StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I'm considering a 6hr ride next weekend (Nebraska - Tulsa, OK), and it looks like the average temps will be in the 50s. So, looking for suggestions on what I could accessorize my bike with to make the ride a bit more comfortable. I only have about $200 to work with and my 2011 650 bike is pretty much stock. I do not have hand guards, which was one item I was considering.
This will be the longest ride I've done on this bike. My previous longest was about a 3 1/2 hr ride in Cali last summer.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks again for this forum and the comradery the group provides.
Patrick

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Some additional info would be helpful:
Superslab or Back Roads?
Stock or aftermarket seat?
How long have you continuously been in the seat?
Yada Yada Yada

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some additional info would be helpful:
Superslab or Back Roads?
Stock or aftermarket seat?
How long have you continuously been in the seat?
Yada Yada Yada
Mostly state Hiway 75 (2-lane/4-lane in spots)
Stock seat
most time in seat -- 2hrs, prior to raising my bars this winter

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just put a set of Oxford grips on and it makes 50F downright pleasant.

Good sunglasses and a spare pair maybe.

GPS of some flavor (phone, garmin, etc) can be super handy if you hit a detour, if you have a change of plans, etc etc etc.

·
Vendor
5,648 Posts
Upper 50's for me is all year round jacket, boots, and jeans or riding pants in lower 50s. But I already have Oxford grips and after market hand guards. I don't break out the heated jacket liner until the low 40s. Fahrenheit.

If you haven't added handguards now would be a good time. And this is a time when a mask is kinda nice.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you have a thermal neck gaiter? For me it's a must-have for highway speeds when it's below about 65F.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome! So, going to order the heated grips. Is there a preferred brand of hand guards?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thermal neck gaiter? Never heard of such ...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I like fleece lined leather neck guards (bandana). Put the bandana on around your mouth and fasten behind the head, put on your jacket and tuck in the bandana. Pull on your helmet. Effectively keeps the wind from going under your helmet.

Reactions: Demorative

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Good ideas, my body I can keep warm down to the high 40's with good coat, overpants, and balaclava, or neckerchief.
But yeah, my hands... guards and heated grips. $$$ well spent. I have Oxfords on this bike, they are awesome, I never run them at high. Gloves with gauntlets, cover your neck and any other exposed skin, the wind on bare skin is your enemy for that long. I like a thin balaclava if its cold too, covers your chin and neck , ez to pack.

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
142 Posts
Lightweight snowmobile helmet liner/neck warmer is my choice (since I have a bunch of them already) but they do a great job of keeping the front and back of the neck warm and even reduces (nay, eliminates) ant cold draft inside the helmet. When the neck and head are warm most of the rest of the body is a lot easier to feel comfortable.
My Strom already had some terrific handgaurds and some ShowChrome heated grips.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. I have the Suzuki handguards and they do a pretty good job with wind deflection. When it gets chilly out, and traveling, layer up. I usually have 2-3 layers and have found my hands don't get nearly as cold when I am warm everywhere else...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
One of my rules is:
- If I get cold - I STOP, get off the bike and take a break to get warm BEFORE getting back on the bike.
When you're cold, you will tend to make a riding mistake. Mistakes are not good on a bike.

Ride Safe - Shiny Side Up^ :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If you want to block the wind from your lower half cheaply, you can always use rain pants over your regular riding gear.
It works :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts