StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just signed up (felt funny as I haven't even put a deposit down on one) to this forum. Right now I'm trying to nail down the best price for the bike and accessories that I can get. From the looks of things I'll be buying it in GVA (greater Vancouver area). This site and others have been a good source of info and contributed to my decision to buy the dl650. So thanks and keep on strommin'. :D

B

·
0 Posts
I can't make up my mind.

Somebody please help! I am looking to buy a new bike within the next couple of weeks. However there is only one small detail that keeps getting in my way. I can't decide on which Suzuki to buy. The two I have decided to choose between are the DL650 V-Strom and the 650 Burgman. Wow! Not even close in bike comparison, I know. But, these are the ones I favor. So taking the fact that I am fairly new to the riding scene (only about 2 years now) and the fact that I am a large man (300 lbs. and 6' 1")which bike should I get? Anyone that would like to offer advice (about the bike choice) please do not hesitate to reply. Thanks for all the great posts that I have already read.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think "which bike should I buy?" is a bad question. I might recommend you get a 250 Ninja, while you have your heart set on a Goldwing.

The ideal bike is whatever you want. Choosing between very distinct bikes like the v-strom and the bergman is actually pretty easy- compare the very distinct features, determine what you like.

If you really can't see a difference between the two, you might think about getting a cheap "learner" bike for a while so you can form an opinion on the matter. Perhaps then you'll decide you really want something totally different.

Plus, a board full of v-strom enthusiasts is going to recommend a 'strom.

Taking the high road,
-ted

B

·
0 Posts
Well you see, there is my problem. I am a parts mgr at a Suzuki dealership. I used to ride a long time ago, but have been back in the riding scene now for about two years. I just came off of a dr650 dual sport and really enjoyed it, but now its time to move on up a bit. I see all the new bikes and have ridden just about them all as far as Yamaha an d Suzuki go. I really like the features of the Burgman, but I am afraid of the "Scooter Image", also I like the V-Strom, but just not sure about the seat (the saddle is a little short for a big man) so I am still no closer than before.Now the comment about the ninja and goldwing was cute but not helpful. Keep trying!

Thanks

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't mind being told to keep trying. At least you are familiar with the bikes- that's a good start, eh?

Only you can answer if you care about the scooter image. If you care about image, you should probably switch dealerships, eh? Otherwise, screw 'em and ride whatever you feel like. If you always let others dictate what you like, give me a call- I've got an 85 Rebel 250 I'll sell you, only $5000! Yeah, that's the ticket.

You're certainly familiar with the "real" dualsports. If that's something you like, the 'strom would be a good fit.

B

·
0 Posts
I just came off of a dr650 dual sport and really enjoyed it, but now its time to move on up a bit. I see all the new bikes and have ridden
I also have a DR650. The DL650 is similar to the DR but has all the annoying things corrected. It's smoother, more powerful, a lot more comfortable and has some wind protection.

If you think it's a bit cramped swap seats with someone who has a DL1000 and wants a lower seat.

The big scooters are fun but not comparable to riding a bike

Bobb

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I can say I've bought a silver dl650. Problem is the dealer is 8hrs. away. :x Oh well I'll take a few days off in a couple of weeks and go pick it up.

G

·
0 Posts
scooter

The choice was easy for me. Just the word scooter make the scarfs in my knee aching. If you want decent transport from A to B, scooter is fine. If you want to ride and have real fun, DL650!

P

·
0 Posts
Re: scooter

grnddad said:
The choice was easy for me. Just the word scooter make the scarfs in my knee aching. If you want decent transport from A to B, scooter is fine. If you want to ride and have real fun, DL650!
Not true at all. I enjoy my Burgman 650 just as much as my V-Strom.
It is easily as much fun, just different.

The Burgman 650 is actually more comfortable on long rides, handles quite well in the twisties, is more stable in crosswinds, and will cruise all day on the interstate at 85 mph. It's a great machine with a very high fun factor.

I'm not going to get in a debate over this - particularly in a Strom forum :wink: , but I absolutely love both machines, and I'd buy the Burgman again in a minute.

V-Strom DL1000 purchased in March of '03 - ridden 5,300 miles.
Burgman 650 purchased September '03 - ridden 4,500 miles.

T

·
0 Posts
Okay Paul, you have my attention. :)
I love scooters, and it's time for me to admit it. :D
A coupla years ago I rented a 125cc Yamaha two-stroke scooter in England. What a riot. I had more fun on that thing than I've ever had on two wheels. I've been cautiously eyeing them ever since, and the Burgman seems highly desireable.
I guess my question to you would be: What is the maintenance like? Can you do it yourself? Tires?
TIA Tom

P

·
0 Posts
Whew! I thought you guys would tear me up!

Actually, it is just in the last couple of years that the Super-Scooter class has evolved. They are really more of a step-through motorcycle than a traditional scooter. The Burgman 650 has an intelligent CVT automatic that can also be shifted manually as a 5 speed - it works so well in auto mode that I rarely override it. The engine is 1/2 of a Hayabusa, mounted parallel to the ground. It is fuel injected, runs great on 87 octane gas like the V-Strom, and very smooth. Rated at 55 hp. The Burgman 650 has about the same wheelbase as my DL1000, but it weights more - it is not a smaller machine. The center of gravity is lower on the scooter. Twin disk brakes up front, 1 disk in the rear.

There is a 56 liter trunk under the seat and 3 glove box compartments in the dash. I've added a 52 liter Givi trunk, and also bought a hump bag - like a tank bag that rides on the hump between your feet (which is really the engine access hood). So luggage capacity is similar to my V-Strom (which has the factory Kappa luggage set plus a good expandable tank bag). It's just that the underseat trunk on the Burgman is a lot handier than the clamshell side cases on the Strom - I have carried 2 cases of pop plus several plastic grocery bags under the seat with no problem.

There are some guys doing their own maintenance. I ordered service manuals for both the Burgman and the V-Strom earlier this week. Obviously, the main issue is that there is more bodywork to remove to access things on the scooter - the bodywork has some screws, put also utilizes those infamous pushpins that we find on the V-Stroms. There are three oil compartments - engine, transmission, and rear drive. Final drive is a series of 5 gears - it is unique - not chain, shaft or belt. Valve adjustments are shim-under-bucket.

Tires are very wide, low profile, radials. There isn't much of an aftermarket selection yet. But aftermarket is ramping up. I have a Clearview windscreen on mine (the stock one was awful - but not as awful as the stock V-Strom screen). Givi makes trunks & mounts for it. I have Koni shocks on the way - I've been hoping they'd arrive today. I also ordered a Remus exhaust for it this week (I have Remus cans on my V-Strom too). Soon I'll have a scooter that doesn't sound like a Buick :D .

The scooter stigma thing has really not been an issue. This thing always draws folks to it when I stop for a break, and they are fascinated with it. I had a guy in a new Corvette roll down his window at a stoplight to ask me how I liked it. I was walking out of a bar with my riding friends (we went in there for some chicken livers for lunch, not to drink). Some Harley guys in full poser garb were at a table by the door. One said, "Who's riding that Suzuki"? I said I was. Geez, they asked me questions about it for about 15 minutes - they thought it was cool. My riding friends don't care if I show up for a ride through the twisties on my V-Strom or the Burgman - I keep up with the group either way.

The Burgman does well in the twisties, and it is very stable on the highway - what it lacks is top end - its pretty much all done at 100 mph, but it will accelerate fine up through the high 90's. It's not as fast as a V-Strom, but it is fast enough to be fun.

For anyone who has an interest, there is a forum very similar to this one at BurgmanUSA.com (no leading www).

Now, back to regular (V-Strom) programming...

T

·
0 Posts
Paul, thanks for the writeup. :D
I had seen your bikes listed at the bottom of your posts, but hadn't made the connection. It sounds like an amazing machine. It sounds almost like a modern version of a cruiser.
There's a Burgman I keep seeing at the local Starbucks [how's that for a cliche?]. But I think it's the 400. And I have indeed stared at it for long periods. Anyway, very impressive. I think I'll check out that website.

Tom

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking to buy DL650

There is a nice review in the May 2004 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News on the Burgman 650. Their pans were silly name (sound familiar V-strom), exhaust sounds as silly as the name and could stand to lose a little weight. I wish I could afford one to ride back and forth to work and the grocery store.

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Looking to buy DL650

rider1951 said:
There is a nice review in the May 2004 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News on the Burgman 650. Their pans were silly name (sound familiar V-strom), exhaust sounds as silly as the name and could stand to lose a little weight. I wish I could afford one to ride back and forth to work and the grocery store.
The name is more awful than V-Strom - in Japan they call it the Skywave, which I think is much nicer.

Exhaust is WAY too quiet - one of the kids from down the street asked me if it had an electric motor. :cry: I have a Remus exhaust on the way - should take care of that. It will never sound as cool as the V-Strom though, due to the way the CVT works.

The weight I don't mind. It is the most stable 2 wheel machine I've ever had in crosswinds (which we deal with frequently here in the Midwest). I wouldn't want to compromise that by making it lighter. It is no harder to get on/off the centerstand than my V-Strom. It has a very low center of gravity. To me, the weight is a non-issue.

It's amazing how frequently both the V-Stroms and the Burgmans have been reviewed lately. The Strom got a nice boost this year with the addition of the 650. I've heard rumors of an 800cc Burgman coming in the near future... yikes!

Bottom line - I hadn't owned a Suzuki since 1983 - these machines brought me back to the brand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Looking to buy DL650

"] I've heard rumors of an 800cc Burgman coming in the near future... yikes!. If this is true look out Goldwing! :shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts