StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed a scraping type sound coming from the rear wheel of my 08 wee. You can hear it barely while just rolling the bike in neutral, but when moving at a higher speed (~10mph), while coasting with the clutch in, it becomes much more noticeable.

Its hard to tell what's causing this (which is why I'm asking you guys) but here's what I've learned so far:

-One side of my rear brake rotor feels rougher than the other side or either front rotors

-While I pushed the bike, my buddy listened back there and said he didn't think it was the chain.

-The noise is cyclical. Sounds like its only making the noise for short bursts about once or twice per wheel rotation. "ssssssk..........ssssssk....." sounds like metal rubbing together, but not really grinding.

-I can't hear a similar noise in the front brake area (so I assume it's not a normal brake scraping sound)

-The chain is slightly looser than it was when I adjusted it a few weeks ago. But I'm doubting the chain as the culprit since my buddy didn't hear it

-The noise can't be heard when the rear brake is applied (either its being drowned out by the noise of the brake, or the brake is making the noise I suppose)

Thank y'all in advance for your opinions!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Take things off one thing at a time, spin the wheel, and find when the noise ends.
--Take a very close look to see if anything is rubbing against wheel, rotor, sprocket, etc.
--Use something (screwdriver, etc) to pry the brake pads away from the rotor and spin the wheel.
--Take the chain off, hang it aside, and spin the wheel
--Take the wheel off, remove the sprocket, and test the bearings in wheel and sprocket. If there is any sign of rust coming out of a bearing or any roughness at all when you hold the wheel and spin it holding the axle in your hands, renew the bearings. Put a finger in the bearing and rotate the bearing--the smallest feeling of roughness is a sign that the bearing is junk.
As long as you've got things apart--Check that the chain is good with no kinks or loose or tight links
--Check that the rubber cush drive dampers are holding the sprocket tightly.

If the noise is from the brake, you can lightly sandpaper the rotor to remove the high spots. If there is ample friction material on the pads, put a piece of fine sandpaper on a flat surface and resurface the pads. Be sure the slides on the caliper are clean, lubed with brake caliper lube, and moving freely. Be sure the piston looks clean and not packed with dirt so it can't slide.

·
Registered
250 Posts
culprit: rotors or bearings?

I agree with all PTPrider suggested;

I don't have a lot of ride time with my Wee, but after my 11+ years of street riding I can only think that the kind of noise that you described would be due to worn/warped/grooved brake rotors/pads or bad wheel bearings.

An '08 Wee has '08 wheel bearings, which makes it a little early for them to be going out on you; I suppose if your Wee has seen a lot of off-road riding, dust could be sneaking past the seals and getting into the bearings.

Interesting that only one side of your rear brake rotor is rougher; maybe in the past (or RIGHT NOW!) the rear pads needed to be replaced and it was metal to metal on one side of the rotor.

If the noise is occurring in equal intervals per wheel rotation, it's probably not the chain, since the wheel spins more than once per full cycle of the chain.

k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I decided to stop by the local shop this afternoon for a more trained ear to listen to it. He quickly discovered it was the brakes. Pads were worn down. New ones on now, and working like new.

Thanks again for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts