StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I discovered a nice shiny screw sticking in my back tire. I pulled it out some and heard air hissing out. I'd like to save my money and order a repair kit and a new rear tire rather than having to bring it to the bike store and pay their crazy prices for tires. I'd heard people talk about worm kits and plug kits. Are these the same thing with a different name? I'm looking for recommendations for a good tubeless repair kit that can be bought offline..amazon if possible..I've got some birthday money to spend..

Also does a plugged tire need to be replaced or can it be ridden on safely?
My rear tire has less than 3k so it would be a pain to have to replace it already..

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I run this kit under the seat, and currently have one shroom in my rear tire. Been there for the last 2k, repaired on the road in less than 10 minutes. Also repaired the rear tire on my Kubota when the string and the slime could not and would not work. It was my first shroom plug repair in the comfort of my garage as I wanted to familiarize myself with the tool.
I love it and glad I got it! Seems like decent quality and enough shrooms to last a damn long time.

Amazon.com: Stop & Go International Tubeless Tire Plugger with CO2 1001: Automotive

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I've ridden thousands of kms with plugs in my tires, in my car, my track car and my bike.
I've tried to take one out of a bike tire once and the tire came apart before letting the plug loose.

I use the red twizzler-look-alike type of plug and set them on fire and let them melt into the tire. There's soem cheaper black ones out there, but I haven't tried them; the price difference is minimal.

I think the plugs and kit together cost like 10$ at auto-parts stores.
I wouldn't wait for amazon to ship a repair kit (it's likely to leave your bike sitting on a flat for weeks).

I keep the plug kit and a slime compressor under my seat right behind the factory toolkit; they are very valuable additions to any vehicle and I also keep the same kit in my wife's car (but with a bigger compressor).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Plugged a hole till I could replace. Some holes are more than they may appear.
I found the tip end of a small screw driver inside the carcass. Penetration was way to jagged/ragged to trust to the plug.

Cabela's and other box sporting stores may have ATV kits that will work cheaper than the bike shop kit.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have a Stop-n-go mushroom kit, and plugged a friend's tire the other day. It is still holding just fine. If I were to do it over, I would go with a Nealy kit. Never heard anyone say anything bad about them, and even the Stop-n-go site warns the mushrooms are not permanent repairs on steel belted radials.

Also does a plugged tire need to be replaced or can it be ridden on safely?
My rear tire has less than 3k so it would be a pain to have to replace it already..
A source of great controversy. Probably the best course of action, assuming a center-tread puncture, is to just run the plug until the interweb community gets this issue sorted...or the tire wears out...and the next one...and the next one...

I've run thousands of miles on auto-store plugs. I think the rubber cement kind go in easier and bond to the tire nicely, permanently.

Also, I have not had to worry with any of this (knock, knock on wood) since I started using Ultrseal. Can't say the same for my experience with RideOn. And I get perfect, no-weight balance as a bonus.

And finally, most mc shops I've dealt with have been very reluctant to plug a tire. Most say liability concerns, but I suspect tire sales a more plausible explanation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts