Strom Trooper banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I didn't mind the factory Bridgestones and got a lot of miles out of them. I changed them at 8300 miles and still had some life left in the rear.

I installed Trail Attack 3s on my 14 1000 and my wife's CTX700 and they've been great in all conditions so far. They've only been on gravel roads but that's the most they will see. They are quiet, are supposed to warm up fast, are good in the rain, they handled gravel just fine, roll smooth down the road, are stable in turns, and overall really enhanced the steering. The Strom seems to turn more sharp and feel more agile with them.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm currently rocking Angel Gts, they stick a lot more than my previous tires, even the T31s.

Two things to mention: The front tire isn't very stable at 100mph+ and there is no way i'm gonna hit anything close to 20000kms with that back tire.

Ps: lol magical offroad tires that grip as much as rosso II.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have to Remember What it was designed for!

At road speeds the bike does a great job on twisty roads, but even with the suspension cranked up tight the machine feels a bit loose at high speeds. Take 'er easy, enjoy the ride =)
Sometimes I think we forget what the DL1000 was designed for. It is not a canyon crasher although at my advanced age (73) it does all I need it to do. Maybe with a different front end and 17" front wheel it would do much better, but is that what most people want from the bike. . :smile2:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm dragging foot pegs with a Shinko on the front and a worn out Metzler on the back. A good set of road tires would be wasted on me.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
I'm dragging foot pegs with a Shinko on the front and a worn out Metzler on the back. A good set of road tires would be wasted on me.
Maybe, but road only type tires are generally going to give a smoother ride and more often than not longer mileage. Don't overlook the ride, especially on the DL 650 where the front forks are not the most compliant as delivered!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a set of Michelin Pilots on my previous 08. Plenty grippy on pavement, wore "BIB" off the edges front & rear.
Good in the rain, terrifying in the dirt.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went with a Battlewing front for sticky braking and crisp turning considerations and a Shinko 705 rear for pushing me on the fire roads that I camp on. I am very happy with the combination.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wonder if there is a 17” wheel off of another Suzuki that will fit. I see a guy did a conversion on an older wee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been riding with the Continental TKC 70 and cannot fault them. I find them really good for on road and for dirt roads. I just replaced the front after 18,000km and had no hesitation to go TKC 70 again. The rear is still okay but not for that much longer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I personally ride with Bridgestone A40 Battlax and like them a lot. For stickier but versatile, you may take a look at Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2’s. My only experience with them is on Multistrada 1200 Test rides but they come OEM on there as well as several other competent bikes. Look to be pretty well reguarded

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe, but road only type tires are generally going to give a smoother ride and more often than not longer mileage. Don't overlook the ride, especially on the DL 650 where the front forks are not the most compliant as delivered!
My thinking is this. I have to watch that I don`t drag hard bits in the twists. That`s with proper form. Maybe I`d get a bit more speed or smoother transition and ride but any off road would be out the window. Hobbling a Stroms off road ability would be a shame. Imho most people don`t really need a better tire, they need better technique. Now if your riding an R1 get all the stick`m you can.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for all the input guys. I’m pretty confident with my riding technique. I’ve been riding sport bikes for years. I still have my BMW S1000rr that I bought new in 2013. I’m just too fat to rid it comfortably anymore and have an Achilles issue. That’s why I moved to an adventure style bike with my Aprilia ETV 1000. I then bought the Strom. I don’t really do any off-road riding except for a few miles of gravel and dirt I have on my commute. To be honest I didn’t have any issue on those roads with my sport bikes. The Strom is also a little better at absorbing pot holes in our completely deteriorated roads. I just never really liked the adventure tires much. I guess that’s why I’m looking for a more sport type tire as opposed to a dual purpose tire. There just doesn’t seem to be a lot of those choices available with this 19” front. I’m whittling down the options that are available.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
You will never get the answer to this question from a forum with so many different riding styles and wants.

Tyres (aussie) are a personal thing, you must have confidence in them to enjoy your ride.

I decided to try some Anakee 3's after going on some group rides with other stromer's, there was no doubt those on the 3's were doing better in the dry, in the wet & in the dirt, I swapped the Bridgestone's for 3's and was amazed at the extra traction they gave me, this gave me more confidence and a more enjoyable ride.

My next bike came with new boots, TK70's I liked that idea as I had heard good things and was keen to try them, I dumped them at about 5,000ks, I hatted them and could not build confidence in them so it was back to the 3's for me.

I have had some weekends away with guys that like their TK's, the first as it turned out his speeds were about half of my speeds so that explained a lot, on another ride the guy was on a Tenere, we were pushing it hard down a great bike road when we stopped he commented on how many times his TC cut in, I had no such troubles but he still insisted the TK's were a great tyre.

I don't care what I pay for tyres I just want the safest tyre I can get for my type of riding.

Some talk about scraping pegs and chicken strips, to me that is meaning less, I test all my tyres for stopping distance, I have some local spots I use all with different surfaces, I bring the bike to a standstill in the shortest distance possible, this allows me to compare one set of tyres against the others and also helps me loose or build confidence in my tyre choice.

I do continue to test my tyres as they wear, the PR4's on my MT09 were great when new but as they have worn down the stopping distance has increased.

On my Strom's I have only tested the original Bridgestone's, the TK70's and the Anakee 3's, the 3's perform far better in my test and it would take a lot to get me to change to anything else.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well I put my tires on today. I went a whole different direction. I bought shinko 804 and 805. Thought I’d try them as there were so many hits for them when I was researching tires. I’ll probably wear out the rear by the end of the season then I’ll decide what route I want to take next.

The front went on easy. The rear was a bit tougher. The front balance with no effort. Used a small 5 weight. Not sure what it was. Something I bought years ago. The rear was ridiculous. Ended up with an ounce and a half divided up into 3 spots. Took about an hour. I’ve never had that much trouble balancing a tire before.

I haven’t gone for a ride yet. I’m going out later so I’ll scrub them in tonight. One thing I dislike right off the bat is that they make my bike much taller then the Michelin’s. I’m short already and these tires have me one footing it. I might be lowering the bike soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well I rode about 20 miles. Kind of feels like I have a pair of Crocks for tires. I’ve got to put some more miles down to get them scrubbed in. It’ll break the tire free in 3rd if I wack the throttle.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I spooned on a pair of Continental Road Attack 3 last weekend. Very smooth riding tire. I have a lot more confidence on the cloverleafs since there are no twistys near by. The old wings lasted 10k with tread left over.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts