StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am hiring a bike on the North Island for a week, what roads and places are a must see/do. I will be on a road bike 2 up. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,517 Posts
From Auckland I assume? P38arover is correct in that the best riding, and with far less traffic, is in the South Island. That is where the bigger mountain chains are. It is very much like Tasmania.
See the map below. It could be ridden in 8 hours but you would be passing through many of the popular holiday destinations. You could add an Opotiki to Opotiki loop via Te Aroaha and Gisborne and then head for Rotorua.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Agree, south better. North very commercial and full of tourists, south very back to nature, still have tourists but heaps better for mountains and exploring I think.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi I am hiring a bike on the North Island for a week, what roads and places are a must see/do. I will be on a road bike 2 up. Thanks.
Despite what everyone else says, there is still a lot of fun riding in the North Island! What other activities are you looking to get involved in? I always recommend people head to Bay of Islands (particularly Northland Dive if you are into Scuba as well). The Far North in general is pretty good, although at times the road quality ain't great.

As for known about roads, in the North Island, the big ones are The Gentle Annie, The Forgotten World Highway and the Coro loop (part of which is included in Brockie's map). The loop particularly gets clogged with holiday makers through summer, and also riders being muppets (which might be your thing).

You might have trouble finding it as its out of print and not available online but "New Zealand motorcycle atlas" by Peter Mitchell has a couple great routes for touring around and seeing all the country. Both sticking to tarmac and gravel. It might be too late for your planning, but the Auckland libraries have a couple copies reserved for in library use only. You could stop and have a quick read before setting off on your travels.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Entirely with Rambaldi here, obviously someone who knows the place.
Also have to disagree with a few other North Island statements above.

I reckon it's the best choice for a single week of NZ travels...and would highly recommend to rather "do" one area a little more in depth than trying to string together 500k' days.
Easy enough on the dopey straights in Oz, but entirely non-applicable in NZ.
North or South.

I'd suggest to spend that week NOT through the center of the NI (which means LOTS of bike time, lots of k's but little time for anything else) but the Northland (everything north of Auckland) and maybe add the Coromandel (and not just the loop!), if there's enough time left. Work with a 250-300k daily average if you actually want to see something of the place, get off the bike to walk up a lookout or a rock-arch down the beach, a scenic lunch on a beach with locally smoked Hoki etc.

A million bends, never-ending hills, lots of attractions of all sorts and never more than 50k's away from a magnificent coastline, fabulous beaches, National Parks, Forests etc.
Better weather, more stable than the SI (west coast in particular) and by far not as overrun and plasticky/ touristy as many of the SI hubs.

Here's the link on a TWO-week Northland (north of AKL) yarn with LOTS of pics, most places are reachable via sealed roads.

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6335

Looks like we might be swapping doorhandles at the the AKL airport then :wink2:
Will be there with the AusTouring crew for a 2week North Island ride to map the Wairarapa area north-east of Wellington in March/ April.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A week dosen't leave you a lot of time but it should be awesome no matter what you do .

Another source of info is the Kiwi Biker website .

If you're heading down towards the Wellington region Route 52 is an awesome ride from Napier to Masterton ( refreshing at the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel , Porangahau ) keeping away from most traffic but watch for sheep .

The East Coast route from Opotiki to Gisborne is a spectacular trip passing thru Tolaga Bay .

And the Bay of Islands is a fantastic part of the North Island .

You have a lot of choices

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it. I'm over there for three weeks but only doing the bike for one. Will have to look at doing the South Island sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just a liiittle too big for a week.:surprise:
Also involves LOTS of slow going, gravel, sand, beaches, mud, rainforest etc.
Getting asked frequently how long it would take to ride the entire thing incl. all its side-trips and extras, I just have to throw up my hands and take a simple guess.
Considering it took a good 50.000mi/ 80.000km over 3 decades to dig it all up and somehow string it together into a continuous ADV route, I'd say around 3 months of continuous travels, no rest days, no rain, no bad conditions, no breakdowns and absolutely everything falling into place first go.

Which is impossible, as many of the routes and roads are closed/ snowed in/ flooded etc. through certain times of the year.
DOC and National Parks closures due to weather, seasons etc
Some places require permits, bookings, pre-arranged keys for gates, free slots on ferries and old steamers, certain water levels in lakes and rivers and endless other "obstacles" possibly/ regularly impeding progress.

A few years of month-long rides, carefully picked, should do the trick, though :smile2:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Hope you've had a great time over there and the weather was kind to you. :)

Just back ourselves tasting another 3500k's of backroads and gravel. Judicious use of the weather maps served up 3 damp/ drizzly mornings and 2 overcast but dry days.... the rest of the fortnight was crowned by blue-skies and sunshine while the South Island copped a gigantic black-out for a whole week with over 3'6'" of rain washing away bridges, stranding 100s of tourists for a week, destroying planes in their hangars etc.

The North Island proved a wise and somewhat lucky choice while finishing the collection of pics and data to complete the now 15.000km long New Zealand ADV-route with some absolutely stunning places, beaches, lookouts and a bucketload of world-class gravel roads, old tunnels and suspension bridges etc.
The rental DR's and XT's ran great, proving once more to be the perfect match for the local terrain.

I'll post a link to the soon-to-be-finished project as well as a still -to-be-written ride-report, as linked pics don't seem to display here. :surprise::confused:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes had a good week we hired a Yamaha MT09 Tracer with topbox, panniers and so on. Did a little bit of dirt but 95% sealed. The Yamaha was very good two up.
Cheers
Drew

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes had a good week we hired a Yamaha MT09 Tracer with topbox, panniers and so on. Did a little bit of dirt but 95% sealed. The Yamaha was very good two up.
Cheers
Drew
Great to hear. The Tracer is a damn popular choice, good bike!
Any more NZ plans brewing?

Maybe some ideas here...
14500km of NZ ADV-route, 600+ pics, 50+ maps, NZ in 11 "portions", each worth a holiday or 2 :)
Adventure-Touring New Zealand...Top To Bottom - AusTouring.com

cheers
P

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information, I'm busy organizing rides for the Townsville Restored Motorcycle Club at the moment. Planning a ride out to Winton in a couple of weeks to sort out accommodation etc. I have been asked about a club ride in NZ but too busy at this point in time. The club did a group trip to the IOM in 2015 and a few of did a ride through Vietnam last year. Who did you hire your bikes from oe do you have a stash of bikes over there? I'm not sure which would be better to ship a bike over or to hire one especially if going for an extended time like a month.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the information, I'm busy organizing rides for the Townsville Restored Motorcycle Club at the moment. Planning a ride out to Winton in a couple of weeks to sort out accommodation etc. I have been asked about a club ride in NZ but too busy at this point in time. The club did a group trip to the IOM in 2015 and a few of did a ride through Vietnam last year. Who did you hire your bikes from oe do you have a stash of bikes over there? I'm not sure which would be better to ship a bike over or to hire one especially if going for an extended time like a month.
Sounds like a lively band up there :)

We've been with https://www.motorcycle-hire.co.nz/ for yonks due to the fact that there are not a lot of DR/XT style bikes available as rentals (and those listed with various mobs are often the same lot that keeps doing the rounds/ sub-rented). Different story if just booking one or a couple....Rental-Stroms are aplenty and everyone has 'em in their fleet.
We shipped our bikes for a 6 week trip with "Get Routed" and after it was all over and everything said+done, decided to never ship again... not to NZ nor anywhere else.
The actual shipping cost is the least portion of the whole exercise....do a proper balance sheet of REAL cost on it and it's either rent (up to about 5 or 6 weeks) or buy/ sell locally for any longer stints.
4 week is a long-term rental and one can negotiate rates accordingly.
But then, some folks are hung up on "THEIR" bike to do the trip on and that's mostly what keeps the shippers happy.
Each to their own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts