StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
142 Posts
If you want to block the wind from your lower half cheaply, you can always use rain pants over your regular riding gear.
It works :cool:
Yep, I do that often. Works great and you always need to have the rain gear along anyways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a full insulated set of coveralls that I use when shoveling snow ... and they are actually to warm when doing physical labor. So was planning to have those on over my thermal jeans and then add wool socks. I've ordered the Oxfords (only set that would be here in time to get installed), and a standard set of handguards.
I'm getting pretty excited about this trip. The only thing I don't have yet is rain gear, but found a decent Frog-something set at the local Cycle City that I might grab to have along ... just in case the weather folks don't get it quite right... ;-)

Thanks all for the great tips. I will let ya know how the trip goes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a full insulated set of coveralls that I use when shoveling snow ... and they are actually to warm when doing physical labor. So was planning to have those on over my thermal jeans and then add wool socks. I've ordered the Oxfords (only set that would be here in time to get installed), and a standard set of handguards.
I'm getting pretty excited about this trip. The only thing I don't have yet is rain gear, but found a decent Frog-something set at the local Cycle City that I might grab to have along ... just in case the weather folks don't get it quite right... ;-)

Thanks all for the great tips. I will let ya know how the trip goes.
I have a set of Frog Toggs, and for what they are, and how cheap they are I can't complain.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Handlebar muffs (Hippo Hands) work well too. Easy on and off. Use no electricity. Finding the ones that fit your moto and don't collapse every time you remove your hand is important.
My old Vetter Hippo Hands don't fit my Strom. And they're very bulky if I decided to remove them during a ride because it warmed up a lot.

I've made rain covers out of trash bags when I encountered monsoonal rain on a trip. Works well for keeping rain off but they're a pain to get a wet glove in after adjusting a mirror or face shield while riding.

Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If you don’t have riding pants Frogg Toggs work good at stopping wind.

at 50 degrees a few base layers is doable but an electric jacket liner makes it oh so much better.

I’d take electric-jacket liner over heater grips. Mittens and heat packs work until you can save up the money for heated grips.

if it not super time sensitive a 6 hour ride can be broken into three 2 hour rides or six 1 hour rides. If you get cold stop and get warm. If you are fretting about getting cold take a car and save the bike for warmer days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Post ride report ... many thanks for the suggestions. The Oxford grips, original hand guards plus my winter upgrades (bar risers and shoutout to the @richlandrick fork brace) and I feel as if I have a new bike now.
What I did learn is to hit my summer goal of a IBA Saddlesore 1k I'm gonna need a bit more seat padding ;-) and a taller windshield. But this 400mile each direction trip has given me more confidence that I can achieve the IBA challenge.

Again, many thanks to this forum!
Patrick

21 - 27 of 27 Posts