StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, from the topic posts, looks like a lot of crashes lately! I wish it were not so... Gues spring is getting everyone out and cars are just not paying attention. Unfortunately some bikers are not either...

Saw a near wreck Sunday and a wreck. Both on US 74 in the curves at Hickory Nut Gap. My youngest son who wants a bike so bad he can not stand it, was riding with me in my mustang to see a friend in gerton nc.

Hickory Nut Gap gets a good deal of sport bikes because of the curves. We were talking about riding when a squid on a sport bike passes us...on the back tire trying to pass us and one more car in less than 100 feet. He could not pull of the pass and set the bike down HARD still in the oncoming lane. Bike goes into into viloent tank slapping mode and kid luckily got stopped....still setting in oncoming traffic. He was wearing tshirt and, you guessed it...shorts.

My son's eyes got huge! He was amazed at how violent the tank slapping was.

Later that evening on the way back, we get meet several more sportbikes on the yellow line and their bikes in my lane, and he was still in unbelief about how the people were riding.

2 more curves and there sets a car...and a bike. Rider is up so I believe he was ok. Then we passed the rescue vehicles on their way!

I hate to see anyone hurt, but that one day left more of an impression on my 16 year old than my whole ranting and ravings about him riding safely...

:yesnod:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Humans aren't very good at learning from other peoples' mistakes, but I hope your son did learn a good lesson there. Use your head when you ride, and wear you gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As hot as it is, I wear the gear. Thinking about buying MX boots for better shin protection. On my knockdown, the boots I was wearing did not offer much and that's where I got hurt (from scraping the foot peg on the way off).
I've noticed too many folks on shiny new scooters wearing flip flops, sandals, shorts, etc. They will be comfortable till the crash!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was going to say something but you beat me to it... It seems to be an epidemic lately :confused:... Looks like I sold my Wee at the right tme... Maybe there's a built in self destruct on V-stroms... Suzuki's way of getting you to buy a new one?...

Ride safe everyone

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Later that evening on the way back, we get meet several more sportbikes on the yellow line and their bikes in my lane,
I really don't care what Darwin candidates do to themselves, but when I'm the guy in the oncoming lane on my bike when they run wide, they make it my problem. Reckless idiots. Doesn't anyone tell these testosterone-fueled clowns about track days??

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It has been odd

In the car they have tried to kill me a few times this week

One spun a "Uee" within a block in front on a highway

One guy was backing up at like 30 toward me on a highway

Truck just moved into my lane like i wasn't there

No contact but weird

Its Bin Ladens ghost now free to roam the earth, thanks Barack

·
Registered
67 Posts
Humans aren't very good at learning from other peoples' mistakes, but I hope your son did learn a good lesson there. Use your head when you ride, and wear you gear.
No we're not, we're very suborn creatures that don't like to think anything can happen to us because "were different".

Hopefully your son isn't scared of bikes and still wants to ride, hopefully just a little more cautiously.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Not only the Wee/Vee's going down here.

One or two riders per day hit the deck in Sydney traffic, most are "assisted" in planting it on the tar by a tin top- but not all.

Weekends here there are two roads I usually won't ride, top bike roads but too many suicidal sports bikes doing speed limit X3.

Three bikes taken out about two weeks ago on one of those roads by a woman in a ute overtaking on double lines around a blind bend at high speed cleaned them up- father and son killed on one bike, other riders injured, she walked away from it without a scratch :furious: idiot bitch!

Sadly, life has risks- we still have to try and do the things we enjoy.

Ride Safe.

And see my new motto about motorcycle safety. :fineprint:

·
Registered
224 Posts
As hot as it is, I wear the gear. Thinking about buying MX boots for better shin protection. On my knockdown, the boots I was wearing did not offer much and that's where I got hurt (from scraping the foot peg on the way off).
I've noticed too many folks on shiny new scooters wearing flip flops, sandals, shorts, etc. They will be comfortable till the crash!
Not to change the thread, but try the Sidi Discovery boots. Great all around protection. I have had mine for 2 years and they still look pretty new concidering they have around 8000 miles.

Back to topic. I past a bike/car wreck a couple weeks ago. Rider was on a GSXR1000 going well over 100MPH (officer I talked to said the guestamated his speed at 120+) in a fairly congested well used 4 lane with center a turn lane. A lady was turning left across his lane and never saw him. He hit the car in the center of the grill and flew 440'. Knocked off his Aplinestar boots. Broke the bike in half and killed him instantly. When I passed it I noticed the guy laying in the road and figured that a drunk walked out in traffic as there was a bar where he came to rest. I then pasted the car. The front tire, forks and bars were now part of the car. The engine, subframe and rear tire was 200' off the road in an empty parking lot. The lady in the car survived with only minor injuries. The rider was wearing full gear, just being stupid and ended his life after what I am sure was a short 24 years.

Hope your son learned something from what you witnessed. My son (17) was with me and I think he learned a few lessons from the sight.

All be safe and ride smart.

·
Registered
392 Posts
speed

This is why I cringe on this forum when someone talks about problems with the bike going well over 100 mph. Death apparently isn't a problem worth mentioning?

Ride dumb and you'll get your reward, likely sooner rather than later.

Much like the old pilot saying "there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots".

Bill H.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Uk had more than it's fair share of silly riders in years gone past. The roads were a killing field for motorcyclists. The bike accident rate was so bad that all insurance company's accept one withdrew from the insurance market for bikes...that's how serious it was. It wasn't until compulsory training for bikers was brought in, along with compulsory helmets etc that biking became very safe over here. Accident rate dropped hugely and now there are massive numbers of insurers to choose from.

We still get dumb clowns from time to time being extra stupid...just like anywhere...but we can all bike much safer now and the death rate dropped massively but bike sales went up overall at the time this was all done.

I don't know if you have compulsory bike training in all states over there...but lobby to get it if you can. It works and makes everyone safer. It's proven! Here in the UK at the time, the biking organisations were resistant to anything being compulsory and wanted to excercise there 'right' to take the risk of killing themselves without interference and all that crap. They didn't win because often when someone killed themselves they take out someone else too! And it costs everyone when someone dies. Sorry to sound a bit heavy!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
training provides the skills necessary to ride the bike properly. Perception to danger and control needed to ride within one's capability and traffic conditions cant be taught, unfortunately. And always there is a very minute chance of luck.

It's always better to get to the destination slower than not getting there at all.

·
Registered
360 Posts
training provides the skills necessary to ride the bike properly. Perception to danger and control needed to ride within one's capability and traffic conditions cant be taught, unfortunately. And always there is a very minute chance of luck.

It's always better to get to the destination slower than not getting there at all.
As an ex-bike instructor I wouldn't quite agree with some of what you have said but I understand where you are coming from. It is experience you cannot teach...pretty much everything else you can, including how people detect and perceive danger. That's what training is all about and what makes the difference. Without these basic skills some people never get to be experienced because they have an accident, get put off bikes and don't ride again or they simply die. Nobody wants that!

Regarding exploring on your own lahakjutt...that's great fun. And I understand where this comes from...we all like an adventure. But it can be a really risky way of learning how to pilot and use a potentially lethal piece of machinery and is largely what drove our very high biker death rate not too long ago in my country. Everyone has differing ability when they first start but everyone thinks they are doing ok when the reality is often quite different. I saw this everday when I instructed on bikes, the timid, the sensible, the over confident, and the just plain bad attitude and rudeness towards safety and other road users exhibited by some. Takes all sorts I guess.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
In much of the midwest, it's been raining pretty much. Every. Damn. Day. :furious: :headbang:

The few of us who ride daily are getting very, very good in the wet. :thumbup: Also, regular rain helps wash off any accumulated bugs. My V-Strom is cleaner than it ever has been before. (Hey, you gotta look on the bright side.)

But I shudder to think of what's going to happen when all those rusty fair-weather-only riders finally emerge. :yikes:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
There are some situations that you can not survive regardless of skill and training but....

Every year

Practice leaning, get used to being laid over. If when you are hot in a turn lean lean some more then lean more. You probably will actually make the turn but if not you will low side and the bike will hit first

Panic stop practice both brakes reared back to a maximum. Learn proper and sensitive rear brake control to avoid a high side.

Practice panic stop plus avoidance which is to panic stop down to 10 or 15 MPH then use this low speed to try to turn into an escape route

Last practice escape route fixation find the space behind the vehicle, the hole in the fence or wall.

Never give up. ride it, control it, until impact

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
There are some situations that you can not survive regardless of skill and training but....

Every year

Practice leaning, get used to being laid over. If when you are hot in a turn lean lean some more then lean more. You probably will actually make the turn but if not you will low side and the bike will hit first

Panic stop practice both brakes reared back to a maximum. Learn proper and sensitive rear brake control to avoid a high side.

Practice panic stop plus avoidance which is to panic stop down to 10 or 15 MPH then use this low speed to try to turn into an escape route

Last practice escape route fixation find the space behind the vehicle, the hole in the fence or wall.

Never give up. ride it, control it, until impact
RichW, what great advice & worth repeating. I remember the training about utilizing both brakes while actually humming to yourself. This worked while traveling at 60MPH & a deer leaped into my lane from a corn field. Both brakes smoothly & slowly, while humming, it works because the methodical hum keeps you from over grabbing your brakes. I actually try to practice this once a week as I should do with your pertinent guidelines.

I did have to pull over to regain my composure as my heart felt as if it might leap from my chest.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
There is an attitudinal issue that I suspect I see a lot on motorcycle fora and on the road. It reminds me of the contrast between what a good (Korean) friend casually said to me: "When I started to learn to drive I was not very good and had a lot of wrecks." compared to what my dad told me when I was learning, "If you EVER put a scratch on this car, it will be a long g-d time before you ever drive another!" :jawdrop:

·
Registered
224 Posts
This is why I cringe on this forum when someone talks about problems with the bike going well over 100 mph. Death apparently isn't a problem worth mentioning?

Ride dumb and you'll get your reward, likely sooner rather than later.

Much like the old pilot saying "there are old pilots and bold pilots but no old bold pilots".

Bill H.
Yep, when I noticed that it was a rider I got a little queezy feeling. I didnt know him from Adam, But it was a rider, just not a smart one.

I agree heavely with the practise. My wife and I go to parking lots once a month and both practise. I was able to not hit the rear of a car on Hwy 2 (locally known as death Hwy). I came around a blind corner, 1 car stopped, the next 2 inline heading to the right towards the ditch. My rear locked up on the wet pavement. I dropped 2 gears and hit the gas and ran the double yellows past them all. I guess I did something right cus the state trooper gave me a thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts