StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am a new rider and looking get a V-Strom. There is one in my area that is a 2004 650 with 115k miles on the frame. The owner has swapped in a SV650 engine and says there are 18k miles with that engine. Would these be show stoppers for getting this bike? I would really like to get a V-Strom but they are hard to find used by me. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
You mean 115K on everything but the motor? Who knows what that means. Does the previous owner have records of maintenance/parts replaced? I guess it boils down to dollars and cents. Does it make sense to spend less money on something that may require more dough to get it up to snuff?

I'm currently selling my strom and looking for another bike so I know what it's like to be impatient but, if I were you, I would just hold out until something less risky pops up. There is always another bike out there.

Be sure to check out the various craigslist search engines (i miss jaxed :headbang:) like all of craigs or search tempest and forums such as this one.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The high mileage on the frame might mean that it may need bearings in the wheels and suspension, plus fork overhaul. No problem if the price accounts for that.

The SV engine has different characteristics from the DL engine. The SV is peakier with more power at the top end. The DL has some of that power moved to the lower rpm range for smoother trail & dirt road riding. What's your preference?

I'd wait, maybe travel, to find a better strom.

·
Registered
15,545 Posts
I'd be expanding your search from Tucson to San Francisco. I was lucky and found a clean one 40 miles away from home.
115K miles is a lot but I've done more on some bikes and they were fine...for me. I wouldn't pay much for 100K mile bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts