StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My more experienced motorcyclist friend tells me the forums are the "cool place" to get info on any motorcycle.

I am diving into maintenance for the first time on my 07 DL650 in preparation for this coming season. I am slightly terrified.

I will first be working on the shims, replacing and bringing them to spec, as there is a small rattle in the engine when the throttle is released.
Then second, I am replacing the front fork seals, as they weep from the previous owner.

What tips, tricks, and watch-out-fors do you have to share?

Thank you all in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Waz.

First tip, get a Service Manual if you haven't already.

Second tip, do a search of the forum for the topic interested in. Lots of good info here on checking valves and doing fork seals.

There's also Black Lab's website and he just happens to have/had a 2007 DL650. Lot of good info there too.

Black Lab Adventures

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Try cleaning your fork seal first, often it is only dirt suck in the seal that causes the weep.

I like to use a seal doctor for this, you can also get a seal mate or make your own from a plastic bottle.

I like to fit a strip of kitchen scourer between the dust seal and the oil seal, this picks up the crud before it can damage the oil seal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is a wealth of good information on here and the responses are always very helpful without some of the condescending attitude on other forums.

I haven't done the valves on my 2007 650 yet but I did find a neat trick for the fork seals years ago that has always worked for me. I use electrical tape to seat the seal rather than buy different size drivers. Never had an issue with this method. I found a video that helps to explain it though I'm sure a quick google and find more expansive ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts