StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We’re looking for some help in planning a ride into Canada next summer….. end of July - first part of August. We’re looking for a few ideas about places to see/visit (don’t miss this…. type of stuff). We are planning on crossing into Canada, around Hwy 97 at Osoyoos. Riding Hwy 3 east (Crowsnest Hwy) towards Cranbrook. Would like to ride up to Banft/Jasper….. then back into the states on Hwy 93 heading towards Glacier National Park as we start to ride back home. Also looking for any campgrounds that have yurts/cabins etc. similar to KOA Campgrounds here in the States. We’re looking forward to visiting some of the British Columbia area. PM me ….. we can hook up with emails. Thank You!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
We’re looking for some help in planning a ride into Canada this summer….. end of July - first part of August. We’re looking for a few ideas about places to see/visit (don’t miss this…. type of stuff). We are crossing into Canada as of now (plans can change) Hwy 97 at Osoyoos.
?? Today is October 13th.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..... I know.... we have a family reunion in Bend, OR that we are trying to plan around..... Gives us the winter to work out the "this and that" and save our $$

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
You made it sound like you are on the trip "We are crossing into Canada as of now". Maybe some future tense at least along with a mention of 2012 would make things clearer. I thought this was a lost post that finally made it to the server until the same message appeared at VSRI.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Start by asking the provincial governments.

Here are two starting points:
The Province of British Columbia - Discover BC
Government of Alberta: Tourism

I do not say these are the best starting points, but they seem to be authentic government services, and not merchants pretending to be official sources of information, but really interested in routing your money into their pockets.

July in Alberta has one highlight that you really must experience, the Calgary Stampede. This happens early in July, and is the loudest and most boisterous event in Alberta every year. The whole city participates; for example, you can step out of your hotel room and be greeted by Calgarians cooking a free pancake breakfast for you.

British Columbia is a terrific place to visit, full of wonderful places to ride and great scenery to view and photograph. The coast road north from Vancouver is called Sea-to-Sky, and is a treat to ride. It keeps going as far north and as far into the interior as you want to go. I think it goes over the pole and into Russia. :yesnod:

From the above starting points, you can request maps, brochures, and information packages from government sources and from all kind of tourist attractions: dude ranches, fishing outfitters and guides, hotels, zip-line sites, boat rentals, glacier hiking sites, and on and on. Your mailbox will be as full as you want it to get.

I crossed into Canada at Osoyoos BC in 2006, and the first question I was asked was why I had chosen such an out-of-the-way crossing point. It occurred to me to reply, "Well, I figgered that you rubes wouldn't know marijuana from oregano." but I merely said that I was riding a scenic route, and what more appropriate place to cross than this lovely town.

Meanwhile, I like your choice of US-93 to go north. This highway follows the Salmon river downstream (= northward) through a generally narrow valley. The river is too turbulent for navigation (so said Lewis and Clark) but that makes it scenic and lovely. You are almost compelled to ride I-90 west to Spokane en route to Osoyoos, but the route from Spokane WA to Osoyoos goes through very scenic country and past the Grande Coulee Dam, which is worth a long look.

You will enjoy your ride immensely, as I did. I did no planning; I just rode out of Toronto ON headed west to Vancouver, and I knew I would find loveliness wherever I rode. If you give the provincial governments a chance, they will give you a wealth of information. Most of it will be true.

Good luck on your venture.
Keith

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Too hasty

I didn't read your original message accurately, so I thought you were using US-93 to go north through Idaho, which I did in 2006. Actually you said you would be going SOUTH on US-93, so the stuff I told you about getting from 93 to Osoyoos was useless. Oh, well, ink is cheap, especially on a screen. It's more expensive and time consuming to get the dang white-out OFF the screen ...

Yes, the provinces will gladly send you lots of maps and pamphlets. I recall one ironic event I witnessed at a Government of Canada Rest Area near Regina Saskatchewan. Someone wanted a map of Saskatchewan, and balked at the price, $3.95 plus tax, so went away mapless. A minute later somebody headed south asked for information on Montana, and got a free map of Montana! Yup, we'll sell you maps of here and give you maps of there ... now, why are y'all spending money THERE?

I hope Saskatchewan has wised up, but I won't be back to check for a while.

Keith

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are in the Jasper area, we enjoyed Miette Hot Springs. It is a bit off the beaten path with an interesting mountain road to the site. There are cabins at the site, although likely pricier than KOA. It may still be worth it for a day of relaxing. You have a choice of two hot pools and a cold pool, with a small restaurant at the site. If I recall, staying on a weekend may require a multi night stay. There are also lots of other hot springs in BC that could be looked up in some of the government tourism resources previously mentioned.

There is also a destination highways map book available for BC. The authors give a description of motorcycle suitable roads, as well as information on what can be found along or at the end of some of the VStrom suitable (gravel) roads that run off these roads.

Although I am not from the west, I have probably logged over 10,000 km in Alberta and BC in the last four years. PM if you want to talk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts