StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
13,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a bit of clunking noise from my front when I brake at very low speeds. i lloked at the front brakes calipers and discovered the left caliper has a bit of play in it. The bolts are tight and to be safe I jsut loosed and tightened them When I get home tonight (I'm at work right now)I will take it apart and take a look at it. Do yo uguys have any suggestions why the caliper can be loose while the bolts are tight?

Thanks,

Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
It's a floating caliper. It moves side to side on the pins on the carrier #7. As the fixed side pad opposite the pistons wears, the caliper has to be able to move outward to compensate. Also, whenever the brake is released the disc has to push the pistons in a little and push the fixed pad away to keep the pads from dragging so there is a lot of very small movements going on.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Which part do you see moving? Part number 7 bolts firmly to the forks. The part with the Tokico name slides straight sideways very slowly. You might put the brakes on, rotate the front wheel forward & back & wiggle sideways, and note exactly which part is moving. You can also gently pry the caliper open with a couple of screwdrivers, get the pads away from the disc, and wiggle it to look for looseness. Nothing should be loose. Let us know what you see. Pump the brakes firm before you ride again.

Many stromtroopers have spare front calipers after they've bought svracingparts' modification kit. If you need one, try posting for a good used caliper.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Should it have side to side movement? It clunks a bit when coming to a stop. The other side doesn't seem to have movement.

..Tom
That's the good thing about having two, you can compare.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Another thing that can be loose is the rotor on the center hub. It's a matter of degree. These things need to be able to move. If they move a lot, something is worn. Even if there is looseness, it is rarely a real problem. It's a personal decision what to do about it. Is there diminished performance? That's a real key.

·
Administrator
13,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thing that can be loose is the rotor on the center hub. It's a matter of degree. These things need to be able to move. If they move a lot, something is worn. Even if there is looseness, it is rarely a real problem. It's a personal decision what to do about it. Is there diminished performance? That's a real key.
I looked more carefully at the right caliper and it does move although much less than the left one. When I squeezed the brake the movement dissappeared. I am about to put new pads up front so maybe this is just a case of the pads being worn too much. I'll take it apart and look closely tonight and see exactly what is going on.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
So....what did you find?

Don't I remember RCACS having an issue with caliper wear a while back?

I know you use the horn and throttle a whole lot more than the brakes ( ;) ) but, with that many km's on the bike, there's bound to be wear.

·
Administrator
13,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amongst a pile of other things I did to the bike Monday (tapered Steering bearings, changed fork springs and fork oil, new battery and cleaned started switch contacts) I also put in new pads. I finsihed real late (3 am) so I will have to pay attention later but my initial impression, riding to work today, is that the noise was gone. Now, I wasn't looking for it but it should have jumped into my conciousness if it was still doing it.

Thanks,

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts