StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was trying to install some knuckle guards today and when I went to place the long screw into the handlebar weight and spacer I apparently pushed the nut all the way to where the handlebar starts to bend downward. I tried the old clothes hanger and I also went and bought a magnet on a stick. Neither or which worked. I can see it with a flash light and maybe I need to get a stronger magnet. Anyone have any insight on how to get this thing out. Maybe I just need to replace the nut??? TIA.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Next time, don't loosen the screw more than 1/2". The entire assembly will wiggle out. You can take off the other side and run compressed air or a flexible shaft through the bar.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Three possible options:
- Remove handlebars and shake them (or tilt the bike).
- Blow it out with compressed air from the other side.
- Push it out from the other side using a snake-like tool.

In the future, if you are not sure of how something works, research it before taking it apart. This site is full of people who had the same thing happen to them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im an idiot

Yeah well the title probably says it all. I was trying to do it before work for a ride tomorrow. I was even watching a video on youtube where two guys did the exact same thing I did. Thanks for the advice. I'll try and blow it out tomorrow. Grey Wolf as always much appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
guards

a fella could monkey around for a while, but if you have the crash bars, throw down a blanket and lay the bike down. it's not like a strom hasn't kissed every kind of surface anyway, it will likely survive just fine

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not sure what you used for a felx tool, but I would recommend a length of clear pvc hose from Lowes, costs pennies a foot, and comes in a staggering array of dimensions. Find a small magnet at say the pickbins there in Lowes or at a True Value, one that fits into or can be attached to the hose.

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
I'm not sure that the nut inside the handlebar is attracted to magnets...
Even if it were, wouldn't the fact that the magnet is attracted to the bars interfere with the whole retrieval operation? (I'm assuming the bars are steel).

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago. I took a telescoping magnet, extended it fully and smashed it flat at each extension point. It flexed enough to get to the nut. I tried it without smashing the telescoping portion and it just closed at the bend. Live and learn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I used my compressor to push the nut out and I thought I was in business. I wasn't...... So it appears that I have stripped out each nut. When I go to install the new bolt with the spacer and weight attached it spins and feels as though it is getting tighter. Then right as I go to tork it down it just keeps spinning. I tried just threading a bolt into it by itself and it threads but with little pressure it pulls right back out and the nut stays in place. So I threw a couple of bolts I had laying around into the original set up without the hand guards on. These are stainless and would still probably pull out but I think they'll hold for the time being.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
A fourth option to remove the nut:
I thoroughly embarrassed myself and asked my neighbours for their help to lift up my bike, tip it nearly upside down and shake out the lost nut.
Quick, simple and easy if you embarrass yourself to enough people.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I've bested that. I've got it jammed in there. I can't get it out at all. I can reach it with a hanger from the opposite side, strong magnets. In fact, I now have some good magnets stuck down in the bars. I'm just screwed (nutted) :headbang: So, can I get a replacement nut at the hardware store or do I need to go to the bike shop?

Bike is totally out of commission at this point.

NUTS!!! :headbang:

·
38,049 Posts
A plumber's snake from the other side or compressed air works. The nut is special, not a hardware store item.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, Grey Wolf. I hate to leave anything hanging out in there anyhow. But it really is JAMMED in there.

I have a compressor. But if the nut has a hole in it, how do I compress it out of there? I guess I'll have to get creative.

·
38,049 Posts
The hole isn't a problem but being jammed might. The plumber's snake can apply more pressure. Enter from the opposite end. Hopefully you've learned by now the screw should only be loosened no more than 1/2 inch and the assembly be removed as a unit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hopefully it can be unjammed. If not, then I guess I'm not hurting too much by leaving it in there. Maybe riding around will knock it loose at some point and I can blow it out of there later. Hopefully a dealer has one in stock...

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is the nut the only thing stuck in the bar? In any case, I would try the previous suggestion of tubing from the home improvement store. The high pressure (like 130 lb) semi-rigid air/ water hose is flexible but still very stiff when pushed from the end. It,s the same stuff you get as a coil on cheep air hose. I would work it in from both ends of the bar starting with light taps and progressing to harder tapping.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SUCCESS!!! :hurray: but wasn't easy. Air did not work. Jammed way too tight for that. Plumber snake didn't work. The springy hook was giving too much. So, I cut that off. Still nit rigid enough. Loosing too much power at the end of the handlebar. So, I bent the snake about 3" outside the handlebar, put a nail inside it and hammered on the nail. Lather, rinse, repeat. SUCCESS!

Thanks for all the advice! Shame I'm too tired now for the celebratory ride...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pressure washer on the other end. Far more pressure and liquid does not compress.

Makes sure there is someone you don't like looking at the hole at the other end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts