StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I currently have a 2002 Vee and I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading to a clean 2014 model. I know the 2014 was the first year of the new design and I'm curious if there is anything I should look out for or need to know before I make the purchase.

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
708 Posts
If you are not opposed to reading, there is a wealth of information right here on this very forum. There is an ECU recall. Other than that, it's a Japanese motorcycle with outstanding reliability, and better brakes and suspension from your gen 1. Dig into this forum and Stromtrooper, you will find your questions and answers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
There were several recalls but they should have long been taken care of. My V2 has 54k and I don't even think about it. Just common sense judging the PO and making sure the bike has been maintained and not abused.

A GIVI Airflow screen is a must in my book. Other setup tweaks are similar to other bikes, will be your preferences.

Clutch shudder still happens with some of them at higher mileage, similar to the VEE. The revised clutch basket cures that. Also fueling is not ideal, but apparently better than the 1st gen. I added a 'boosterplug" and that made it much nicer, down to 2000 rpm's.
Gearing is long so I run a 16T most of the time other than going out west (higher speeds allowed there and a long way from home) when I switch to stock 17T.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. I should have mentioned that the new bike is in the next state so I'm trying to do my homework before I get too far down the road.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
The Givi Airflow is awesome, $ well spent. I had an 07 Vee, then '12 Wee, picked up a barely used 14 Vee in Reno a couple years ago.
You are going to love it. ABS, trip computer, thermometer , digital gauges, traction control. And the passing power I didn't have with the 650. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a 2008 DL1000 and two 2014 1000s. Big difference in those. I now ride a 2019 DL1000A. Not that much difference between it and the 2014s. Anything in the 2014 to 2019 range should be great if taken care of. Besides the ECU recall, there was a recall on the wiring harness on the 2014s. If you get one that's been taken care of, you'll love it. You'll have to do your research on windshields. Those that have the Givi Airflow seem to really like them. I couldn't find a shield that I liked so I made my own along with some lower wind deflectors. Air flow is now like my Gold Wing. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2008 DL1000 and two 2014 1000s. Big difference in those. I now ride a 2019 DL1000A. Not that much difference between it and the 2014s. Anything in the 2014 to 2019 range should be great if taken care of. Besides the ECU recall, there was a recall on the wiring harness on the 2014s. If you get one that's been taken care of, you'll love it. You'll have to do your research on windshields. Those that have the Givi Airflow seem to really like them. I couldn't find a shield that I liked so I made my own along with some lower wind deflectors. Air flow is now like my Gold Wing. Good luck!
Hello Jim,
Could you post some photos of wind deflectors and how did you make those?
Tnx.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all. I took the ferry from Milwaukee to Michigan over the weekend and picked up a clean 2014 Vstrom 1000.

What a difference between the 02 and the 14, wow!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I'll bet that's quite a ferry ride, I've crossed Puget Sound several times, enjoy the bike,the 2014 is much nicer than I remember my 07.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello Jim,
Could you post some photos of wind deflectors and how did you make those?
Tnx.
dub_c, your post shows you with at 2016 DL1000, so it will be tha same layout as my 2014 that I made the wind deflectors for. Here are some pics of those deflectors and a pattern of how I cut them. The windshield on this bike has been considerably modified and is much more streamlined now. I just used industrial strength Velcro to attach the lowers and they never move but you can pull them off if you want to for service or anything. They really get rid of the flow that comes in under the windshield and results in buffeting. The deflector needs to be heated and bent a bit where the large and small sections intersect. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
What type of plastic is that? I'd like to add deflectors like that and take a little bit of wind off my lower body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts