StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the bolts and fasteners seem to be present, and snug. The fairing however, particularly the upper part that houses the instrument cluster, shakes a bit and is noisy (rattles) over bumps. The condition has worsened recently. Should I dismantle the assembly and install thin rubber shock mounts at critical points? The whole thing doesn't feel very solid-sort of a conglomeration of flimsy plastic pieces. '05 DL650.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Did you check the two bolts holding the fairing frame to the main frame?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greywolf I didn't consider the possibility that the whole armature is loose. I'll check it out and see if I can access the bolts with the fairing still assembled.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Thanks Greywolf I didn't consider the possibility that the whole armature is loose. I'll check it out and see if I can access the bolts with the fairing still assembled.

Look here; right on front of the steering stem head. These two bolts have a history of backing themselves out. They should have threadlocker on them from the factory, but they don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. The top one is present and fairly snug, the bottom one is missing. I'll pull the top one and match to another bolt.

·
38,049 Posts
BTW Greywolf, did you catch this recent story from Canada?
I hadn't. I wish people would leave the wolves alone and they'll leave people alone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Greywolf! This site is the best!

My son and I did the PineBarrens300 in NJ a few weeks ago. I was on the KLR and he rode the DL650. ( I couldn't pick up that vstrom in the deep sand :()
At the end, he mentioned the front fairing and windshield seemed loose, moving a lot on the dirt roads and on bumps. Fine on smooth pavement.

Yesterday I went to fill up with gas, and sure enough I noticed the loose front fairing.
I searched this site last night, came to your picture (worth 2000 words) and checked it out today.
Sure enough, the top bolt was a bit loose, but the bottom one was more than 3/4 out! Blue loctite, and now they are in tight! Ill test ride tomorrow, but looks good!

I wish all my problems could be so easily solved by looking on Stromtrooper.com. :hurray:
Wait….. maybe they can!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
All the bolts and fasteners seem to be present, and snug. The fairing however, particularly the upper part that houses the instrument cluster, shakes a bit and is noisy (rattles) over bumps. The condition has worsened recently. Should I dismantle the assembly and install thin rubber shock mounts at critical points? The whole thing doesn't feel very solid-sort of a conglomeration of flimsy plastic pieces. '05 DL650.
Jus had same thing happen last week. Bottom bolt gone and top hanging by a thread. Easy fix once you guess where to look. Scarey till then :yikes:

·
38,049 Posts
The two frame bolts are M8x1.25, 20mm long hardened bolts. Suzuki's gone wild of late with thread locker use but those bolts actually need it.

Sometimes, the first problem noticed is the steering won't move much past center on one side. That happens when a frame bolt comes loose and falls on the lower triple clamp.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The two frame bolts are M8x1.25, 20mm long hardened bolts. Suzuki's gone wild of late with thread locker use but those bolts actually need it.

Sometimes, the first problem noticed is the steering won't move much past center on one side. That happens when a frame bolt comes loose and falls on the lower triple clamp.
Had this happen to me. Luckily it was in my driveway when I was pushing the bike around out of the garage. WTF, why won't the handlebars turn to the right?

·
Registered
2 Posts

From what I can work out this subject is about the dl650, are the bolt sizes the same size for the dl1000, anyone have an idea. I had the same problem, one missing and one 3/4 of the way out. Thanks all for the info, great post and info.

·
38,049 Posts
Vee, Wee and Glee all use the same bolts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I just checked mine and I'm happy to report that mine are on there 'gudentight'. (2014 DL 650 with 8000 miles) Maybe the problem has been addressed?

...........shu

·
Registered
21 Posts
bolt stuck in steering head bearings

Happened to me just after having gone over a cattle crossing (brrrrump!) and attempting a U-turn on a deserted road. Normally an easy maneuver, but this time the bike just wouldn't turn and fell to the lowside, catching my boot underneath the bike. The ladyfriend picked her self up, and then took enough weight off the bike to allow me to pull my boot free. Bruised crap out of my lower leg but we were OK.

The AWOL bolt got crammed by the steering lock stop lug into the steering head bearing itself, and it took a hammer (um, channel-locks) and a punch (um, screwdriver) to dislodge it. The lady's fingers were small enough to start the bolt threading back in, and a 10mm wrench (at last, the correct tool) snugged it up. Problem solved. Locktite came later.

Just the day before, we had crossed the Beartooth Highway experiencing winds so gusty I was afraid to stop for a photo op. We shudder to think what might have happened on that road if the steering had been compromised. Definitely not the shoulder you want to run off.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I made same discovery on my DL650 while playing on dirt roads in Smokies. Tightened up remaining bolt for trip home. Now with longer bolt with Nylock nut on back side ,a non repeater.
The one bolt on my old 86 Concours blew out the frame lug while exploring the dirt roads of the U.P. . The muffler clamp and angle iron brackets donated by a local fab shop lasted the next 75k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts