StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm a Wee owner, but my brother is looking at purchasing a used 1000. I don't know much about the V's, so any info you can give me to pass on to my bro' would be appreciated:

I'm looking at a 2002 Vstrom 1000. The dealer is asking Cdn $5,300 for it. I tried finding a blue book value but it's more of pain using it than just asking if it's a good price with the accessories listed below. From the forum I gleaned that the range is U.S. $4500-5500. The bike has:

48,000 km on it and it looks in overall great condition
Suzuki luggage racks and panniers (both sides and back)
An add-on plastic skid plate below the engine
An after-market seat (not gel)
Plastic hand guards
Plastic head-light guards
Taller wind-screen with add-on sides to increase width

Things I noticed:

Some coolant seeping out at the bottom (improper mainteance? Easy fix?)
Very loose exhaust clamp bolt at the front where the down pipe and mid-pipe join. (I'm thinking it's probably one of those things that just vibrate loose and have to keep an eye on).
There is a scrape on one headlight the size of a quarter (possibly dropped or replace previous one with a slightly damaged one?).

The dealer doesn't have the maintenance records and says that they rarely get them on used bikes. He isn't aware of fuel system or clutch issues. He was reluctant to offer a warranty, but said they "wouldn't leave me hanging and could offer me a deal for parts and free labour or whatever". I'll push for something in writing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The price seems kinda high to me. I recently purchased a very clean '06 Vee with 11,000 miles on it from the original owner for (US) $5,000.

I suspect the coolant leakage is coming from the waterpump.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Unfortunately the prices in Canada always are higher. If I was selling my 2008 Vee which is similarly equipped with less Km's I'd be looking for $5000. I've seen U.S. bikes with more farkles and less miles for less $$$. Go figure.

P.S. - I'm not thinking of selling... having too much fun!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unfortunately the prices in Canada always are higher.
Must be that way elsewhere as well. I was looking at an FJR on a dealer lot, and we were chatting trade value. He said he would just get at buyer bid from some guys in Denver, and that they typically ship Stroms and similar bikes to Europe for resale.

·
Registered
87 Posts
vstrom134 has a beautifull blue 07 for sale right now 8000 miles all stock for $5000.00 heck of a deal....

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Important things on the bike IMO are the engine guards, and the center stand. It sounds like your bike has neither. That coolant leak would concern me. If the pump is leaking it's not a simple fix and could cost a lot of money to repair.

How do the tires look? What about the chain and sprockets?

Does it have heated grips?

All these extra items add up fast if you go to add them later.

I would probably pass on that bike as it has fairly high miles on it too. Not high for a Strom, but past that point where people would pay top dollar for it.

If you still want to buy it, have that coolant leak checked out first. Make it part of the sale. Have it fixed properly, then buy it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought my '07 Vee new and last year it developed a slight coolant leak on the lower Rad hose--I tightened it with a screwdriver and it has been fine since. Find out where its leaking--it is probably just one of the hoses.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike doesn't have engine guards, but it does have a centre-stand. We opened one of the paniers and it had the original windscreen, as well as a new backrest that could be bolted to the back panier. No heated hand grips. The said they'd do a complete inspection before it left the shop, including fixing the coolant leak and replacing the rear tire. I'm not sure about the chain and sprocket I'll have another look at that (btw, how do you know if it needs replacing?), and I'd get them to replace if needed.

To put things in perspective, all of the farkles add up to about Cdn $1,900 (to purchase today). A brand new Vee, with current specials is going for 10,500 (previously 12,000).

I took it out for a ride this morning. It seemed to run a little rough and loud, but he said that was normal for a big vee. It's a hot and humid day, about 30 C (or 90 F). When idling when it wasn't as smooth as compared to other bikes, leaving me wonder if it would stall. Is this normal? Does it need tuning? No problems accelerating. It seemed to like 4-5,000 RPM.

The scrapes that were on the headlights seem to be from the guards themselves! It seems that at higher speed, the guards push and vibrate against the headlights, and if there's some grit in there...

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well,,, imo,, I have never trusted what dealers ( car or bike) claim they are gonna fix, and then warranty. Dealers make alot on used stuff, but imo, they don't present it very well, meaning if i found same or similar bike at private seller, it would def. look better, cleaner, prolly run better also. sounds like this one does not run crisply,, but you are getting quite a few extras, i dunno,,, at least you got to drive it... last sat. my friend traded a blackbird honda sport touring bike, ( don't know jack about honda's) on a 07 zx-14. well, he didn't drive it, and within ten miles, we could tell thier was a prob with front brakes, (poss. rotors at over 200.oo each) all they would do is cost on the parts!!!!!! and i think alittle off on labor!!! :thumbdown: good luck,,, let us know!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was my brothers reply to the above threads.

For my own response:
Engine guards are a worthwhile purchase. I have the SW Motech set, and they are easy to install and will save the plastic on the bike from a drop. Mine have already come in handy.... ;)
I was reading on a previous thread regarding the extra wide windscreens. The guy said that during gusty winds the screen would wobble back and forth significantly to the point of it being annoying.
The heated grips are a really nice to have, but some people say if you have good handguards that they will keep your hands allot warmer than nothing. If you want to upgrade your handguards I have an extra set of Barkbusters that I ordered by accident and will fit your 1000. Special discounted brother price :)

I find my Wee, even though new, does not sound like other bikes. I can't really describe it as this is my frist bike. Low throaty growl....
Anything below 3000 RPM and I need to downshift. She starts chugging pretty good below 3K. In 1st she chugs really well while coasting along riding the clutch. She cruises in 6th at 110 km/hr at about 5250 RPM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How is your search going? I have a 1000 for sale and I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell it. How did you go about doing your search? Thought I'd do a little market research with you. Did you look in local ads, a trader mag, Ebay, etc...? BEst of luck to you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My deal suggestion

I spent about a month looking for my strom, and I got a great deal. I think the trick to getting a good deal is having the cash ready, being patient, and being willing to hop in the truck and drive to buy it. Watch craigslist for a better deal.

I got an 02 with 7800 miles on it for $3,000 USD with full Givi Monokey luggage set only 4 miles from my house.
Having a boring office job helps.
Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts