StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m Paul and live in SoCal. Had other bikes before and now looking at an adventure bike. Keep reading about the VStrom and now looking to pick one up in the next couple of weeks hopefully. It would be for fun and some commuting plus 2up riding. Looking to learn a lot from this group. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Yessir! Welcome.

ADV bikes are the swiss army knife of riding. You'll be happy with the strom. I'm still impressed how agile they are after 4 years. Always a joy to ride.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Welcome Paul. You'll find this a useful forum.
And yeah, the V Strom is a very cool bike. We try not to mock the folks who spent too much on the fancy other brands. I call the V Strom a thinking man's Ducati.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Have you looked at other Adventure bikes to make sure your basis are covered. Are you looking for new or used? What is your budget. One you get into the $5,000 -$7,000 ish price range the world of gently used bikes really opens up.

The DL series bikes are great no doubt and the price of entry is certainly attractive. But the attractive price comes at the bike being a sort of blank slate. This is a double edged sword. You can make the bike yours but typically in doing so you end up spending more money than if you would have bought something higher spec from the beginning.

We've talked ad nauseum about Suzuki verses XYZ brand but what I can tell you is from personal experience I bought a used DL650 for $4,900 (going price in 2015) and added $2,000 to it for a total of $6,900. Two years later I bought a 2006 R1200GS 99% stock with full factory luggage for $7,000. The BWM for me a much better bike in every department for the same money. The stock BMW power, suspension, brakes, ergo are all better than the DL even after adding many mods.

Don't get me wrong the DL may be the perfect bike for you but if you haven't looked around, look around. There are lots of solid bikes out there. You just need to finds what works best for you.

·
Registered
705 Posts
OP , First off Welcome to the forum, Lots of great people on here to converse with.

Second -if going with say a DL650 Think about if you will be doing or wanting to do any off road
or light dirt riding. The XT version fits this area a bit better than the standard version.

Still any 650 or 1000 is a solid pick. Seat height can be a bit tall for shorter riders.
But lots of products to help with that too.

Fun bikes to fix up the way you like it with plenty of storage ideas for a 2 up trip.

When you think of this bike as an ADV think of : Part Enduro, part sport bike, part Touring..

They are pretty much all of this balled into one bike.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wow, killer deal! What year is that?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome! Nice bike, and hard to beat that price.

While your original question appears to be answered, I still wanted to add my thoughts for any others considering the V-Strom platform.

After riding a Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 for several years, I was looking for something A) smaller, for easier maneuvarability, and B) with a more upright riding position, to relieve pressure on my wrists. Besides the V-Strom, bikes like the Honda NT700V, Honda NC700X, BMW G650GS, Kawasaki Versys and a few others were in the mix. I spoke to a lot of folks that had been riding for many years and had owned multiple bikes each. In literally EVERY case where one of those bikes was a V-Strom, the owner said it was the best bike they'd owned; those who sold them always regretted it. That was high enough praise for me.

Even so, I took whatever opportunities I could to ride those other bikes. While I'd say the NC700X was a close 2nd, that advice from the other riders was what really tipped it for me. To ride those other bikes, I had to find people in the area trying to sell them and feign enough interest to get a test ride. I felt a bit bad about doing so, as I knew I wasn't really ready to buy at that time. But now there's what I consider a much better option out there. Both Riders Share and Twisted Road offer the ability to rent bikes from other owners at very reasonable rates. I would have happily spent $80-$100 per bike to get a full-day test ride. If you're in an area where there are ample choices with these shared ride companies, it may be something to consider.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Both Riders Share and Twisted Road offer the ability to rent bikes from other owners at very reasonable rates. I would have happily spent $80-$100 per bike to get a full-day test ride. If you're in an area where there are ample choices with these shared ride companies, it may be something to consider.
And you might find that the bike you rented is actually for sale.

I've wondered about the mind set of folks who rent their bikes in those systems. Might be someone who loves their bike but can't make the payments. OR it might be someone who has made the calculation that they don't really like the bike and don't want to do the Craig'sList shuffle. After all it is fully insured and they might end up "selling" it to their insurance company.:wink2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts