drivers. It would put your ride into scooter mode so that the violator could roar along at 15mph.;)

Reactions: Motorpsychology

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's all subjective, different ears hear different sounds.

I find loud Harleys extremely annoying, but a Ducati banging through the gears gives me chills and was one of the reasons I bought one. My v-strom has a debaffled Yoshi and I'd say it's not too loud, maybe the perfect balance, my neighbors may hate it who knows.

The two worst sounds on public roads are four cylinder rice burners and the diesel pickups straining covered in black smoke. But, that's just my opinion and I hear they are like arseholes...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Very interesting. Very creative.
  • Your Wide Area Cancellation (WAC) would have a few things to workout like blowing your horn, fire truck sirens and those beeper devices at crosswalks. But a WAC system for your house is actually quite feasible. It could be routed through your smoke alarms or security system as a battery alert. A whole-house WAC would be commercially successful particularly for housing along freeways and apartments. It could make librarian's jobs easier and ease office workplace stress.
  • Your vehicle DB meters could be treated much like court mandated breathalyzers for drunk drivers. It would put your ride into scooter mode so that the violator could roar along at 15mph.;)
It would involve "chopping" of certain frequencies and letting narrow bands through- sirens, horns or the crosswalk beepers. Without examining the sounds, The timbre of a Suzuki R1 at 10,000 rpm in a first gear wheelie may have some of the tonal frequencies of a crosswalk beeper, but not all, and not occurring at the same point in the wave form. This is how we can recognize a trumpet from an alto saxophone from a flute playing the same note in the same octave.
But any electronic or software system created by humans can be defeated by humans. You could design a phase shifting device of your own which would put the dulcet sound of your open pipe FXYZABC 90º out of phase again so everyone can hear you once more.
Or hack into the public noise cancelling system and broadcast an endless Cowsills loop!

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #106

I find loud Harleys extremely annoying, but a Ducati banging through the gears gives me chills and was one of the reasons I bought one. My v-strom has a debaffled Yoshi and I'd say it's not too loud, maybe the perfect balance, my neighbors may hate it who knows.

The two worst sounds on public roads are four cylinder rice burners and the diesel pickups straining covered in black smoke. But, that's just my opinion and I hear they are like arseholes...
You don't get to say I like my noise, it's other people's noise that is bad.

Not the way it works.

·
Administrator
17,091 Posts
All the air conditioners I hear outside while out on my patio is driving me nuts and disturbs my tranquility, I want them all to be banned.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Not the way it works.
I think it is subjective. Children in early stage music lessons, especially the violin. Other couples arguing. Other couples making love. And yes, intolerably loud pipes.
Thus / ergo, it is subjective. Earlier both you and I mentioned technology, albeit far fetched. Perhaps there is a existing technology that will remove subjectivity and isolate the perpetrator. Many cities already have it. Gunshot locators.
In my opinion, by the time an exhaust system rises to the level of a gunshot ... case closed.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Not the way it works.
Exactly.
That's why I used words like subjective and opinion as in the end that's what it is. I won't be chasing my neighbors lawn mower around with a decibel meter or calling the cops if they're having a good time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Exactly.
That's why I used words like subjective and opinion as in the end that's what it is. I won't be chasing my neighbors lawn mower around with a decibel meter or calling the cops if they're having a good time.
It doesn't;'t matter what you would do. it matters what John Q Public would do. And if enough of them get together and say "well we can't seem to stop individual motorcyclists from making noise, so let's ban all motorcycles," then you my friend can't ride your motorcycle. So please feel free to make as much noise as you like, but know that, if you do, you drag the rest of us down with you.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
What’s interesting is my zero turn mower with it stock 3” long muffler is probably 3x more loud than any of my motorcycles. Wonder why that’s not an issue??

I think we need the decibel deputies to get to the bottom of this.

·
Administrator
5,716 Posts
It comes down to productive noise, and unnecessary noise.
My neighbours can mow their lawns, built a shed, fix their roof, and I am not concerned - but one neighbour frequently regales the neighbourhood with his patio domiciled stereo, and that I resent.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts