StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost the key ring that has my wee key on it. What is the best way to get a replacement? The only solution from the local dealer is a new $200 ignition set.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
If you only had the one key and don't have the key number on the plate or recorded, try a locksmith.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There was a guy on here or ADV rider selling an ignition w/ 2 keys for $65. Not sure if it's still available.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I've lost the key ring that has my wee key on it. What is the best way to get a replacement? The only solution from the local dealer is a new $200 ignition set.
You might be surprised what a good locksmith may be able to do for you.

You might also look at the sign in the window that may read something like, "Help keep us in business, please DO NOT have a spare key made!"

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
One of my relatives was killed when he was 30 yrs old. Got run over by a truck. His motorcycle passed to another relative and the key was lost.

A locksmith was called out. He found a blank that would fit, then put something on the key and inserted it, then turned it. Then when he pulled it out it had marks where it was hitting inside. So he just filed it down. After a few tries he had a key and it fired right up.

Scary isn't it.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
This process is called Impressioning and a good locksmith can do it relatively quick.
Me, I'm not that good:headbang:
Mike

One of my relatives was killed when he was 30 yrs old. Got run over by a truck. His motorcycle passed to another relative and the key was lost.

A locksmith was called out. He found a blank that would fit, then put something on the key and inserted it, then turned it. Then when he pulled it out it had marks where it was hitting inside. So he just filed it down. After a few tries he had a key and it fired right up.

Scary isn't it.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Theoretically a dealer with your bikes VIN should be able to get the key from Sukuki

Usually for any particular vehicle model there are only a few different keys

Sometimes the accessories only the furthest bump does anything. Cheezy padlocks are like this too.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have a spare key from my totaled DL650.

The key number is A6876.

Let me know if that helps.

Norm

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Okay, I can restrain myself no longer....

"Man who loses key to girl's Vstrom gets no nookie."

·
Registered
83 Posts
local locksmith should be able to make one with the VIN. Also, he has a sign that says-"you need two keys-one to use and one to lose.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
He sucks at impressioning too:green_lol:
Mike

You better get that good cause your boss is fixin to retire before you know it.... :confused:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
A good locksmith will find it faster and easier to make a new key by "impressioning" than by farting around with VINs and key codes.

I paid about $50 for this last time I lost a key... either take the bike in on a trailer or remove the ignition lock and take it in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like I lucked out. I contacted the original owner (who I bought the bike from) and asked if he still had the spare key. He found it in the spare key drawer that everyone has. He is putting it in the mail today.

I asked about the key code and he couldn't find one. Is this common on the spare?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A new bike comes with two keys and a small metal tag with the key code etched on the tag.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
As soon as you recieve it run and get copies made and put the original away.
Mike

Looks like I lucked out. I contacted the original owner (who I bought the bike from) and asked if he still had the spare key. He found it in the spare key drawer that everyone has. He is putting it in the mail today.

I asked about the key code and he couldn't find one. Is this common on the spare?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts