StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My chain guard has gone bye-bye. First the rear mount tab snapped off the swing arm. I had it welded back on but it snapped again the next time in the dirt. Unfortunately, instead of removing the whole chain guard I just tied it off and kept riding. Next time I checked the whole thing was gone, so now I don't even have the original tab to weld back on.

So is there any real function of the chain guard, or is it purely cosmetic?

I use teflon multilube as chain lubricant so I don't have any stuff flinging off.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Get your pants leg or boot lace caught in the chain and you'll find out why they call it a "Guard". Replacing it is your choice, but if it were mine I would.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Get your pants leg or boot lace caught in the chain and you'll find out why they call it a "Guard". Replacing it is your choice, but if it were mine I would.
I think if you can get your leg back there on a Vstrom, you've got a whole different set of issues than pants in the sprocket....namely that you're not in the saddle anymore on a moving bike.

Mine fell off, and I haven't replaced it. Don't like 'em as a rule anyway just get in the way of cleaning and lubing....and like the OP I use non-flinging lube.

S

·
0 Posts
I think if you can get your leg back there on a Vstrom, you've got a whole different set of issues than pants in the sprocket....namely that you're not in the saddle anymore on a moving bike..
That just made me think how awful it would be to have what could be a relatively mild get-off turn into bloody hamburger-throwing affair if you DID get caught up in the chain/ sprocket as you were sliding down the road. There's a tip-over sensor tho, isn't there?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The TOS takes a couple of seconds to activate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, the chain guard covers the top of the chain. The chain is moving away from the sprocket on the top, so I don't see the increased hazard, unless I was going really really fast backwards. :yikes:

The bottom is more of a hazard and is unprotected even with the chain guard.

If it makes a difference I have Jesse side case racks on the bike, which makes it even harder to get my leg back there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My bike didn't have a chain guard when I bought mine(used). I bought one.It broke with my 18/45 gearing. My bike is a lot celaner with a chain guard.
I use teflon lube for the chain. The exhaust, wheels and swingarm are much cleaner. You would some unbelievable bad luck to get something caught in the chain with out the guard.

Les

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I think if you can get your leg back there on a Vstrom, you've got a whole different set of issues than pants in the sprocket....namely that you're not in the saddle anymore on a moving bike.

Mine fell off, and I haven't replaced it. Don't like 'em as a rule anyway just get in the way of cleaning and lubing....and like the OP I use non-flinging lube.
Many people talk about purchasing and mounting "highway pegs". My highway pegs are the passenger pegs. Once on the highway, I reach back with the toes of my boots, kick down the passenger pegs, and rest my feet on them.

There are no issues with my legs or feet being back there.

But, if I lost my chainguard, I would replace it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If your state has yearly vehicle inspections, it likely won't pass with out the guard. I took the chain guard off on my DRZ two years ago and haven't had any issues. Then again I don't bother to get that bike inspected.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
My chain guard has gone bye-bye. First the rear mount tab snapped off the swing arm. I had it welded back on but it snapped again the next time in the dirt. Unfortunately, instead of removing the whole chain guard I just tied it off and kept riding. Next time I checked the whole thing was gone, so now I don't even have the original tab to weld back on.

So is there any real function of the chain guard, or is it purely cosmetic?

I use teflon multilube as chain lubricant so I don't have any stuff flinging off.
You have obviously never been hit in the back of the leg by a broken chain have you?
Met a guy years ago who showed me the bruising and lacerations on his left leg when his chain threw on a trailie with no guard.

Admittedly chain breakages don't happen as often these days but I would not run without a chainguard.
Have seen a link somewhere that has a fully enclosed chinguard for the Vee/Wee, looks cool.

I ruined a pair of perfectly good pair of work pants and got some gashes on my leg once when a chainsaw threw the chain [the chain catch bolt had been removed from the saw :confused: not my saw, I had borrowed a mates saw while mine was being serviced].

·
Registered
654 Posts
I can't think of a single motocross bike that has a chain guard. And in my 30+ years of riding MX bikes, I never saw a need for a chain guard, except, *maybe* for preventing flinging lube everywhere. Which I believe, is the *only* function of the OEM chain guard on the V-Strom. I've considered removing mine several times....and in fact I just might this weekend.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I can't think of a single motocross bike that has a chain guard. And in my 30+ years of riding MX bikes, I never saw a need for a chain guard, except, *maybe* for preventing flinging lube everywhere. Which I believe, is the *only* function of the OEM chain guard on the V-Strom. I've considered removing mine several times....and in fact I just might this weekend.
MX bikes are typically ridden shorter distances between inspections. I'm just sayin.:argue:

·
Registered
654 Posts
MX bikes are typically ridden shorter distances between inspections. I'm just sayin.:argue:
I'd agree with that. Inspections probably put an entirely new twist on "to chain guard, or not to chain guard" discussions. In Michigan, it simply doesn't matter.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The only thing I could see why it's actually there would be for the chain lub fling. Also the clothing aspect.

As for protection against chain breakage I just don't see it. That piece of plastic, which isn't even reinforced on the other side of the swingarm, won't stop a chain break. If a chain break would make the chain go right through your crankcase I don't see how this "guard" would make a difference. Just sayin'...:beatnik:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Touratech

You should check out touratech. They have a really flashy and expensive aluminum replacement, but thats better than plastic IMHO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should check out touratech. They have a really flashy and expensive aluminum replacement, but thats better than plastic IMHO.

Made even more expensive by the fact I will need a new swingarm if I choose to replace it (remember, mounting tab broke off). Based on the responses and my initial gut feel, it seems I can do without. I will monitor the back of my left pants leg to see if it gets dirtier with it missing.

Thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You broke the mounting tab off?! I couldn't even fathom that, so I did some "selective reading" and missed that.

Well, that fact alone decided what you'd do..

If it were me, I'd probably end up trying to fab something that would end up being marginally effective and totally ugly, with the inevitable result of eventually running sans guard anyway...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
There's a guy on here selling a swingarm for $20, but it is from an 07 and wouldn't fit on your 04.

Anyway, just tell your passengers to be careful on that left side...wouldn't want their pant leg getting caught in the chain. They are after all closer to the chain than you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts