StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI - ’09 Wee with 25K miles on the original chain and sprockets, and it’s time to change them. I wasn’t looking forward to getting that c’shaft sprocket nut off, but when I put the socket on I realized it was loose. In fact it had backed out a turn or two.:yikes: Just lucky I guess, no harm - no foul, but you might want to check’em. I'll be keeping an eye mine.:bom_rolleyes4:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That should not be possible on a 650. There is a washer under the nut that is keyed to the splines and should be bent over against one of the nut flats. See what is wrong with yours and get a new washer if the old one is damaged.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
That should not be possible on a 650. There is a washer under the nut that is keyed to the splines and should be bent over against one of the nut flats.
Despite the peened over washer, it's loosened up on Black Lab too, a couple of times, if I remember right.

·
38,103 Posts
I suspect the washer and splines were not properly lined up. Also, I like the 83lb-ft spec of the DL1000 instead of the 105lb-ft spec on the 650 that may destroy the washer. Red Loctite is a good idea though.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Mine still moves a bit. I tightened the nut to 105lbs, used "blue" Locktite, bent the washer over one of the flat surfaces of the countershaft nut.

The nut backed off a little bit after riding a couple of thousand miles. I re-torqued the nut, rebent the washer and ALSO bent the washer over the opposite "flat" surface of the nut.

It still has moved some.

I checked it this past Sunday, as part of my maintenance before leaving NJ for WV. The nut has moved a bit by the two areas that I flattened washer down on to the nut. What did I do? I flattened a third part of the washer.....

I am back home now. I will take a closer look at what is going on here over the next couple of days.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Try red loctite ?

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Mine still moves a bit. I tightened the nut to 105lbs, used "blue" Locktite, bent the washer over one of the flat surfaces of the countershaft nut.

The nut backed off a little bit after riding a couple of thousand miles. I re-torqued the nut, rebent the washer and ALSO bent the washer over the opposite "flat" surface of the nut.

It still has moved some.

I checked it this past Sunday, as part of my maintenance before leaving NJ for WV. The nut has moved a bit by the two areas that I flattened washer down on to the nut. What did I do? I flattened a third part of the washer.....

I am back home now. I will take a closer look at what is going on here over the next couple of days.
That's really odd. I've had SV650 C/S sprockets on and off dozens (maybe hundreds??) of times and never had a problem. I just use blue locktite, hit them with the impact wrench and bend over the washer in one spot. Haven't had one loosen up at all.

·
38,103 Posts
I've got to wonder if the washer cogs are actually getting seated in the splines.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I've got to wonder if the washer cogs are actually getting seated in the splines.
I've done a number of them at the track where the washer was all buggered up and didn't seat right on the splines, never a problem.

Blacklab is obviously a competent wrench, so I'm mystified. :confused:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I will take a few photos tomorrow and share them. Maybe with some collective "head banging" the issue can be solved.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Washer was in good condition, but just not bent over very far from the factory.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I am not going to get to those photos I promised......

I am wading through over 1,000 photos I took during last week's trip.

I just started on Day 03.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts