StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 V Strom 650, 2014 BMW C 650 GT, 2006 Honda Silverwing, 2009 BMW F650 FS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am from Greenville NC, and fairly new to the Vstrom world. Looking for good rides in the area up to a few hundred miles away. I know the Outer Banks rides is supposed to be great and looking forward to doing that soon.
My wife and I have an anniversary trip planned for the first week of June that will go from Natural Bridge VA, up the Blue Ridge Parkway for 30 or 40 miles and then onto Skyline drive. We will be staying a week in that area spending about half the nights in hotels and the other half camping.
I have seen there is a Vstrom rally in the western part of the state at the end of this month. Unfortunately with my planned trip the first week of June I will not be able to make it out there. However a cabin has already been reserved in that area the second week of October, so should catch some of the fall color show.
I also go up to the Jamestown/Williamsburg/Yorktown area fairly often and enjoy that ride as well.

Are there any other great rides that someone would recommend in this part of the country?

I have recently purchased a camera and thinking about doing a video diary of some of these trips so I can share with friends and family. I currently have a put a few up, but they are more me trying to figure out what I can do with the camera vs here are some great rides. All of it is local stuff.

Click here for videos on Youtube

Looking forward to some adventures that are not just miles of blacktop rolling by.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks for any reply's.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Skip Skyline drive. It is 35 MPH and heavily policed and you have to pay to enter. It is not nearly as nice as the BRP. I really love the BRP its fun to do in its entirety.

If riding the BRP please verify the section you are riding are open. Last year there were several sections closed due to rockslides or other road repairs. Not sure if and when all repairs are to be made.

I prefer to ride the mountains and while the Outer Banks is nice for the the relaxed beach scene its boring riding antime you get east of the Appalachian's

If you are in NC might I suggest you hop on NC-16 and take it through to VA-16 (back of the Dragon) and into WV-16 up to the Ohio border. It is 460 +/- of great road (save for around Beckley). The nicety is its one road so you can focus on having fun and not worry with the route.

Also 219 or 220 in WV are great roads the run north/south that sort of parallel the BRP.

If you like scenic valleys look up Blue Grass VA. It is AMAZING.

So many roads so little time. Don't waste it on Skyline Drive

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
All The roads marked in yellow are great!!!

If you travel close to Robbinsville, NC, be sure to ride the Dragon and Cherohala.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway is great and I'm OK with Skyline too just not sure why the speed limit drops on it.
The Back of the Dragon as mentioned is good and check out Burke's Garden AKA God's Thumbprint for an interesting destination.

Probably riding the BRP ahead of the rally in a couple weeks myself. Southern sections of BRP are best.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The Back of the Dragon is Hwy 16 out of Marion VA.

The Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap) is Hwy 129 north of Robbinsville, NC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts