StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question to all you long term Wee operators, users, abusers!
2015 DL650A. 25,000 Ks
Bike started "creaking and groaning" more than usual.
Found one engine bolt and four sub frame bolts loose. One sub frame bolt missing...
I probably spend more time offroad than this bike is designed for. Mainly forestry tracks, fire roads and the like. A lot of high speed short sharp impacts involved..
A lot of our sealed roads out in the country are worse than the dirt tracks themselves. Sometimes it's a relief to get back on to the dirt
after 50Ks of patched tar roads.

SOOO my question is, what else should I be looking at, as far as fittings, nuts, bolts etc?

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
Replace the lost bolt and removing one at a time apply blue Loctite and torque to specification. Check the torque of all other engine/frame bolts.
Are you the original owner? Could a PO have fitted and removed crash bars etc?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replace the lost bolt and removing one at a time apply blue Loctite and torque to specification. Check the torque of all other engine/frame bolts.
Are you the original owner? Could a PO have fitted and removed crash bars etc?
Good call...
I put the crash bars on and yep, they were all loose...
That long through the top engine mount, was the main culprit me thinks..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to check the torque on all those frame/engine bolts! FYI - the owners manual has a page with a picture of the bike with all the bolts you should periodically check highlighted and their torque specs.

And for anyone else with a rattle, I just discovered my front fender is cracked right behind where it mounts to the fork. At various RPMs it will resonate and make quite the racket. This was caused by getting too full of mud so I guess I found out why they make fender risers...

·
Administrator
5,027 Posts
And for anyone else with a rattle, I just discovered my front fender is cracked right behind where it mounts to the fork. At various RPMs it will resonate and make quite the racket. This was caused by getting too full of mud so I guess I found out why they make fender risers...
Take it off and have it plastic welded or JB Weld the crack and inside the guard. It will just get worse until one day it will break off. I dislike roadside breakdowns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts