StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding more gravel lately, and after washing the rear wheel i noticed one of the spoke is very loose. not just a different tone then the others, I can shake it around, its that loose.

It's my first time dealing with spoked wheels. Bike has 4000 km on it. Does anyone here have a good guide on tightening it back up? How much torque? or should I avoid messing with it and bring it to the dealer. it might be covered by the warranty but i would prefer learning how to fix it myself.

Thanks! Pic just for fun,
Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Plant

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
880 Posts
If the wheel is pretty true, you can just tighten it back up to the approximate tension of the others. Ping the other spokes with a plastic screwdriver handle. That approximate tone is a pretty good guide as you tighten the loose one.

If the wheel is not true, trueing it up is not a trivial job, but not rocket science either. Plenty of videos on Y-Tube if it comes to that.

A proper jig makes a big difference, but it's not too hard to make one.

The quick and dirty method just to get a general idea is to put it up on a service stand and use a sharpie held against the frame. Have your buddy spin the tire up a few times while you creep up to the rim with your sharpie. Once it starts marking the rim you can get an idea how much runout and eccentricity there is.

I doubt it's out of true very much. They are less fussy than a bicycle since you don't have rim brakes to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I've been riding more gravel lately, and after washing the rear wheel i noticed one of the spoke is very loose. not just a different tone then the others, I can shake it around, its that loose.

It's my first time dealing with spoked wheels. Bike has 4000 km on it. Does anyone here have a good guide on tightening it back up? How much torque? or should I avoid messing with it and bring it to the dealer. it might be covered by the warranty but i would prefer learning how to fix it myself.

Thanks! Pic just for fun, View attachment 292812
I'm not an expert, and you should take this as opinion. Personally, if it is just one, I'd just tighten it until it "rings" like the others. There is a specified torque value for it, which a service manual would tell you (I don't have mine handy), but I wouldn't sweat that for just one.

If more than one, I'd do the above, but would also pay someone smarter than me to check it out as soon as I had the opportunity.

Also, nice bike! I like the contrast of that "champion yellow" against the stormy backdrop.

Reactions: Micha

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the wheel is pretty true, you can just tighten it back up to the approximate tension of the others. Ping the other spokes with a plastic screwdriver handle. That approximate tone is a pretty good guide as you tighten the loose one.

If the wheel is not true, trueing it up is not a trivial job, but not rocket science either. Plenty of videos on Y-Tube if it comes to that.

A proper jig makes a big difference, but it's not too hard to make one.

The quick and dirty method just to get a general idea is to put it up on a service stand and use a sharpie held against the frame. Have your buddy spin the tire up a few times while you creep up to the rim with your sharpie. Once it starts marking the rim you can get an idea how much runout and eccentricity there is.

I doubt it's out of true very much. They are less fussy than a bicycle since you don't have rim brakes to worry about.
sounds like a good plan. didn't think of using the tone as a guide but that makes a lot of sense

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Just tighten it till a bit more than snug. Actual torque value is pretty low IIRC, like 8 ft pound or close to that. 5mm allen.

It's a good idea to put a wrench on them every oil change for the first 6k or so until they are well begged in. I also check them after any potentially rim-bending rides because I've lost a few on my DL1000 - rear wheel, bent the rim, spokes loosened quickly because of that and several left me before I caught it.

Reactions: Damirio
1 - 7 of 7 Posts