StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tank bag would you recommend for a V-Strom 1000?

Winston

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (on the way)
1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (current ride)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tank Bag

joe rocket manta xl, magnetic bag, works great on my 1000 does not do anything to surface of tank, great bag!

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
+1 for Joe Rocket Manta

Holds everything I need/use regularly; wallet, phone, sunglasses, Side stand puck, sunscreen, capstick, watch, rag (for cleaning visor), etc.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tour Master/Cortech Super 18 (magnetic)

never moves. big enough. out of the way while riding. rain cover. coverts to a backpack if you have to leave the bike in a sketchy parking spot.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One more for the Joe Rocket Manta XL.

Fits the tank well. I've been using it daily for two months and there is no damage to paint or wear in the bag. Large enough to hold, workout clothes and shoes. One negative - no clear map pocket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
-1 on the Wolfman... Yes, love the clear map pouch on top, construction is top-notch and yes it fits the Vee very well, but thats where the compliments stop. I hate the mounting systems, taking off the seat, feeding straps between the frame and the fairings... I am getting much faster at it and it still takes me 10min to fully get all the straps ready to attach the tank bag. Just my 2 cents. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just a note on the Wolfman. I have the large wolfman tankbag (Ranier) with multiple pockets and it straps on. Once adjusted all I do is release the front two quick release connectors and lay the bag back on the seat to fill up. After fueling lay the bag back in place and reconnect quick connects. Straps in my opinion are much safer than Magnets since I NEVER take off the tank bag except when washing the bike or maintenance. I've had the bag on for 3 years and the tank looks like brand new under the bag. No scratches. just my .02

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really like my Firstgear Silverstone. It's just the right size for the essentials (gloves, phone, keys, tire gauge, pens, pad, etc.) It seems like it was made for the tank on the Strom. They have a pic at newenough of it on a strom. I use mine 180 degrees from the way they show it. Looks good (and fits) that way as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just a note on the Wolfman. I have the large wolfman tankbag (Ranier) with multiple pockets and it straps on. Once adjusted all I do is release the front two quick release connectors and lay the bag back on the seat to fill up. After fueling lay the bag back in place and reconnect quick connects. Straps in my opinion are much safer than Magnets since I NEVER take off the tank bag except when washing the bike or maintenance. I've had the bag on for 3 years and the tank looks like brand new under the bag. No scratches. just my .02
I have the Nelson Rigg tank bag. I do the same thing when I fill up. I was in Custer SD last July and filled my bike up before I left in the morning. I got everything strapped down and could not find my key! SHIT!SHIT!SHIT!!!!!
I looked around for 10 minutes. I finally undid the two front latches and found my key. It was bent 90 degrees and very nearly broke right at the top of the fuel cap! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! About this time some old guy and his wife pulled in with a 5th wheel travel trailer that was to tall for the canopy that was over the fuel pumps. He was cutting the corner and was scraping the side of his trailer on the canopy. I grabbed my bike and was pushing it out of the way in case everything came tumbling down. He just kept driving, tearing the Hell out of his trailer. Anyhow, after pushing my bike out to the far reaches of the parking lot, I got my heart rate down to normal and CAREFULLY removed my key and tried to straighten it out. Nope. Luckily my wife insisted I take my spare key. She still does not know she pretty much saved my trip.

Which reminds me I need to get a new key made!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Dusty

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Nelson Rigg tank bag. I do the same thing when I fill up. I was in Custer SD last July and filled my bike up before I left in the morning. I got everything strapped down and could not find my key! SHIT!SHIT!SHIT!!!!!
I looked around for 10 minutes. I finally undid the two front latches and found my key. It was bent 90 degrees and very nearly broke right at the top of the fuel cap! SHIT! SHIT! SHIT! About this time some old guy and his wife pulled in with a 5th wheel travel trailer that was to tall for the canopy that was over the fuel pumps. He was cutting the corner and was scraping the side of his trailer on the canopy. I grabbed my bike and was pushing it out of the way in case everything came tumbling down. He just kept driving, tearing the Hell out of his trailer. Anyhow, after pushing my bike out to the far reaches of the parking lot, I got my heart rate down to normal and CAREFULLY removed my key and tried to straighten it out. Nope. Luckily my wife insisted I take my spare key. She still does not know she pretty much saved my trip.

Which reminds me I need to get a new key made!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Dusty
:green_lol: Sorry, couldn't help it, funny story.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No problem! Moral of the story; Stay out of Custer SD! Seriously, Small town, lots of tourist from all over the world, some of which have never driven a car before. I was glad to scrub the dust from that place off of my tires. Bad Mojo! To bad, because there is some great riding there, except for the traffic.

Oh yeah, also always carry a spare key, and remove it from the gas cap before you strap your tank bag down!

Dusty

·
Registered
182 Posts
-1 on the Wolfman... I hate the mounting systems, taking off the seat, feeding straps between the frame and the fairings... I am getting much faster at it and it still takes me 10min to fully get all the straps ready to attach the tank bag. Just my 2 cents. :thumbdown:
It's just like every other tank bag with straps I have owned. I never remove the straps when the bag is off the bike. My legs keep them in place. Same with the upper ones. I never take them off. In fact, the thought never once has occurred to me over all the years, all the miles and all the long trips.

I did buy the X strap from Wolfman which would solve that problem. that was more because I thought it was a cool idea than I would really use it.

Sounds like you really need a bags connection bag if you don't like straps.

+2 on the Wolfman to negate his minus one :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts