StromTrooper banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Vendor
5,085 Posts
Just make sure you read up on the problem with the rear end and make sure your bike has a spacer fix. After that there are some of what I call essential upgrades.

Web traffic is up 900%.

We are going to be locked up in here together for a long time. Please try to be nice to each other.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post here.I am looking to get a used 1000 which ones should I stay away from?Thanks for any information.I looking to spend under 6k
Down here in New Zealand i have a black 2006 DL1000, 109k on the clock and runs sweet. Having owned many bikes over my 57 years on the planet, can honestly say my wife and myself both enjoy getting out when we can. Ill probably do over 300k on this one and would buy another just for the hell of it. I had a SV1000 that was fun for me but not the wife. I have the sargent seat and remus revolution pipes. I still have people admiring the bike......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks everyone for information.
I will check into the wheel spacer.is there a easy way to tell if it has it.
I will also order fork brace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I heard back from Terry yesterday and I should have clutch basket next week yeah. I have new clutch rod(the old one was corroded)and gasket.I also got new slave cylinder. I ordered the wheel spacer kit and fork brace. I got to work on back brake it takes a lot of force to slow down. I installed new fluids in everything did no change the rear brakes.any suggestions?thanks in advance

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,265 Posts
Well, I don't mean to alarm you, but the rear brake on these things ( both 650 and 1000, all years ) has about as dead of a feel as any bike I have ridden. Works fine, but seems to take a lot of effort to get it to feel like it is working. About that time the rear wheel locks. They just don't have good feel. They do generate more stopping force than you realize. It does help the feel to go to AA pads or other more aggressive aftermarket pads. Make sure the system is flushed and bled well and that is about all you are going to get. Which is fine once you get used to it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
This rear brake discussion brings up a question in my feeble brain.

Is there an option to replace the rear calipers for better braking??? Similar to the upgrades possible with the front calipers. I replace the OE fronts with Nissin 4 pots and the improvement in braking was amazing!!!

Here's my front brake upgrade.

·
Registered
938 Posts
This rear brake discussion brings up a question in my feeble brain.

Is there an option to replace the rear calipers for better braking??? Similar to the upgrades possible with the front calipers. I replace the OE fronts with Nissin 4 pots and the improvement in braking was amazing!!!

Here's my front brake upgrade.
View attachment 271084
I don't think there is any hope for the rear. The stock caliper locks the wheel easily. A better caliper would just lock it even easier. I think the lack of feel is down to the lack of weight on the rear tire when braking, so doubt a better caliper will be any help with feel, either.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't think there is any hope for the rear. The stock caliper locks the wheel easily. A better caliper would just lock it even easier. I think the lack of feel is down to the lack of weight on the rear tire when braking, so doubt a better caliper will be any help with feel, either.

Cheers,
Glenn
Yeah, I was hoping there was something out there with a better feel that the wooden OE caliper.

I've already ordered an aftermarket plate for the rear brake pedal hoping it would help. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

Cheers,
Glenn
Some good points.
Upgraded to braided rear and sintered pads and I lock it way too easy.
Locked it up a while back and got it all crazy loose rear end and hit the ground panic braking.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
938 Posts
Some good points.
Upgraded to braided rear and sintered pads and I lock it way too easy.
Locked it up a while back and got it all crazy loose rear end and hit the ground panic braking.
Mike

Sorry man. I hope that didn't hurt you or the bike too badly.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Sorry man. I hope that didn't hurt you or the bike too badly.
My pride more than anything!
Crash bars and pelican cases helped prevent a lot of the damage, destroyed the givi windshield and tweaked alignment of rox risers but was able to ride home.
Mike

41 - 54 of 54 Posts