StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 180 mile trip today and I stopped (130 miles into the trip) to top off fuel before i got into the city.(gas prices) when i went to leave the gas station, my vee would start then die immediately. I pushed it over to the shade and started looking at the basics, first being oil level. To my surprise the glass was empty. I will admit i got a little over zealous and put in an quart. But luckily it was just over the high line. Then it ran just fine. Could this be a major issue?

The details:
06 DL1000 with 28k miles
No smoke on start up and i dont see any clouds behind me as im driving.
Geared 16/43
>70% was at 4,000 rpm with some slower areas
85- 90degree weather
Panniers fully loaded no extra bags

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
You shouldn't be burning any oil whatsoever. My exactly-the-same-as-your-bike has 200000 kms on it and I have never had to top up oil.

If you need to top up oil, the engine has a problem.

But back to the original point, your stalling engine problem is not likely related to oil.

A couple questions:

Was the bike level when you checked the oil level? And when did you last check the oil level? A quart is a massive amount. :surprise:

How long have you owned this bike? Do you know its maintenance history?

What's your idle rpm set to? (should be around 1200 or so rpm). If low, turn it up a bit with the adjust screw on left side of the bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm concerned that:
a) you had your bike on sidestand rather than vertical
b) you didn't wait long enough for the oil to settle

Check your bike cold, level and by owners manual.

I'd be worried about blowing seals on big revs, but an oil change will solve all.

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, i did check it initially “level” by pulling on the bike upright. Of course it was not cold due to riding all day. However, the 10 minutes it took to go into the station and get oil, eat a snack and hunt down a funnel should have been enough time for it to “settle” imo. The bikes oil capacity is 2700ml and a quart is just under 1000 ml. While it was a little over full, i was not coming out of the fill hole. I do downshift and run higher rpms when over taking traffic. But i am aware enough not to push too high, I usually up shift or slow down by 8000 rpm.

Idle is actually higher than you advise. It usually idles at 1500 and frequently it idle at 2000 rpm after coming to a stop. It does come down to 1500 after a minute or so.

Trying to answer all of questions for the both of you, let me know if i missed something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, the maintenance is known for the past 10,000 miles. The owner kept everything. Prior to that is a mystery

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Thank you, i did check it initially “level” by pulling on the bike upright. Of course it was not cold due to riding all day. However, the 10 minutes it took to go into the station and get oil, eat a snack and hunt down a funnel should have been enough time for it to “settle” imo. The bikes oil capacity is 2700ml and a quart is just under 1000 ml. While it was a little over full, i was not coming out of the fill hole. I do downshift and run higher rpms when over taking traffic. But i am aware enough not to push too high, I usually up shift or slow down by 8000 rpm.

Idle is actually higher than you advise. It usually idles at 1500 and frequently it idle at 2000 rpm after coming to a stop. It does come down to 1500 after a minute or so.

Trying to answer all of questions for the both of you, let me know if i missed something.
You have a hanging idle situation because the idle is set too high and/or you need to synchronize the throttle bodies and readjust the idle. Turn the idle speed down to 1300 and see what happens.

This still has nothing to do with the oil use which is worrisome, IMO. BTW, you can be way overfull without it reaching the fill hole, which is significantly higher up than the sight glass.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also make sure your throttle cables are adjusted properly, and that the throttle returns all the way to the stops when you let go of it. If the throttle hangs, it may seem to idle much faster than normal but that's really not "idling". And I agree, even 1500 RPM is too high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Return trip follow up: took the same route back with no issues. No oil loss or stalling on start up.....possible gremlin?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TBs were synced about 5k miles ago, according to the dealer receipts.... would it need syncing again?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Return trip follow up: took the same route back with no issues. No oil loss or stalling on start up.....possible gremlin?
Maybe the oil wasn't full to begin with? Perhaps you had a leak?

As for the TBS, if it was done properly it likely doesn't need another yet. But it is a procedure that is easy to do incorrectly and that can cause a hanging idle situation. When doing the procedure, follow the service manual or a reputable online tutorial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, ill look into the TBs... and as far as the oil issue. I topped it off on the Pre trip check...100ml. But im going to keep an eye on it nut move on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was the bike ever down in its life? Check your airbox to make sure there aren't any oil in the air box.

You may have some type of blockage in the air breather.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Usually there are three ways to lose oil. Leakage, burn it or push it into the coolant. You don't seem to have a significant leak. You can burn small amounts and not really see it if you are not looking for it. When passing at high revs you don't look back usually. Rub your finger inside a cool tailpipe. Is there oily residue. If the head gasket is allowing oil into your coolant (rare but happens) your coolant bottle will be full of brown milkshake.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Usually there are three ways to loose oil. Leakage, burn it or push it into the coolant. You don't seem to have a significant leak. You can burn small amounts and not really see it if you are not looking for it. When passing at high revs you don't look back usually. Rub your finger inside a cool tailpipe. Is there oily residue. If the head gasket is allowing oil into your coolant (rare but happens) your coolant bottle will be full of brown milkshake.
I believe oil can pass into the coolant via the water pump assembly as well if the seal has failed there. But, yes, you will see that in the coolant reservoir where it collects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, no oil residue on the pipes and coolant is just fine. As far as being dropped, my only reply is: i doubt it. The bike is scratch free aside from the parking lot drop that was my doing. But i had the saddle bags on and the airbox stayed above the engine level. anyway Im really not sure what happened with the oil. But, I went twice as far today and no visual oil loss. I did drain out the excess yesterday and filled up to the full line. However, that gremlin came back, the one where my bike would start and die. I gave it just enough throttle to force it to run....there was dead cylinder... i looked around for loose, wires frayed connections or anything that would visually evident. No luck. The gas station attendant came out and asked me to move, i was blocking a pump. So i thought i could start it and nurse it up the hill to the parking area. It fired up just fine! Drove around the parking lot, nothing wrong. Drove another 250 miles and several breaks without it missing again. What would cause this intermittent gremlin?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Have you checked your battery terminal connections? A loose ground wire has been known to cause problems. Costs nothing to check.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts