StromTrooper banner

Lost Headlights - Low and Hi

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  locoblanco 
#1 ·
Good day StromTrooper community.

Riding a 2007 Vstrom 650DL.

Was heading home after a tennis match, started the bike, turned it around, let off on the clutch and it stalled. Forgot to put the kickstand up...

Re-started the bike, went on my merry way. Got to a dark street and noticed I have no headlights.

Neither the low or high beams are working. Checked all fuses, all OK. Disassembled the hand controls, no burn marks or loose wires. Pulled the tank and air box, all the connections appear to be OK. No obvious shorts or burned wires.

Before going wire to wire to check continuity, where else should I be looking for the problem. Might I have a short or a bad ground effecting the lights? Everything else is working! Turn signals, hazards, horn, runs normally, etc....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance! DanoStrom

#4 ·
The first place to look is the big plug on the left side above the radiator.

It's the easiest place to start.

Open it up and look for a hot spot, both power and earth go through that plug.

If you don't have a relay fitted you have another weak point at the starter switch.

Each time you start the bike the starter switch turns the headlights off, that is a big load and a lot of work on a small switch so a relay is recommended to reduce the load and fix the weak point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.