StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get the vStrom out for a ride between rain storms here in the Sierras but seem to have lost my spare key. I was trying to find out if the DL1000A, 2014 model, requires an expensive key from the dealership or if I can go to a locksmith/hardware store and get a cheaper copy. I've seen conflicting information regarding chipped keys and immobilizers in the US. I still have one of my original keys but wanted to get a copy or two just in case...thanks.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I got one at a regular key shop. However, the key maker knew that a key blank for a Suzuki car would work if he cut the guide slot a bit longer. The objective is to allow the key to get all the way down to innermost pin. I had the bike with me so he cut it a little / tried it and then cut it a bit more. ( I got a second spare made in case this guy retires before my bike does )

Reactions: Motobillb

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Chinese keys via eBay arrived. I took my remaining original key and one of the blanks to my local hardware store. After a few minutes discussing the chip/no chip issues, the kid went ahead and cut the key. It works great in both the ignition and the luggage, so I'm very pleased. Thanks for the good information.

·
Registered
198 Posts
spare key

I went with the China key because I wanted to take off the clunky plastic and just go with metal. This allows me to stick the key into my wallet what is impossible with the OEM key. Turning the ignition by hand is still no problem.
In the closest HD store the machine couldn't read the key and therefor couldn't cut the key, besides they don't cut keys they don't sell!? So a few miles further a mom & pop shop cut the key with no problems.

If your key has a chip for the immobilizer will be indicated by the LED in your cockpit. Arrow below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
I went with the China key because I wanted to take off the clunky plastic and just go with metal. This allows me to stick the key into my wallet what is impossible with the OEM key. Turning the ignition by hand is still no problem.
In the closest HD store the machine couldn't read the key and therefor couldn't cut the key, besides they don't cut keys they don't sell!? So a few miles further a mom & pop shop cut the key with no problems.

If your key has a chip for the immobilizer will be indicated by the LED in your cockpit. Arrow below
I would suggest you delete that key picture, someone could make a key for your bike from it easily.

I like the idea of the key with no top, would be easy to store and carry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts