StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with an alternative to the stock horn? These stock motorcycle horns are downright dangerous. Installation location?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm looking at mounting dual Freeway Blasters (Hi & Lo) in the stock underbeak location. Looks like there's room enough. Just a question of bracketry. I haven't yet seen a good mounting location for a Stebel Nautilus.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm looking at mounting dual Freeway Blasters (Hi & Lo) in the stock underbeak location. Looks like there's room enough. Just a question of bracketry. I haven't yet seen a good mounting location for a Stebel Nautilus.

Just installed the stebel nautilus on my 12' 1k. Sounds great, and the kit mentioned above works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Just installed the stebel nautilus on my 12' 1k. Sounds great, and the kit mentioned above works perfectly.
Thanks. I too have installed a Stebel Nautilus on my prior-year V-Strom and there doesn't seem to be as much space in the new cowling design to accommodate the same mounting options. Specifically within the cowl area, it's a lot tighter. So on the Vee2, and underbeak mounting option makes the most sense to me - it's where the stock puny horn is, it will be more audible there, with the downside that it will be more exposed to elements, which the Stebel and Wolo air horn designs don't deal with very well. So mounting two FIAMM or PIAA Hi/Lo horns there, with a relay of course, should work well if I can fashioned a suitable bracket to tuck them in sufficiently.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a Stebel on my current bike and it is way loud and was pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use a Stebel horn and I like it, nice and loud.

But I just had a problem with it that I did not expect. This was all my fault but it caused the horn to fail to work when I needed it and this is something any high current horn setup could have.

When riding to work last week I hit the horn and nothing happened. When I got to work I checked out the fuse and connections and everything looked fine. Once I got home I got the volt meter out and started checking everything out. I found that the relay had failed after only a year, replacing it fixed the problem.

I thought this was odd, I have two other bikes with the same setup and they have worked for years without a problem. Investigating the relay I found that relay had corroded inside. The problem was the relay was not sealed and I had installed it upside down (with the pins up) allowing a way for water to seep into the relay from the bottom. The other bikes had the relay upright and that would allow any water to drain out.

The lesson is when installing electrical make parts sure they are not installed in a way that allows water can sit, it will eventually make its way into places it should not be.

·
Ex- moderator
1,131 Posts
Fiamm freeway blasters with the Eastern Beaver relay kit have been faultless and LOUD for almost 3 years...highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I too have installed a Stebel Nautilus on my prior-year V-Strom and there doesn't seem to be as much space in the new cowling design to accommodate the same mounting options. Specifically within the cowl area, it's a lot tighter. So on the Vee2, and underbeak mounting option makes the most sense to me - it's where the stock puny horn is, it will be more audible there, with the downside that it will be more exposed to elements, which the Stebel and Wolo air horn designs don't deal with very well. So mounting two FIAMM or PIAA Hi/Lo horns there, with a relay of course, should work well if I can fashioned a suitable bracket to tuck them in sufficiently.
Stoopy,
Specifically in regards to the Vee2, I agree with your assessment. Unless an aftermarket horn is offered, I will do as you suggested.i cannot believe a louder horn is that much more expensive that Suzuki cannot install a reasonably loud one in new cycles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Does anybody know if the Goldwing horns would work on the Glee? I know those will get your attention.:confused:

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
I put a PWD Stebel horn on my Wee last summer and, while it certainly is louder than the feeble stock squeaker, I wasn't all that impressed with its volume. I guess I was expecting something like the Highway Blasters mentioned upthread. Nevertheless, I have noticed that the Stebel does get the attention of cagers and other bikers so I guess it's effective.

Just last week when I took my bike in for its annual state inspection, I forgot to tell the inspector dude about the non-stock horn and when he honked it to test it, he not only startled himself but the other mechanics in the neighboring bays who started yelling and giving him dirty looks. I was amused. :green_lol:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Freeway Blasters may be more reliable than the Stebel. I like having one on each side for better sound dispersion. They're also sold under the NAPA label.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone replaced the Vee2's weak horn yet?
Specifically, location, brackets and what model?
I promised myself I would replace the stock horn as soon as I purchased my Vee2, but having too much time riding!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Has anyone replaced the Vee2's weak horn yet?
Specifically, location, brackets and what model?
I promised myself I would replace the stock horn as soon as I purchased my Vee2, but having too much time riding!
I am in the process of mocking up a bracket to mount the two Fiamm Freeway Blasters (Hi Note & Low Note) that I purchased, under the beak. They will juuuuuusssst fit on the sides of the beak toward the rear if mounted vertically, threaded stubs and contact points facing inward with the horn 'flute' ends pointing down and perfectly flush with the bottom edge of the beak, but it's very tight. I might just forego that idea and mount them more toward the center closer together, although the flutes will extend a little below the beak line. The aesthetics may not be worth the more cumbersome bracketry involved.

The good news is: No interference with forks, they just clear, and there is a 10mm bolt perfectly in the center of the subframe holding on the existing puny horn and bracket, so it's easy to get at. Other than that it's a matter of wiring in a relay off the stock horn circuit and we should be good.

I may not get around to completing this until next weekend but will post details of what I did and basic bracket dimensions. Johhny Bravo, I appreciate what you did witht he Lowe's clamps, looks nice and I might play round with a variation on that before this is over...thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I have come to the conclusion, no matter how good a horn I get, on a motorcycle they don't have the protection from the elements that they get in a car's engine compartment behind the grille

about a year ago, I installed a used Hella taken from a BMW 535, now it barely works

currently I am considering a canned air horn that people use on boats, probably something refillable like this

Air Horns, Air Horn, Air Horn in a Can, Industrial Air Horn, Canned Air Horn, Air Horn Safety, Boat Air Horn, Personal Air Horn, Portable Air Horn, Marine Air Horn, Air Horn Hand Held, Signal Air Horn, Loud Air Horn, Boaters Air Horn, Air Horn Canist

just have to figure out the mounting

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I find it pretty humerous that not one person has actually answered the OP's?this is NOT the Glee forum or the pre14 Vee forum. This is for the V2, we all know what worked on the old 1000 but the V2 doesn't have the same aces to mount a "real" horn.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I find it pretty humerous that not one person has actually answered the OP's?this is NOT the Glee forum or the pre14 Vee forum. This is for the V2, we all know what worked on the old 1000 but the V2 doesn't have the same aces to mount a "real" horn.
Two posts up....tries to answer OP's question. Fiamm Freeway Blasters under the beak using 10mm bolt mounting location for existing puny horn. Bracket modification, extension or replacement will be necessary. Example installation pending.

As to comparisons and advice relating from other types & years of Stroms, I think we're always gonna get that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I just replace the existing horn with a single Stebel Magnum or FIAMM Freeway Blaster, do I still need to install it via a relay or is that only necessary if I install a dual setup?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I installed a Stebel Nautilus and just hung it off the engine bar........function over form. You would probably get away with no relay due to the relatively short burst you give a horn, but I put one in just to be on the safe side

1 - 20 of 23 Posts